Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2

For the rest of your otaku life.
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2

#1 Post by TsukiShima »

BEWARE! This post is full of spoilers to those who doesn't know this game.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to begin, but yes, it's a game, it's not that new, but they have a new season for it, and was just released 18 August 2011! Why not many people know about this? *cries a river*
I still don't own the game yet, I have seen everything about it! The graphics are good just so good, and characters are cute (even for me who prefers guys over girls) and the story is just great. I'm a fan of these type of games, and I'm happy NIS released an english version for this game. Unfortunately, my country doesn't sell this game yet, and most of my friends doesn't know this game.

I'm a bit sad that most people will only know something (mostly a game) if they made an anime based on it.

Hyperdimension Neptunia (超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ, Chōjigen Geimu Neputyūnu?, lit. "Super Dimensional Game Neptune") is a 2010 role-playing video game developed by Idea Factory and published by Compile Heart (distributed by Sega) in Japan and NIS America in North America and Tecmo Koei in Europe exclusively for Sony's PlayStation 3. The game is a take on the seventh generation era "console war" between the three major consoles: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.[2] It was shown at a closed door event during the Game Developers Conference 2010 on March 2010 in San Francisco.[3] The game was released on August 19, 2010 in Japan, in North America on February 15, 2011, in Europe on March 4, 2011, and in Australia on March 31, 2011.

A sequel, titled Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (or Choujigen Game Neptune mk2 in Japan) was announced on April 12, 2011. It is scheduled to be released on August 18, 2011 in Japan. There has been no mention of a Western release as of yet. The sequel will contain brand new main characters, as well as returning characters, and the gameplay has been updated so as to remove the random encounter feature. New maps and a brand new world will be featured as well, and the cutscenes have been upgraded from the old 2D visual novel style cutscenes. The story focuses on the younger sisters of Neptune, Noire (Black Heart), and Blanc (White Heart) on a quest to save the goddesses after they are defeated and captured by Arfoire. The time period for the game is known as 20XX, which possibly not coincidentally, is the same time period name given to the Megaman X series. The game is due to be released as a special edition with a Purple Heart figurine, a Purple Sister figurine, a soundtrack, and an art book. It is being co-produced by Idea Factory and Compile Heart, with assistance from Nippon Ichi Software, Gust Corporation, and the recently founded company Comcept by Keiji Inafune.

-copy paste from wiki-
I personally can't wait to get my hands on the game, or maybe just see others playing it ;__;
Last edited by TsukiShima on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2

#2 Post by LVUER »

Yes, I'm also waiting for this one. If it ever gets localized, I'll surely buy it ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#3 Post by yummy »

I know about this game, even if I don't posess a PS3 myself (I even considered for a moment buying one just for this game haha).
It has an air of Xenogears, Xenosaga and IS. And its story is great.
It combines classic JRPG, monster battle, tactics... Well, in short it's a great game.

Unfortunately it won't ever be available in my country (and that's pretty much why I didn't buy a PS3).

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by TsukiShima »

It's good to know there are other fans other than myself. I'm sure that somehow this game will own it place one day, and I would be happy to be one of the original game fans. It's like what happened to Uta no Prince Sama, as a game, no one actually knows it at all.
Anyway, this is really a great game.
yummy wrote:I know about this game, even if I don't posess a PS3 myself (I even considered for a moment buying one just for this game haha).
It has an air of Xenogears, Xenosaga and IS. And its story is great.
It combines classic JRPG, monster battle, tactics... Well, in short it's a great game.

Unfortunately it won't ever be available in my country (and that's pretty much why I didn't buy a PS3).
Why won't it ever be available? At my place, it's just 'rare' and hard to find. I still owned a PS3 because many games now are made for that platform. Maybe you should wait till the price drops a lil.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

I want it so bad! I wish they would port it to the wii or xbox.... /lame

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

I've heard the first Neptunia game described as funny, but with serious gameplay flaws. Unless it suddenly starts attracting many more fans, it will probably remain a PS3 exclusive.

From what I've read, the second Neptunia game is all but confirmed for localization. It will have relationship values, for those who are interested.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

gekiganwing wrote:I've heard the first Neptunia game described as funny, but with serious gameplay flaws.
You hit in on the head! I started playing and liked the light-hearted story, VN style... And then the dungeons began. :cry: The whole thing runs like you're playing it on an emulator within a virtual machine on old hardware that's struggling to keep up. Thing is, the graphics aren't even impressive, so I can't for the life of me understand why the frame rate is so low and seems so laggy. Did Nippon Ichi put the junior intern staff on this game? Is it written in Java? (kidding, kidding...) The battles have the same issue and last too long. I played it once, got into 4 battles, and moved on to other things (like AT Qoga and Catherine :mrgreen: ) Maybe I'll pick it up again if I get desperate bored.

Story: Fun.
Gameplay: Uninspired and unprofessionally unresponsive.

It's too bad because I wanted to like this one (not to mention I spent $45 on it :evil: ) I'm a huge NIS America fan, but ugh. I'll give them a pass since it was gutsy to bring over, and they've released a lot of awesome stuff. If they're bringing over the sequel, though, it better address these things. Fool us with the series once, shame on them. Fool us twice, you probably start to lose fans.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

J. Datie
Veteran

#8 Post by J. Datie »

To be fair, NIS only localized the game. The game was actually developed by both Compile Heart and Idea Factory. Although, that's a thing you'd need to Internet research for, seeing as how the back of the box has five different companies on it.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#9 Post by Blue Lemma »

Okay, point taken. Shame on those two then! :lol:

It still has the NIS "blessing" though, so they're not totally off the hook in my book.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

For me, as long as there are some (cute) moe girls as heroines, I'll play the game :) That's why this game is locked on my radar
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by TsukiShima »

Ah well, I'm not one to judge, but I have seen the gameplay now, and I just found out it's a tactical battle. It does disappointed me a bit, but people do enjoy it. I hope it might be something like an addictive gameplay, something like Persona did. But I really like the designs and graphics so far, and all the characters are so cute!

Talking about NIS, I'm a one of their followers as well. They really attracted me with Disgaea. And their mascots in this game is NIS which based on Prinny, really got my attention. xD

GLACIER
Regular

#12 Post by GLACIER »

Thing is, the graphics aren't even impressive, so I can't for the life of me understand why the frame rate is so low and seems so laggy. Did Nippon Ichi put the junior intern staff on this game? Is it written in Java? (kidding, kidding...) The battles have the same issue and last too long.
By reputation, Idea Factory RPGs/SRPGs are almost universally terrible. For 15+ years, they've produced nothing but poorly designed, poorly programmed messes that earn the scorn of most who've tried them. Nevertheless, IF has always been successful at attracting some kind of following, whether it was through the "hardcore" appeal (draw up a particularly esoteric and frustrating game system so "fans" can have bragging rights. Never mind the fact that the game is always a technical mess and the design is broken) of their PS1/PS2 line or the "bishoujo" and "crossover game" hooks of the PS3 games.

It's quite a feat, really. I can't think of any other publisher that has continually thrived by peddling junk (exception = the otome games, which they milk like crazy but have a decent reputation). However, you have to admire their ability to adapt and keep up the charade.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#13 Post by yummy »

I think the issue you're bringing here is about whether a game should be considered as a toybox or as a medium for a story.

IF games had a clear tendency towards the second option and that's why it never really sold in western countries.
And why most people who consider games as toyboxes hate most of their games.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by DaFool »

GLACIER wrote: By reputation, Idea Factory RPGs/SRPGs are almost universally terrible. For 15+ years, they've produced nothing but poorly designed, poorly programmed messes that earn the scorn of most who've tried them. Nevertheless, IF has always been successful at attracting some kind of following, whether it was through the "hardcore" appeal (draw up a particularly esoteric and frustrating game system so "fans" can have bragging rights. Never mind the fact that the game is always a technical mess and the design is broken) of their PS1/PS2 line or the "bishoujo" and "crossover game" hooks of the PS3 games.

It's quite a feat, really. I can't think of any other publisher that has continually thrived by peddling junk (exception = the otome games, which they milk like crazy but have a decent reputation). However, you have to admire their ability to adapt and keep up the charade.
I completely agree, but I want to know what on earth they are smoking. Fact of the matter is that I have many Idea Factory games for the simple reason they're one of the few remaining JRPG devs who still publish for the PS3 AND localize for the West. Default choice by non-competition, so to say. Thank goodness they're balanced out by Gust, otherwise I'd go crazy. What's worse, is that their soundtracks are the most awful tunes ever... a complete waste of my surround sound system.

Granted, if I really wanted quality JRPGs I would have gotten a DS or PSP but it's the end of their respective lifecycles and their successors don't seem to have much going for them, yet.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#15 Post by LVUER »

I'm a little slow it seems. I just realized that this game have been localized early this year (meaning I'm half year behind T__T ). Well, when I buy PS3 (which should be not a long time from now) I definitely get this game.

From the official trailer, this game is plagued by the usual problem that also plagued other translated games... horrible voice over. But seeing this game is localized by NIS, I could hope they provide the option to choose Japanese voice ^_^

Now my only concern is how much they censor this game, especially since this game have "partial nudity" and "sexual themes" warning... and that this game have all moe and "high-school-girls-looking" girls protagonists.

DeviantArt Account