Your first ever video game.

For the rest of your otaku life.
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

Your first ever video game.

#1 Post by SilverxBlue »

Title says it all really, I am actually curious to know what exactly is the very first video game you guys played and the game console it was on. :)
I'm sorry if you think this is silly but I actually saw a first ever anime you watched topic so I thought "Why not?" :?

Anyway mine is Harvest moon: More friends of mineral town on the game boy advance. I tried replaying it and I honestly felt excited, like its the first time I ever played it again. Even if the graphics are no match for my DS and PSP's harvest moon games It still made me feel that way. ^^;

What actually spawned this idea of a topic in my head is; my grandmother was going to hold a garage sale and she asked his son (my uncle) to e-mail me asking if I agree to sell my Game boy advanced,the gamecube and the games they found on my cabinet of old toys. I told them "no" (Who the hell would buy the GBA anyway?) and I also told them to send it to me. Obviously, the GBA is not working anymore, and all of my game cartridges are practically almost dead when I tried it on my DS (The save files always end up corrupted -_-). But still, Words can't actually describe how very nostalgic I'm feeling right now. (I'm not really feeling any form of nostalgia on my gamecube since it's only five years old. -_-)

Okay randomness aside, just post your first ever video game or the first ever video game you remembered playing. :)

EDIT: Okay, I just realized that it was Friends of mineral town not more friends of mineral town. (Man, i still get those two confused.)
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

10kNing
Regular
Projects: Revenance (RPG), Mad-Love (GxB, on hold)

Re: Your first ever video game.

#2 Post by 10kNing »

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA SP! I was going to go overseas for the first time and mom decided to give me a Gameboy as a distraction on the plane. It worked. The scenery is absolutely beautiful for a GBA game even though I don't really care much for the plot anymore. ... Actually, I still haven't finished that game. Oh those final bosses.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

Galaga on the family computer. I was about 5 or 7 give or take. The NES was considered a luxury console here while the famicom was quite common back then. People were also under the impression that the NES was better when they basically played the same types of games.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

lordcloudx wrote:People were also under the impression that the NES was better when they basically played the same types of games.
...weren't the Famicom and the NES the same machine? So wouldn't they play the same games instead of just the same type of games?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

10kNing wrote:Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA SP! I was going to go overseas for the first time and mom decided to give me a Gameboy as a distraction on the plane. It worked. The scenery is absolutely beautiful for a GBA game even though I don't really care much for the plot anymore. ... Actually, I still haven't finished that game. Oh those final bosses.
Wow! I also have one right here, but it's one of those that doesn't work anymore. And I do remember those freaking final bosses, I think the last one even made me cry because I couldn't defeat it. :lol:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#6 Post by Niki »

I got Pokemon Blue for the GameBoy when I was seven. I remember trying for one week to get out of the house... then I realized that the mat at the door meant something. orz But I managed to get my Blastoise up to level 79 and beat the game in the end~ xD;;
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#7 Post by Death_HUG »

Mine would be Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life on the gamecube. Though I can't really remember if I finished this game ^-^;This game caused me to be a Harvest Moon fan >.<

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

@Taleweaver: Not exactly. Both machines use different physical cartridges. The NES has huge-ass square-shaped cartridges while the famicom had smaller rectangular shaped cartridges. I even still have two of those lying around. I could take a picture if anyone's interested.
I'm not sure about internal architecture but perhaps they are the same since Japanese and English nes roms pretty much run on the same emulator. I'm not knowledgeable enough about that. All I know is that I rarely, if ever, saw anyone playing rpgs on a famicom mostly because the games available for it were in Japanese.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#9 Post by manga_otaku »

Pokemon Red on Gameboy :') It was in chinese and I couldn't read it at all. Luckily, I was good with going with the flow and memorised which moves were attacks and which were defense and stuff like that. I was sad that I couldn't understand what the NPCs were saying though *cries*
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#10 Post by Aleema »

Oh jeez ... Spyro the Dragon and Final Fantasy 8. My first Playstation when I was 12. Yes, I got into it later in life than most people (so I didn't have the luxury of playing FF7 first so the FF8-haters confused me and why my alternate screenname is MASelphie -- Much Adored Selphie).

But if we want to be totally honest and actually mean the first, first ever. It was Zelda on Gameboy. My father bought a Gameboy at a garage sale and gave it to me. Gosh I was so young and ignorant. Can you believe I had absolutely no idea what a save game was? The game came with the saves of the previous owners, each named differently ... I guess I thought they were character names or level names? When I finally figured out how to make a new game, I had to overwrite the existing save games ... and for some reason I overwrote all of them. I thought it was weird it started the same way no matter what name I put in (Zelda waking up). And then I was sad! Because the old saves were so far along and I just couldn't figure out the game to get that far. I had fun fish and hitting chickens, though. Even though I enjoyed it, I've never played another Zelda game for some reason ...

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

To me, it was Wizard on my Commodore C=64. That, or maybe the C=64 version of Bruce Lee. Man, I spent tons of my time on these games...

And as for true "video games" in the sense of "console games", it was Final Fantasy Adventure for the Game Boy. Wow... that was a good story for such a small machine...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Arcanum
Veteran

#12 Post by Arcanum »

For me… it was either Pokemon Blue, for Gameboy Pocket, or Kirby for Nintendo 64, cant't remember very well XD

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#13 Post by Camille »

It was some game on the SNES... I don't remember anymore. D: I do remember playing Mortal Kombat, Battle Toads (DON'T JUDGE ME), and a few other games when I was a kid. Not sure which was my first, though. Zelda, maybe?? Man, it's been too long.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#14 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

One of my earliest memories involves me as a young child sitting on my father's lap. I recall a TV with moving images, and a man with a red cap running around a brightly colored stage. Most of the time he would have a yellow cape, and he would be riding a green animal that would use its tongue to eat monsters and fruit. Later would I come to know this game to be Super Mario World for the SNES.

The first game I actually played was Super Mario Kart, again on the SNES. Oh, the nostalgia... :lol: I actually still have my SNES, which still works after all this time. It's a blast to break out the old machine and play a couple of games.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#15 Post by Stripe »

Mine was this. :'D Oh, the memories!