CLANNAD - The Past Path- [COMPLETED]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
clannadman

CLANNAD - The Past Path- [COMPLETED]

#1 Post by clannadman »

CLANNAD -The Past Path-

A town on the coast...
A life not lived...
A lost love...
A lonely child...
A world of lights...
New and fun things...

Sites

Wordpress - http://clannadppvisualproject.wordpress.com/
Fan Website - http://dancube.com/clannad/

Media

Teaser Promo #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io4kENlFLQo
Teaser Promo #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcc35GPuMxw

Summary

The year is 1985. Naoyuki hates his unfair life. A high school student, he has been readmitted to Ushinawa High after a year living as a shut-in. His neighbours, his classmates and his teachers all look down on him and he despises them for it. But, on his first day returning, he meets a girl on his way to school and his life changes in ways he never expected it could...

Basic Information

A non-commercial prequel to the popular Clannad series by Key.
Multiple endings based on choices with a non-canon bonus romantic route included.
This is my second time making a game and I'm doing the majority of the work myself.

A Scope Games Production
Current Word Count: 100,000 words
Genre: Drama, Tragedy, Romance, Bildungsroman
Script: 98% Complete
Sprites: 100% Complete
Music: 100% Complete
Backgrounds: 100% Complete
CGs: 100% Complete
Recruitment: Beta-testers

Characters

Okazaki Naoyuki
An 18yr old of average intelligence. After some past troubles, he spent a year living as a shut-in at home. His parents managed to get him back into his high school. Lazy and unhappy with things, his life takes on a new perspective when he meets Nakamura. The protagonist of the story, you play from his perspective...

Nakamura Atsuko
A mysterious girl who's constantly finding new and fun things to occupy herself with. Seemingly calm and enthusiastic at first, she holds a dark secret and a mysterious past...

Inoue Haruka
A girl who's always losing things that you meet one day after school...

Sakamoto Miu
Okazaki's neighbour and a champion on the track and field. A little rough around the edges and a bit of an idiot, she helps Okazaki come to understand some important things about his life and his relationship...

Shige Katsuro
A student representative who won't stop hassling Okazaki about his attendance and behaviour...

Okazaki Shino
Naoyuki's mother, she is loving and caring, embarrassingly so but ultimately extremely important to him...

Fukuda Miwa
She and Naoyuki share a history. Atsuko's best friend and depending on route choices, a confidante for Naoyuki...

Screenshots

Here are some screenshots:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 5
Screenshot 5
Extras

Below are just some extra promotional materials and attachments.
Attachments
promo teaser
promo teaser
Promotional Wallpaper (1366x768)
Last edited by clannadman on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:05 am, edited 101 times in total.

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path

#2 Post by Machus »

Ah, excited!
I love Clannad, so this will probably great for me.

Can't wait!
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

clannadman

#3 Post by clannadman »

I'm hoping to get it finished for an August release but I'll need proofreaders and stuff going over it in July, and depending on whether I can get some decent artists or not between now and then

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#4 Post by Machus »

Ah, I can't help much with the art, but I could proofread eventually if you want me too.
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

clannadman

#5 Post by clannadman »

I've been having some worries that the quality of my writing or the direction of story might upset Clannad fans. You get this with alot of fanfiction anyway but since this such an unexplored part of the Clannad universe I wonder if people won't mind too much? I've done alot of research and revision of the philosophy and supernatural elements of how Clannad works. There are so many symbols and themes used that it's difficult to try and write this story without getting dangerously close to imitating the original story. Alot of visual novels have attempted to imitate Clannad but since this is a Clannad prequel, I don't want to try and rip off the original as much as I can help it in any way. I may be looking for alot of feedback in the near future so anyone who's interested please post on here. Thank you :)

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 4th April)

#6 Post by pondrthis »

The big draw about the supernatural (although barring Fuuko, I'd call it more "surreal") elements of Clannad was how interpretable it all was. The game wasn't too clear about how things like Nagisa's/Ushio's sickness was connected to the Illusionary World or the happiness of the town, or if
the girl in the Illusionary World was truly Ushio or a different being who became one with Ushio after the fact because of Okazaki's/Junk Doll's actions in both worlds.

It's too late in your development process to enact this idea, but it might have been more interesting to do the OPPOSITE of Clannad's Illusionary World. Tomoya's life was relatively bright in Clannad but the world in his mind was dull. We know that his father was ambitious and rambunctious as a youth. I feel like the most canonical plot would have Naoyuki's Illusionary World be bright and cheery, despite there being nobody there, at least until his wife dies. It could end with him giving up the world in his mind (and the girl there, who is you-know-who from the original game) after hurting Tomoya's shoulder. That, of course, is when Tomoya's life became grim and he created (or, in this scenario, inherited) the lonely world with nothing in it but a lonely girl...
But that ignores the implication in Clannad that the Illusionary World was created by Akio when he begged for Nagisa's life. That's a toughy...

ETA: Also, who did that sprite art? It's hot-damn sweet.

clannadman

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 4th April)

#7 Post by clannadman »

I spent a while debating the idea of the Illusionary World and it's connection to the characters. I believe that theres a possibility that the world is connected solely to the town of Hikarizaka, since Tomoya spends a lot of time focusing on the town is the cause of his pain and with Nagisa's final words relating to how the town loves the people and they in return love it. Plus, Nagisa's and Ushio's illness is their connection to the town which grows sick with each new building project. The Illusionary World also feels like a world that only really belongs to Tomoya. However, on Yukine's route, she talks about the old legend in the town of the lights that watch over people. So it may be that the world exists for others but only within that town. Right now, I'm incorporating it into my story in Naoyuki's life but this may change over the writing process.

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 6th April)

#8 Post by pondrthis »

RESTATEMENT: Who did that sprite art? It's hot-damn sweet.

But to cut to the chase, I'm really asking if that is done by an automatic generator because the pose is identical and face is very similar in the girls. If so, link?

OdysseyStudio
Regular

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 17th May)

#9 Post by OdysseyStudio »

Wow, that some project you got there. Can't wait to see it when it done. If you need any help, I'll be willing to help. I've finished about 75% of the game (just two routes to go and the afterstory). I really liked the original Key created, almost to the point that I decided to rewrite the game in renpy just to get a feel on how it was put together. I gotten the first week done, but my computer crash so I'm back to square one. Well like I said if you need any help, I'll willing to help out in anyway, including artwork, and writting. Well good luck ^^
The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.
--Paul Strand

clannadman

#10 Post by clannadman »

OdysseyStudio wrote:Wow, that some project you got there. Can't wait to see it when it done.
Thankyou :) I hope I finish in time for release.
OdysseyStudio wrote: I've finished about 75% of the game (just two routes to go and the afterstory).
You say about 75% but I remember Afterstory taking just as long to complete as a couple of routes combined XD
OdysseyStudio wrote:I really liked the original Key created, almost to the point that I decided to rewrite the game in renpy just to get a feel on how it was put together. I gotten the first week done, but my computer crash so I'm back to square one.
That sounds like a real task. By rewrite, you mean simply remaking the game or adding your own twist to it?

OdysseyStudio
Regular

#11 Post by OdysseyStudio »

OdysseyStudio wrote:I really liked the original Key created, almost to the point that I decided to rewrite the game in renpy just to get a feel on how it was put together. I gotten the first week done, but my computer crash so I'm back to square one.
Clannadman wrote: That sounds like a real task. By rewrite, you mean simply remaking the game or adding your own twist to it?
All I did was broke my copy of the game down to its source code and then line by line rewrote the game in the renpy game engine(voice, music, animations, and all). So basically, I was cloning the game. But what was different with this one was that I was taking some scenes from the clannad anime series and movie and implementing them into the game script, wither it was still shots or small clips. Including changing some lines so it make sense with the clip without really changing the game's story flow. It was fun project, but like I said my computer crashed when I finished the first week and now I'm back to square one. ^_^'

Maybe I'll post a snipped of it someday, if I'll ever get around to it. Till then I gotta finish the game, and get a job.
The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.
--Paul Strand

clannadman

#12 Post by clannadman »

OdysseyStudio wrote:But what was different with this one was that I was taking some scenes from the clannad anime series and movie and implementing them into the game script, wither it was still shots or small clips. Including changing some lines so it make sense with the clip without really changing the game's story flow. It was fun project, but like I said my computer crashed when I finished the first week and now I'm back to square one. ^_^' Maybe I'll post a snipped of it someday, if I'll ever get around to it. Till then I gotta finish the game, and get a job.
Sounds quite interesting adding in the clips. Sucks that you lost it as well especially if you got as far as finishing the first week. That's alot of scenes as well as different choices and routes. I know what you mean about putting it off as well. Exams and work but I've got a lengthy summer ahead so will finish this then :)

clannadman

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 17th August)

#13 Post by clannadman »

Just an update. I'm looking to release a beta for testing and my script for proofreading in 2 weeks time.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 18th August)

#14 Post by ririruetoo »

I want to sign up for beta testing!
ImageImageImage

Ambrosia

Re: [WIP] Clannad - The Past Path (Updated 21st August)

#15 Post by Ambrosia »

O_O . O.MY.GOD.
how come I never saw this post ?!?
xD.

Clannad is my favorite VN. A prequel.. i think i'm about to cry..
Really, really , really, really kawaiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck on your release, I'd wish to help in any manner, but I can't right now :(.
we live on lies. and die on truth.