looking for Japanese games

For the rest of your otaku life.
LadyAvori
Regular

looking for Japanese games

#1 Post by LadyAvori »

So I'm taking Japanese and want to play games in Japanese to help with keeping the language. You know the whole "if you don't use it you lose it" thing.

I live in the Midwest, US so there's not a lot of people here who speak Japanese to keep it up the ole fashioned way (of actually talking to people). I'm going to use anime to keep it in my ear, and my friend is learning also, so we'll be able to talk to each other.

But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site where I can find rpgs and VN in Japanese? Paying for them is not an issue but if you know of free Japanese VNs and games that is good too. I figured if anyone could help with this it would be the Lemma Soft Community :) One particular game I am looking for is Final Fantasy VII for either playstation or computer. Only Advent Children is coming up in the Google search and it is starting to really irritate me. It doesn't matter if it's console or computer, either is good.

I really appreciate it! :)

Edit: ah I found one site that looks promising, well my friend did lol. So now I am also wondering (and this may sound completely stupid, but I'll never know if I don't ask) if anyone here knows if I can purchase a Japanese 360 and have it shipped to the US? I only wonder because I don't see why they would make two different game consoles if anyone could just have the Japanese console shipped to them. Some games are regioned locked and only plays on the Japanese console. It makes me want to cry :?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: looking for Japanese games

#2 Post by papillon »

if anyone here knows if I can purchase a Japanese 360 and have it shipped to the US? I only wonder because I don't see why they would make two different game consoles if anyone could just have the Japanese console shipped to them.
You can, it's just a big pain, so most people don't bother doing it. (And most people are put off by the idea of having to pay for the console twice.)

With some consoles and some countries you have to buy extra equipment to deal with differences in electricity supply as well, so it's worth reading up on the particulars.

A quick websearch shows that play-asia.com has japanese 360s that they'll ship to the US, should have plenty of games too. That's not the only such site, just the first one I saw.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

LadyAvori, are you looking for Japanese media with realistic or simple dialogue? If so, then you might benefit more by watching live action TV dramas. And if you want a game which will help you with spoken or written Japanese, then you might want to track down an edutainment program or two. ...But if you want to find an import video game, and practice the language, read on.
LadyAvori wrote:But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site where I can find rpgs and VN in Japanese? ...One particular game I am looking for is Final Fantasy VII for either playstation or computer...
There are quite a few retailers which will help you import console games. Play Asia is one reliable site. I checked it a moment ago, and saw that it's selling FF7 for a Japanese Playstation for $35 or $42, depending which version you want. The site also sells Japan region Xbox 360 consoles for $280 and up. Always make sure to check the features before you spend that much... See http://www.play-asia.com/Xbox_360_Arcad ... -3yhx.html

Importing Windows games is surprisingly tough. J-List and Palet Web (beware, both have some NSFW content!) carry a few. If you're dedicated enough to search for a specific import PC game, then be sure to read this guide: http://www.relentlessness.com/blog/2010 ... ne-stores/

As you said, it's wise to make sure any game you purchase will work with your television and system. Among recent consoles, only a few are region free. Original DS games work on any DS system. All but one UMD game will work on any of the first three models of the PSP. And I believe all PS3 games on discs are region free.

LadyAvori
Regular

#4 Post by LadyAvori »

@gekiganwing: I did find Play Asia and I'm happy to hear its a reliable site. I'm open to any kind of media that will help me maintain Japanese as a working language for me. Like I said I'm in the US Midwest so there isn't a lot of Japanese speaking people in my area to keep it up through speaking. Of course I will speak it, my 4 year old is starting the pick up the words as mommy repeats them around the house, but I really have no one to speak to. I think reading games, manga, and magazines or even online newspapers (any written hirigana/katakana/kanji) will be great with keeping it with me, as well as any anime, live action shows/movies so I can hear it. Of course, I know its not nearly as good as hearing real conversation but at least I will have something to listen to. I guess I need some good suggestions on what to look at in regards to live action. I have only seen anime from japan, not any live action, so I don't know what would be good to see. I would hate to see a few bad movies that ruins them for me. So if you have any suggestions I would happily take them! :)

And I did finally find Final Fantasy 7 import. Then I found out that Final Fantasy International is the Japanese version I really want, so my Birthday is coming soon and I get to get it.

@papillon: Yea buying another XBox 360 is more like wishful thinking then anything else. At least a Japanese version anyway. Maybe it's something I will save for if I REALLY want those games. But I will settle for Region Free games. I just couldn't believe there would be two types of 360s if some of the Japanese games can be played on a US system anyway. It was just weird to find out.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

It was a while ago when I first heard that in order to understand real life Japanese conversation, a person should watch dramas. I think it was the short-lived Anime Nano podcast which said it...
LadyAvori wrote:...I have only seen anime from japan, not any live action, so I don't know what would be good to see. I would hate to see a few bad movies that ruins them for me...
Jdorama.com seems to be a good resource for learning about this category of entertainment. And if you want to watch legit streaming dramas, be sure to give Crunchyroll a try. Here are their forums -- hopefully they can help you find a good show to get started: http://www.jdorama.com/viewforum.2.htm& ... ba18ab14fd and http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumcategory-4/drama

CKSqua

#6 Post by CKSqua »

The Criterion Collection publishes some classic movies. My exposure to them is pretty limited, but the Kurosawa and Ozu titles are particularly popular. Personally, I can't recommend Floating Weeds and Ikiru enough.

For something more modern, you could look into The Makioka Sisters or some of Shunji Iwai's films (which are gorgeously shot but tend to be aimed at younger audiences).
But I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site where I can find rpgs and VN in Japanese?
If you don't mind buying used games, you'll save a bundle of money by scouring eBay (but be mindful of shipping costs). I've had good experiences with Hit-Japan, although their Final Fantasy prices are a bit higher than what you might find elsewhere.