What women want from female characters

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

Re: What women want from female characters

#16 Post by yummy »

GJsoft wrote:Reminds me of those indecisive and plain harem protagonists that every reader hates but for some reason are still widely used in manga/games. I wonder why? : /
That's because the indecisiveness is part of the narration process: it's a mean to reset all relationship to a previously step/neutral zone. And you have lots of ways to do it.
And not every reader hates this scheme, it only became a cliche because lots of authors began to use it. And at the end people get tired of clichés.

The point with armors that look like they have been molded out of the bodies is mainly to attract a male audience, that quickly identifies any sexuality signal. There are even websites specialized in telling which anime gets saucy scene...
It's not called fanservice for nothing.
broken_angel wrote:One of the tropes that really bothers me, though, is the girl who does everything for the male protagonist and is basically like his mother. Example would be Kaede from Shuffle! I absolutely hated her...until she went crazy. Then she finally had some personality. xD But the girls who just take care of the male character, feeding them, clothing them, doing everything for them, not getting upset when he goes after other girls (or does, but never acts on that jealousy), and of course - the staple of any wife-material love interest - nags him all the time about stupid stuff. That's when it gets really irritating for me, and why I don't play most BxG dating sim type games.
That's pretty much how the young japanese adult audience feel about an ideal wife/sex partner (or how the selling department views it).
Fortunately, that's not how every male in the world want every woman to be. (And Kaede had her reasons as to why she had this kinda over-submissive attitude)

Anyways, I've always found feminine characters quite sketchy. And the least sketchy ones were only in "boring" anime that youngstun' don't wann' care to watch anyway! (Ghost in the shell, Cowboy Bebop, Taisho Yakkyuu musume, Seikai no Danshou...)

I think that women and men are not that different when it comes to how to handle a situation. But when you add the different layers of one's personnality, aesthetics, preferences, past history, social networks, goals, you get very different creatures.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#17 Post by Funnyguts »

What I want from female characters? Actions and personalities that make sense in the context of the story. This is the same thing I want from every other character, even if they only get one line in the entire story.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#18 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Everything that I wanted to say has already been said one way or another, but I feel the need to share this animated gif with everyone just for the sake of the conversation.
THAT'S NOT HOW BOOBS WORK!
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#19 Post by Counter Arts »

I kinda think there may be the issue of what the "marketing department" wants that interferes with a lot of things involving from what the game designers/developers want. This may also include any sort of investors and what they think will sell.

Edit: Also I've been trying to look into why I can sell Fading Hearts to girls.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by DaFool »

The problem with Transformers is because you only have one main female character so she's got to be the hottie. Basically any action/adventure story rpg/movie/whatever is going to have

1. protagonist / alpha male
2. best friend / rival / beta male
3. hot girlfriend / wife material
4. kid / animal / alien
5. large dude / animal / token black guy

The problem is easily remedied by just having lots of female main characters. None of them becomes the 'token' childhood friend or whatever. Even with my GxB/GxG game the diversity of the female characters is apparent.

Maybe that's why girls can be less harsh towards BxG than GxB because in GxB there's only one or two women who will most likely fall into stereotypes as opposed to BxG where there's girls of every flavor, some of them are actually not annoying.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#21 Post by Desu_Cake »

Personally, I find that, especially in Dating sims, the obtainable characters (Whether they're female or male) don't feel like real people. They often seem more like items, and wooing them feels like collecting coins. Most especially when their personality (such as it is) seems to depend completely on the players choices.
Eg. A character that suddenly goes into yandere mode if you say you don't like her is fine if, and only if, she is actually a yandere somewhere else in the story. If you say you like her and everything works out hunky dory then it juast seems stupid.

I also hate when the extent of a characters personality can be summed up in one word. Especially Tsundere. The general response to the question "Why is this character tsundere?" is "What do you mean why?"

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#22 Post by papillon »

Eg. A character that suddenly goes into yandere mode if you say you don't like her is fine if, and only if, she is actually a yandere somewhere else in the story. If you say you like her and everything works out hunky dory then it juast seems stupid.
Isn't that the original description of yandere, though? That they seem completely sweet and loving until you disappoint them and then they go ax crazy? In which case, if you never upset them, they'd never snap...

Of course, if you're writing for the yandere fetish rather than trying to shock the player with the horrific consequences of pushing the nice ones just a little too far, you probably want to clearly telegraph that the character is unstable or it won't be "cute". (That has creepy implications, doesn't it?)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#23 Post by Taleweaver »

Rewritten Ennui wrote:THAT'S NOT HOW BOOBS WORK!
Male chauvinist interjection:

That's how boobs SHOULD work!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#24 Post by Desu_Cake »

papillon wrote: Isn't that the original description of yandere, though? That they seem completely sweet and loving until you disappoint them and then they go ax crazy? In which case, if you never upset them, they'd never snap...
Probably not the best example...I just woke up when I was writing that. Anyway, what I meant was a character suddenly developing a certain trait (Such as yandere...ness) without any prior or later development to explain why.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#25 Post by papillon »

Taleweaver wrote:
Rewritten Ennui wrote:THAT'S NOT HOW BOOBS WORK!
Male chauvinist interjection:

That's how boobs SHOULD work!
You want boobs that squirm and wiggle in different directions as if they were guinea pigs in bags?

Can't you just stick with magic floating antigravity boobs? At least that way they're lighter to carry! :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#26 Post by Taleweaver »

papillon wrote:Can't you just stick with magic floating antigravity boobs? At least that way they're lighter to carry! :)
The ones pictured above obviously ARE magic floating antigravity boobs. They just also happen to be, uhm, self-propelled.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#27 Post by Glasskitten »

Oh my gosh, it would be TERRIFYING to have appendages like that growing out of my chest! *nightmares for life*
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#28 Post by Sapphi »

Glasskitten wrote:Oh my gosh, it would be TERRIFYING to have appendages like that growing out of my chest! *nightmares for life*
Agreed! :shock:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#29 Post by Dollywitch »

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#30 Post by Aleema »

Never saw MovieBob's one or all of the Extra Credits ones, so thanks for sharing. :D