Do you prefer MC to have an apperance or to be faceless?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

Do you prefer MC to have an apperance or to be faceless?

#1 Post by Cidz »

So, I was talking to one of the writers our game we're working on and he suggested that our MC (main character, player of the game) have a spirte on the left corner near the text, but i said maybe she should be faceless instead (except during CGs she would have an appearance) so i was wondering in VNs particularly otome games do you think its best for the player/MC to remain faceless or should she have an appearance like a sprite at the corner of the game (like yo-jin-bo)?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Do you prefer MC to have an apperance or to be faceless?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

We did have a topic about this not too long ago which may be helpful to you http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=11225

Personally I like to see the main character, though I'm not too bothered if there is no side image. I would expect a side image to reflect the emotion of the main character though and not be the same all the time.

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#3 Post by Niki »

Depends, if I'm putting myself in the MC's shoes and playing through his perspective (especially in dating sims), I'd rather his face be unseen. Additionally, I would prefer this to apply for CGs too, because if he suddenly grew a face and it turned out to be not the face you pictured, it would kind of spoil everything... ? (Sorry if it's confusing, I'm a bit poor with words.) For example, the Tokimeki Memorial series where the MC during gameplay is seen in Super Deformed/chibi style and in CGs the face is blocked out/blurred/only the back of the head is shown. I guess it's so you can better imagine yourself in the protagonist's shoes. Of course, there are exceptions (HaruToki), but I prefer the MC's face not being shown if it's a dating sim...

TL;DR, if you're playing as "yourself" and not "a character", I like a faceless protagonist better.

It's not that major a gripe for me though. The story is the most important bit :)
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Adding on to what Niki said: I suppose it is the difference between role playing as yourself or role playing as a character. If your character is customisable in some way, eg skills, name, personality, etc, it would make sense for the character to be faceless and for you to instead use your imagination. However, if you are playing as a specific character (which is my preference) then it is nice to see who you are meant to be.

Cidz
Veteran

#5 Post by Cidz »

ah, thanks for the link Auro-Cyanide. I'll be sure and check it out.

@ Niki - ah its ok i understand what you are saying. Hmmm CGs too huh? ah well that makes sense lol. I at first thought we should make it so that people can place themselves into the character. but now im not so sure lol.

Also, you can name the MC but thats about it really as far as customization goes. But if more people prefer a face then i can do that it could probably work out lol.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#6 Post by Hayzel »

I need to see the character. Usually the best outfits are on the MC. It killed me I never got to see Keiichi after Punishment games.

Celianna
Veteran

#7 Post by Celianna »

Preferably I'd like to see the main character at least once, so that I know what they look like. But for me, it goes like this:

Silent protagonist: I'm absolutely okay with no graphic for the main character, since you're supposed to imagine yourself in their shoes anyway
A protagonist with scripted lines: yes, I'd very much prefer to see the main character's expressions.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Cidz
Veteran

#8 Post by Cidz »

ah, well after talking it over with the other two writers and reading everyone's opinions we thought our MC would do best visible she has a personality (not one of those blank Mary-sue characters) and has scripted lines as well (even though its in 1st person POV)

figured a sprite on the corner (shoulders and up) and then in CGs should do. i think that even if she has a face if a player wants could still probably place themselves into the game (pretend they look like her, maybe? >_> )

Aquane
Veteran

#9 Post by Aquane »

This is just my opinion, but I like seeing their face either way. It doesn't matter if I'm supposed to put myself in their shoes, or just seeing the story from their point of view~ Idk, I just feel like it always benefits. If I see their face, I can relate to them a bit more I guess? Even if I'm supposed to be this character, I think its pretty cool to see them still because it makes me feel more like I belong in the story. If not, I somewhat feel like a faceless outsider~ Haha xD I'm a bit weird, but yeah.. thats my opinion for ya.

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#10 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Hmm... It depends.

I'm usually one of those who prefer not to see the protagonist, but that's because I'm used to regular (non-visual) novels
and some First-person shooter games, so yeah, lol.

However, when it comes to visual novels, I actually don't mind either way. After playing/watching several English
visual novels, I am finding that I am fine with seeing the protagonist and even prefer to see the protagonist, since the protagonist has his/her own personality and is talking for me anyway. :)

Just choose what is best for the project and stick with it. 8)
Good luck on your project! :D
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

HAL9000

#11 Post by HAL9000 »

I like to see them, though that might be because I prefer them to be their own characters rather than me in a game. Plus they sometimes have good designs. It doesn't matter THAT much, though.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#12 Post by Crocosquirrel »

I generally prefer an MC with a sprite. Mostly what I've noticed is that creators seen to prefer not to make sprites if only to save time/money/effort.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

jory014
Regular
Projects: Confidant From Darkness (VN), Stand By Me (NaNoRenO 2013)
Organization: CHILL Brigade

#13 Post by jory014 »

I'd say to make an appearance like what Hayzel said, when I was playing Higurashi I would have want to see Keiichi's face for at least once or better whenever necessary, because when I played it I've never seen him really because I discovered it as a VN not as an anime. So it made me refer to the wiki just to see his face.

That's why in Kira Kira I was kind of happy that they at least showed the MC a few times whether in drag or not. but could have preferred more appearances though :p

I've played a lot of games, and I hate it when they're faceless... I mean, I would want to see how "I'll look like" in the eyes of the people around me in the game. but yeah that's just me XD but like what the rest said, sometimes its the MC who has the coolest looks/clothes... XD after all the MC is a special character XD

to add, it also depends on what type of game... if its just dating sim then the face doesn't matter... maybe a few appearances would be suffice but not necessary... VN/KN's definitely yes
Last edited by jory014 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're Cute and Cool, while Chilling- CHILL Brigade-"

W.I.P:
-A Confidant From Darkness
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... t=11427url
-~Stand By Me~
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19784

Team Site:
-CHILL Brigade]
http://chillbrigade14.wix.com/chill-brigade

Arivien
Regular

#14 Post by Arivien »

A faceless MC is always nice in something like a stat-raising VN where you can mold your own character.

However, for KNs and VNs where there's only story, a good/bad ending, and the character already has a "presence" in his world, I like having a face to imagine.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#15 Post by Funnyguts »

Hmm... has anyone made a VN where you can mess with your PC's appearance Elder Scrolls style?