F**k this, what's the point?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: F**k this, what's the point?

#16 Post by Adorya »

Lumen_Astrum wrote: But if the character's shy, cussing is... something of a surprise. :|
Otonashi Meru would like a word with you...or any yandere in disguise :mrgreen:

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#17 Post by Gear »

Desu_Cake wrote:I'm half-tempted now to write a character who yells BEEP! instead of swearing.
THIS.

My characters will swear, but only in moderation. They're in high school, so they don't swear for no reason like some adults do, but it might come out when the stub their toe, or get chased by a 40 foot scorpion.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#18 Post by LVUER »

Wrong. It's (most of the) teenagers that like to swear WITHOUT any reason. Some adults still do but some of them stopped doing so... unless this is exclusive to people in my country/city (but I believe it's more or less the same all around the world).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#19 Post by Aleema »

Nope, swearing is generally considered childish and immature, so yeah, children/teens will do it more often and for less reason. Adults certainly have more liberty to do so, but I also think that adults have more reasons to swear. :P

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#20 Post by Blue Lemma »

It's sort of a curve. Small kids don't swear, and then when they get into their teens, it's the cool/grown-up thing to do. Then it starts to become old, and in some opinions immature again when they're adults and it declines :lol: I think a lot of teens think swear words are mandated at at least one per sentence.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#21 Post by papillon »

Alternately, small kids swear but usually in the wrong contexts because they don't quite understand how swearing works!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#22 Post by LVUER »

I see that lots of teenager simply doesn't understand how rude their swearing is... or simply swearing because of a reflex instead of swearing with a purpose.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Funnyguts
Veteran

#23 Post by Funnyguts »

And some of them are just being silly.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Apparently, i usually swear a lot in my blog or devart journal xD But i avoid swearing in lsf...just in case i might get banned for abusing swearing and cursing words Dx

...(Also the reason why i plan my VN to be a a rated T because of strong language and with my tsun tsun heroine always f*cking swear---and as the previous posters have said.... cause its a childish and tsundere way to express oneself. :lol: ).
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#25 Post by Meatpie »

OtomeWeekend wrote:Apparently, i usually swear a lot in my blog or devart journal xD But i avoid swearing in lsf...just in case i might get banned for abusing swearing and cursing words Dx

...(Also the reason why i plan my VN to be a a rated T because of strong language and with my tsun tsun heroine always f*cking swear---and as the previous posters have said.... cause its a childish and tsundere way to express oneself. :lol: ).
"It's not like I F8@king like you or anything, you snotty nosed sh!t drivelling arse-muncher!"

Kyminara
Regular

#26 Post by Kyminara »

If I had a 12 yr old son or daughter, I would rather have them playing a game with swear words censored than a game without the censor. It'd be best if there's no swear words at all, but the filter makes some difference. (And not all kids already know what's behind the ***.)
"It's not like I F8@king like you or anything, you snotty nosed sh!t drivelling arse-muncher!"
^ This is still over the top anyway. It's like throwing a paper towel over a pool of blood to make it look less violent. If you're already swearing that much, just slap a 17+ label on it and be done with it.

LadyAvori
Regular

#27 Post by LadyAvori »

I almost feel like its a game when you are given a *** or a "beep" in stead of a word. It's like "oooo which one is being used?"

Anyway, as for myself I don't mind profanity so long as it's not way over the top. And by "way over the top" I mean every character is cursing like a sailor (no offense to sailors). People curse so there are going to be characters who curse.

As for my son, I would rather his games not have profanity. Of course, my son is only 4. But as he gets older I don't want him watching South Park for example.

I have some characters who use some light cursing. (damn for example. it's like the wimp of the curse words) But the big guns may come out if the scene and emotions call for it.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by OtomeWeekend »

well, i wouldn't say twelve is on the Teen cruise yet right? Besides, if its a boy, I don't think he iwll play an otome game. Apparently, @meatpie: I plan on using a more mild-used words in my sentences cause even i feel uncomfortable if I'd let players read those kinds of words everytime my heroine speaks... O.O

The only thing I can say is I've rated the game rated T for strong language and stuff, "You've been warned". But I don't really plan on spamming swears cause it might actually put off the game and I'd really only use it if it was actually needed or befitted.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LSDY

#29 Post by LSDY »

For some youngsters, swearing is a way to get the point across. Also don't underestimate the brain of a teenager. 12-15 years old know very well the meaning of those words and they know how to put them in right use too. And there is also that cliche "this is another age" argument. It's true. Somehow it feels, like every year the invisible line where kids start to play adults goes down. I wasn't surprised when I heard my 9 years younger (I'm 22) cousin (girl) saying stuff I started using when I was taking high school entrance exams. Also I wasn't mad or anything. The cleaner you keep it, the dirtier it gets when you finally take it outside. Fits perfectly for both, dirt bikes and kids. The difference is, that when your bike breaks, you can repair it or-in the worst case, buy another. Can't do that with a teenager, sadly. OK, now I got carried away... Sorry about that.
The point is, you can show them the difference between f*ck and fu*k. The difference you catch when you see two friends calling each other b@stard while happily playing some racing video game or the same duo arguing about one of them recently getting a girlfriend. And the other side of a coin is a genuinely rude @sshole who thinks calling all girls B****es will make him look cool. And then somehow point a it and say: This one is alright, but this one is totally wrong.

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#30 Post by Dollywitch »

Thinking of making a VN called "The wonderful adventures of Kainé the Hermaphrodite".

It will be beautiful. Anyone who's played or heard of Nier knows what I'm talkin' bout.