What Do You Think About Gay Characters in a GxB?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

What Do You Think About Gay Characters in a GxB?

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

I'm just wondering what the current forum-goers here think of the inclusion of gay or otherwise sexually-ambiguous male characters in a GxB game. It just comes to mind that in a girly clique, there's usually always at least one "best gay friend" in the group, although it may vary quite drastically depending on your area. In any case, I think that the inclusion of such characters would add some new dimensions to GxB. Some anime such as Fushigi Yugi and even Fruits Basket do include such characters although they still end up falling for the female protagonist anyway. Anyway, I'm not asking for specific examples in current GxB titles whether Japanese or originally in English, what I do want to know, and I'll repeat it again for emphasis, is what you guys think about the inclusion of such characters in a game?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: What Do You Think About Gay Characters in a GxB?

#2 Post by papillon »

The same I'd think about any character really - if it's a well-developed character, why not? :)

Some otome fans are yaoi fangirls and would probably love it if their protagonist had not just a gay best friend, but a gay-best-friend couple. Who could snog occasionally as well as providing helpful advice on romance and relationships! Alternately, a highly-contrasting GBF can be a fun dynamic to work with the main character (like, the main character has never had a boyfriend and her GBF goes through them like tissues, or alternately the MC flirts with everything that moves and her GBF fantasizes about the perfect man - either way they can talk about their different approaches to men)

I'm also, unsurprisingly, fine with bi-guys, although it's probably best to work in some references to them being *bi* rather than accidentally giving the impression that they've been "cured of gay" by their love for the heroine, or that dating one girl means they're now straight forever.
Last edited by papillon on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have no problem with any type of character as long as they are not token (unless it's meant as social commentary of course, like South Park)

I also second what papillon said.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Hmm...I guess I don't really mind, really.
Although it'd be cool if he had some kind of friendship route exploring his problems. It might make for an interesting story.
deviantART
---------------------

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

I personally do know of the "gay friend" in circles of girls, but it's usually just a circle of friends with one of them being male. Not really ... "he's our sassy gay friend who gives potent fashion tips while snapping!" He's a friend. A person; a character! Just write someone awesome.

The bigger problem here is whether or not to make him romancable. Girls want to date every cute guy they see. Don't think you can introduce a (decent-looking) male sprite that's not romancable without breaking hearts. Not even the brother is safe. Just ... keep the character's integrity. If he's gay (not bi), please refer to papillon's post for the do's and don'ts.

gundestiny
Regular

#6 Post by gundestiny »

In regards to real life, we have that 'gay friend' in our circle. He's just a darl <3 So I don't have a problem with the concept at all.

Buuut, as previously mentioned, his role and development execution are important. :3
Papillon's post = agreed
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#7 Post by sake-bento »

Treat him like any other character. I really dislike it when a character's one defining trait is "oh hey, they're gay!" (I am SO looking at you, Sunrise.)

LadyAvori
Regular

#8 Post by LadyAvori »

Aleema wrote:I personally do know of the "gay friend" in circles of girls, but it's usually just a circle of friends with one of them being male. Not really ... "he's our sassy gay friend who gives potent fashion tips while snapping!" He's a friend. A person; a character! Just write someone awesome.
LOL Aleema you are just so funny! But you're right. It depends on how well a character is written, but that stands for any character.

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#9 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Well, just because their gay doesn't mean they have to be "fabulous!" And it would be interesting to see the protagonist competing with a gay guy for the same person. I don't see a problem with it and it could really work well given the story is done right.

Veniae
Veteran

#10 Post by Veniae »

@Marcelo_Orlando: That's an interesting option: Making a boy your rival on someone's route in a GxB. It sounds fun and uncommon! (At least to me)

And I agree that as long as a character has a cool personality, it doesn't matter if they're straight or not. Even though I would be disappointed if there was a really awesome gay character and I couldn't pursue him. Maybe at least a friendship route?

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#11 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Marcelo_Orlando wrote:Well, just because their gay doesn't mean they have to be "fabulous!" And it would be interesting to see the protagonist competing with a gay guy for the same person. I don't see a problem with it and it could really work well given the story is done right.
That would be hilarious/awesome if done right :lol: I wouldn't have any problems with gay characters, as long as they weren't straight-up fabulous or stereotypical. Eh, everyone's parroting each other and saying "flat characters=fail," so they just have to be interesting.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#12 Post by pinkmouse »

How about:

For some people, being gay or straight isn't about who you want to shag, it's about who you want to marry.

Now doesn't that suggest some really gripping plotlines? *VBEG*

"But I thought you lu-uh-loved me!"

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#13 Post by Snow Blossom »

I really like them. For me, a gay/bi character makes the story more realistic and interesting while adding more variation to the cast. :3

Skyrius

#14 Post by Skyrius »

It's funny cause, in some lines of east Asian philosophy, the concept of yin and yang also has a portion dedicated to the genders. Specifically, women are yin and men are yang. But by the same coin, one of the rules is that everything needs balance and all humans have both yin and yang in them. Quite literally, there's a, I think like 15 page long explanation of how all men have some sort of womanly side and all women have a manly side or something. I stopped reading after the 2nd page when I realized that trying to decipher archaic Chinese was giving me a headache XDD

That being said, I almost want to argue that gay guys are more common as friends/potential love interest (I have so many problems with the whole the "main character will cure your gayness!" but I'll leave that for now)/etc than lesbian girls. And in the case of girls who show romantic interests in other girls in eroges it'll almost always be a case that she discovers the magic healing power of p3n0s half way through and whatever. And then I throw the game in a corner to go replay Aiyoku no Eustia.

Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I'm actually more curious in who it would work with lesbians. I mean, you hear girls say they have gay guy friends not all that unusually, but I don't think I've ever heard about a guy brag about his lesbian friend. I can't even begin to imagine how that conversation would go. Ok granted, I have a pretty good idea where it would end up, but that's cause most guys are....well, XD

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#15 Post by papillon »

Standard method of guys being proud of Their Lesbian Friend:

1. Said lesbian friend has some stereotypically 'male' hobby. Like repairing cars. Or FPSes. They bond.
2. Said lesbian friend is also a total hound, racking up a huge number of girlfriends-of-the-week. They go to strip clubs together and it's usually the lesbian who goes home with the stripper.
or
2a. Said lesbian friend completely cannot get laid, and they commisserate together about women.

Obviously there are tons of other ways for people to be friends, this is still all stereotyping.