New Rurouni Kenshin anime

For the rest of your otaku life.
Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

New Rurouni Kenshin anime

#1 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Rurouni Kenshin was the second anime I watched back when I was younger (I was an elementary-age child watching a violent shows with lots of blood and gore. Fun times indeed.). It was a good show with a good plot, varied cast of characters, and decent animation style. The Kyoto Arc was excellent, and perhaps the high point of the show. It was well executed.

And after the Kyoto Arc was over, the anime went downhill.

Pretty much every episode after Shishio's defeat was filler, and the third season sucked. I know that Watsuki was still writing the manga at the time, but come on! A Christian swordsman who mastered the Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū that wanted to get revenge for his fellow Christians?! Knights and ninjas trying to get a medicinal flower!?! What does this anime have anything to do with fung shui?!?! The people in charge of the anime could have written something better than all that convoluted stuff, but no. The anime ended on an anti-climatic note, with the last episode being KenshinxKaoru fluff.

Despite that, Rurouni Kenshin remained one of my favorite series. I even bought all the manga volumes and an artbook years later for my personal collection. The story after the Kyoto arc wasn't animated, and that disappointed me because it was made of sheer epic-ness. For years I've wanted a studio to re-animate Rurouni Kenshin in a similar style to Full Metal Alchemist, another anime that diverged from the original story because the author wasn't done yet (and guess what? FMA got Brotherhood in 2009, which was awesome for all fans of the series). You know how cool that would be? Really cool.
Rumors of a new Rurouni Kenshin thing have been flying around for a while now, but 6 days ago the rumors were confirmed.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/20/ne ... rc-remake/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ideo-anime
Yes! An anime remake of the series, amirite? NO! D:< They're reanimating the Kyoto Arc! WTF!?! As you can imagine, many fans were outraged. The first series did the Arc justice, man. It was good. It's still good. So why are they remaking it? It's from Misao's POV. She's an okay character and all, but seriously? Why can't we have a remake that includes Enishi's Arc?

I can rant on and on about how pointless reanimating the Kyoto Arc is. Fellow fans of Rurouni Kenshin, what do you make of this new remake?
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

GLACIER
Regular

Re: New Rurouni Kenshin anime

#2 Post by GLACIER »

They're testing the waters for commercial viability. Both the manga and anime ended over a decade ago, so there's little way of knowing how popular a new series might be.

If the OVA can reignite the passion of old fans and prove that there are enough paying customers, more anime may be possible.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

This is news indeed! :O

I'll keep an eye out for this, I'd be interested in a remake to see how they handle this. I loved Rurouni Kenshin since the days of Toonami hehe.

But the direction they're taking for this is rather odd...
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

I wish they make the sequel (but from manga ending, not anime/OAV one) instead of a remake. The protagonist will be Yahiko and Kenshin's own son (with Kenshin and rest of the crew as supporting characters)... and perhaps some day fighting over the inheritance of Kenshin's sakabato. And so it will also be a grand battle between a master of Kamiyakashin-style and Hitenmitsurugi-style.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OtomeWeekend »

if that was the new art in the remake, then I’m already saying that i love the original’s art better. <:’D 
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran

#6 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

GLACIER wrote:They're testing the waters for commercial viability. Both the manga and anime ended over a decade ago, so there's little way of knowing how popular a new series might be.

If the OVA can reignite the passion of old fans and prove that there are enough paying customers, more anime may be possible.
Some fanbases are really dedicated, and I get the feeling that RK's fans have been waiting that entire decade for this new announcement. When Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen for the PSP was announced, ANN's forums were abuzz with activity. Many of the posts wanted a reboot anime too if you scroll down a bit.
OtomeWeekend wrote:if that was the new art in the remake, then I’m already saying that i love the original’s art better. <:’D 
Agreed. Most of the newer animes nowadays have that generic slick and shiny look to them. That's not bad, but that all practically look the same now D:
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#7 Post by sake-bento »

I don't mind an OVA, but I am disappointed that they're already going through charted waters. Then again, like pretty much every other RuroKen fan ever, I really just wish they'd bite the bullet and animate Jinchuu.

I'm also surprised that they chose to use Misao. I guess her "type" is the kind that sells these days. I found her a little annoying the first time around, but compared to a lot of anime girls these days, I think I won't be as annoyed anymore.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Rewritten Ennui wrote:
OtomeWeekend wrote:if that was the new art in the remake, then I’m already saying that i love the original’s art better. <:’D 
Agreed. Most of the newer animes nowadays have that generic slick and shiny look to them. That's not bad, but that all practically look the same now D:
And probably the reason why I’m not a closet otaku anymore. New animes let alone remakes just keep and keep on disappointing me.it doesn’t help that I have a girl harem phobia and that’s all the current animes are... perverted japanese animators  :evil:

But for the sake of my love for Rurouni Kenshin, I’d still bother to watch this... The original art was better though it wasn’t really that better compared to the OVA and manga, but something much better than this new art, I mean it. :(

(sorry for my font, my keyboard became like this when i try to change from japanese to english keyboard... :cry:
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I say bring it on.

Even though I wasn't a big Ruroken fan, it'll be a nice departure from I've been watching.
deviantART
---------------------

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

Awww, I was hoping for the Jinchuu arc too. In any case, if it's something I've never seen before, I'm willing to watch it, even if it does turn out to be some kind of filler or fanservice series.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Aquane
Veteran

#11 Post by Aquane »

To be fair, the original FMA anime was COMPLETELY different than the manga xD characters were in it that were never even supposed to exist, and somehow were made a main character *rolls eyes* I love Rurouni kenshin, but the anime did do the series justice imo :) not the greatest anime, but still... don't get me wrong xD if there was a remake of the whole thing, I'd flip!

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#12 Post by Blue Lemma »

FIFY:
lordcloudx wrote:I'm willing to watch it, even especially if it does turn out to be some kind of filler or fanservice series.
I know this BBcode can be tricky :wink:

*runs away and hides*
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#13 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Curious to ask this question. Did you watch the two movies? Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, and Samurai X: Reflection. They're actually very interesting to watch. The first one is of the story Kenshin tells Kaoru of when he was still an assassin, and of Tomoe. I'm not gonna go into detail since there are those who no likey spoilers.

As for Reflection, it takes an interesting and depressing view of Kenshin's and Kaoru's lives in the future. It is different from the manga, non-canon. However I still suggest watching it...and have tissues ready if you're the type who cries easily.

Anyway, as for my reaction....I want them to only remake the parts AFTER the Kyoto arc. Nothing more!

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran

#14 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Curious to ask this question. Did you watch the two movies? Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, and Samurai X: Reflection. They're actually very interesting to watch. The first one is of the story Kenshin tells Kaoru of when he was still an assassin, and of Tomoe. I'm not gonna go into detail since there are those who no likey spoilers.

As for Reflection, it takes an interesting and depressing view of Kenshin's and Kaoru's lives in the future. It is different from the manga, non-canon. However I still suggest watching it...and have tissues ready if you're the type who cries easily.

Anyway, as for my reaction....I want them to only remake the parts AFTER the Kyoto arc. Nothing more!
I watched them (literally) years ago, so I might have forgotten some details. All I remember is
Kenshin getting some weird anime STDs thing and going to the mainland or something.
I dunno, I forgetz D: It was just, well, meh. I'll probably go watch them again some other time.

Anyways, updates on the new anime have been scarce :( They're probably keeping the thing under wraps...

Twinturtle Games Website

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

Believe it or not, lots of people here (including my friend) who thinks that Kenshin movie's ending (the depressing one) is actually the canon ending. I could only laughed and cried at the same time... and then told them the REAL ending ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW