Madaline's Misplaced Miscellany 2.0! ~ A Hidden Object Game

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: Madaline's Misplaced Miscellany ~ A Hidden Object Game

#16 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Arcanum wrote:This was glorious! Seriously, you have incredible photoshop skills. The rooms were beautiful and your edit of the photos too. Loved playing it =D!
I'm so glad you enjoyed my little game!
-- Photoshop is one of the few things I'm halfway decent at. ;)
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#17 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

Just played through it. That was a somewhat enjoyable 10 min.

Some tips in case you decide to ever make another one:
- put the list of items on the bottom of the screen so that it's in the same place as the dialogue box

-don't use quite so many objects at a time, it makes it too easy to randomly click on things and get stuff that's on the list

-avoid objects that have obscure or overly technical names, such as "boxing", "monarch butterfly", or "Art Deco flower"

my fastest time in any of the rooms was the bedroom (I don't remember which) where I decided not to bother reading the list and just clicked on anything that looked like it had been photoshopped. I only clicked needlessly thrice so my time was 49 sec.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by OokamiKasumi »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:Just played through it. That was a somewhat enjoyable 10 min.
So sorry it didn't last long enough for you.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:Some tips in case you decide to ever make another one:
- put the list of items on the bottom of the screen so that it's in the same place as the dialogue box
I didn't know how to. I didn't come up with the code.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:-don't use quite so many objects at a time, it makes it too easy to randomly click on things and get stuff that's on the list
But wouldn't the game play go quicker if you had fewer things to click on?
KimiYoriBaka wrote:-avoid objects that have obscure or overly technical names, such as "boxing", "monarch butterfly", or "Art Deco flower"
I refuse. Part of the game play was figuring out what I meant.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:my fastest time in any of the rooms was the bedroom (I don't remember which) where I decided not to bother reading the list and just clicked on anything that looked like it had been photoshopped.
Err... But ALL of it was Photoshopped. Seriously, I did the whole thing in Photoshop; floors, walls, furnishings, objects -- all of it.

My apologies for making such a disappointment of a game.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#19 Post by azureXtwilight »

I wasn't a fan of hidden object game, but the art... CAN'T RESIST!

Overall, that was fun! It took longer because I stared :P Thank you for making another beautiful game for the community!

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by SusanTheCat »

@KimiYoriBaka Thanks for the great feedback! It is nice getting specific things to work on.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:Some tips in case you decide to ever make another one:
OokamiKasumi wrote:I didn't know how to. I didn't come up with the code.
I wrote the code and I put it at the top so that if you have spill-over it could extend to another line.
We could it go down like a list on the left hand side of the screen. Would be good in a wide angle format.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:-don't use quite so many objects at a time, it makes it too easy to randomly click on things and get stuff that's on the list
I'll have to see if we could add a penalty for random clicking. :twisted:

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll work on changing the location of the item list.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#21 Post by Aleema »

Actually, I definitely was expecting a penalty for clicking. That's what most commercial HO games do, so you learn to click things when you're darn sure, and you feel anxious clicking the same thing twice just to make sure you didn't misclick. But these games usually have timers, meaning, complete each room in XX minutes or joo fail, and if you click, that timer is reduced.

I was also hesitant to click the "hint" button, since that is also restricted in HO games. You get something like 5 hints for each round, on any room, but once those are up, you're screwed.

So the game was rather easy considering I don't think there was a time limit or a hint limit. But it's times like these were you have to be a good sport with yourself. Do you want to play the game, or do you simply want a screen that says "you win" on it? :)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by OokamiKasumi »

azureXtwilight wrote:I wasn't a fan of hidden object game, but the art... CAN'T RESIST!
Thank you so much! I spend 2 to 3 days on each room.
azureXtwilight wrote:Overall, that was fun! It took longer because I stared :P Thank you for making another beautiful game for the community!
My pleasure!
-- Just so you know, the items change each time you play it. There are 25 to 35 click-able items in each room, but the game is set for 15, so each time you play it, it's different.
SusanTheCat wrote: It is nice getting specific things to work on.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:- put the list of items on the bottom of the screen so that it's in the same place as the dialogue box
We could it go down like a list on the left hand side of the screen. Would be good in a wide angle format.
A list across the bottom would be my choice. I don't use a widescreen monitor, so I'd have to pass on a list on the side. I wouldn't be able to test it properly.
SusanTheCat wrote:
I'll have to see if we could add a penalty for random clicking. :twisted:
Yes, please!!!
Aleema wrote:Actually, I definitely was expecting a penalty for clicking. That's what most commercial HO games do, so you learn to click things when you're darn sure, and you feel anxious clicking the same thing twice just to make sure you didn't misclick. But these games usually have timers, meaning, complete each room in XX minutes or joo fail, and if you click, that timer is reduced.
I don't know how to do a time limit. So sorry. ):
Aleema wrote:I was also hesitant to click the "hint" button, since that is also restricted in HO games. You get something like 5 hints for each round, on any room, but once those are up, you're screwed.
There was a limit on hints! You get three per room, that's all.
Aleema wrote:So the game was rather easy considering I don't think there was a time limit or a hint limit. But it's times like these were you have to be a good sport with yourself. Do you want to play the game, or do you simply want a screen that says "you win" on it? :)
Truthfully, I made the game to show off my pretty graphics. Was that bad?
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by SusanTheCat »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Aleema wrote:Actually, I definitely was expecting a penalty for clicking. That's what most commercial HO games do, so you learn to click things when you're darn sure, and you feel anxious clicking the same thing twice just to make sure you didn't misclick. But these games usually have timers, meaning, complete each room in XX minutes or joo fail, and if you click, that timer is reduced.
I don't know how to do a time limit. So sorry. ):
We could have a running total and check it after every screen. sort of
"That took you X seconds. I only have Y seconds left until I have to leave."
If they go over, then you can have a message along the lines: "I have to go now. I guess I'll never know what I was looking for."

Great, now my brain wants to make a High Score board. I hate my brain sometimes.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by OokamiKasumi »

SusanTheCat wrote:
We could have a running total and check it after every screen. sort of
-- "That took you X seconds. I only have Y seconds left until I have to leave."
If they go over, then you can have a message along the lines:
-- "I have to go now. I guess I'll never know what I was looking for."

Great, now my brain wants to make a High Score board. I hate my brain sometimes.
-- Susan
How about, instead of a timer, since that will likely be a real pain to do, how about a tally score for clicks on non-clickable objects/areas? If they reach, say, 5 non-clicks, they get tossed out of the room and have to do it over?

I don't like the idea of tossing someone out of the whole game for happy-clicking.

You know, I'd be willing to revamp the game; make a sort of Director's Cut version to accommodate a click penalty, and a list across the bottom? I'd even add more rooms to make it worthwhile to download.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#25 Post by Aleema »

I humbly take back what I said about the hints. I never went past 3 so I didn't know. Sorry!
Also, I didn't mean to imply something bad about your game from that quote. It *is* easier than commercial HO games, but that doesn't mean it was bad or that it should have been way harder. I found it charming and I'm glad to see it produced in such quality. I was expecting a lot worse from a home-brew HO game, and the Photoshop job barely crossed my mind -- the stuff looked like it was supposed to be there. So your goal was definitely a success.

In response to Kimi's feedback ... I wonder how many HO games you've played? "Don't use too many objects?" Haha, that's the exact opposite of a HO game. It's basically hoarder house after hoarder. Also, figuring out what the description even means is part of the game. In one game, I was told to find a "screwdriver" and I spent *way too long* looking for it, finally hit hints ... IT WAS THE DAMN DRINK on the bar!! I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. :lol: Clever, but they knew what they were doing. That sort of stuff comes up all the time in HO games, and I love it and heartily encourage it (in moderation). I also see no problem with the list being at the top. It never once crossed my mind as not being okay there and I can't think of any reason why it was suggested to move other than some consistency with the dialogue box? Right now, it balances out the page at the top and the hints at the bottom.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Aleema wrote:I humbly take back what I said about the hints. I never went past 3 so I didn't know. Sorry!

Also, I didn't mean to imply something bad about your game from that quote. It *is* easier than commercial HO games, but that doesn't mean it was bad or that it should have been way harder. I found it charming and I'm glad to see it produced in such quality. I was expecting a lot worse from a home-brew HO game, and the Photoshop job barely crossed my mind -- the stuff looked like it was supposed to be there. So your goal was definitely a success.
Aleema, sweety, I found nothing you said offensive in any way. Really! You liked playing my game and you liked the art. That's good enough for me. Of course it wasn't on the level of a commercial game. I'm not good enough at coding to make one that impressive.
Aleema wrote:... I also see no problem with the list being at the top. It never once crossed my mind as not being okay there and I can't think of any reason why it was suggested to move other than some consistency with the dialogue box? Right now, it balances out the page at the top and the hints at the bottom.
Thank you, sincerely. :)

Though I do agree that there should be a penalty for over-clicking.

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#27 Post by Soraminako »

That is one gorgeous game!! Your photoshopping skills are amazing!

Hopefully this isn't an annoyance, but I have to ask: if you ever feel like making a little tutorial on what filters etc. and what techniques you use on photos, it would be great! :D The girl really looks like she was drawn, but she was originally a photo, right? Or is she drawn? It's really impressive. In your other games too, I'm always impressed.

You make such beautiful games! And so fun also!! (I don't remember if I commented in the thread about it some time ago when I played it, but I played the Yaoi Story generator one and loved it!! :D *must try the others too sometime*)
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Soraminako wrote:That is one gorgeous game!! Your photoshopping skills are amazing!
I'm so glad you like it!
Soraminako wrote:Hopefully this isn't an annoyance, but I have to ask: if you ever feel like making a little tutorial on what filters etc. and what techniques you use on photos, it would be great! :D
I'm sure it would be great! Just think of all the backgrounds you wouldn't have to draw. Just set up a Photoshop action to run through all the necessary filters and three seconds later, one finished background suitable for hand-drawn characters.

However, I must politely decline. It took me far too long to figure out exactly what combination of filters (most of them Not included with Photoshop and rather expensive) it takes to make photos look like that. I'm not about to just give away nearly a year's worth of experimentation and my only advantage in game making; halfway decent art.
Soraminako wrote:The girl really looks like she was drawn, but she was originally a photo, right? Or is she drawn? It's really impressive. In your other games too, I'm always impressed.
Yes, those were all originally photographs. In my other games too. Everything, including the backgrounds were originally photos. While I can draw, I can't do people on the level it would take to make decent game characters.
Soraminako wrote:You make such beautiful games! And so fun also!! (I don't remember if I commented in the thread about it some time ago when I played it, but I played the Yaoi Story generator one and loved it!! :D *must try the others too sometime*)
I'm absolutely thrilled you like art and my little games. :)

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#29 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Most awesome hidden object game I ever played.
The graphics are awesome, and the objects aren't that hard to find, but there's a bit of a challenge too.
The graphics are cool, and the music is really calming~
Your photoshopping skills are badass. >D

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#30 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:Most awesome hidden object game I ever played.
The graphics are awesome, and the objects aren't that hard to find, but there's a bit of a challenge too.
The graphics are cool, and the music is really calming~
Your photoshopping skills are badass. >D
Wow... Thank you so much!