Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Nerdy Valentine 2/14/14]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering

#16 Post by mysterialize »

Well, it's referencing a meme and Magic: The Gathering, so I dunno. It seems pretty suitably nerdy to me.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Please make this game

Just please.

I was laughing reading all the character descriptions XD
deviantART
---------------------

NatsukiDeath
Veteran
Completed: Life's....Complex
Projects: "Another Way VN" , "Phantom of the Opera VN" , "LoveChub?!"

#18 Post by NatsukiDeath »

I Love this!

Totally want to see it continue and grow.

Haha Douglas can't remember french ( man I just had those classes)

Kurt seem interesting~

Wish you luck!~

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#19 Post by Omnificent »

Thank you all again for all the feedback!

azurextwilight, Sapphi: I'll see if there's a good place in anyone's path for creeper nerds. :P I'm still writing the script so if it flows right they could show up.

Arsenic_Love: Thanks! Though as Kyminara and mysterialize said, the title is one massive referencefest. As is the script for that matter.

Kyminara: A little scary? XD I guess it's good to be shaking things up.

Lepapillonrouge: Glad to entertain. :P I hope that the finished product ends up being at least halfway funny as well.

NatsukiDeath: Yeah, Douglas is one of those folks who blitzes the minimum language requirement and never looks back. Thanks for the luck, I'll need it. :P

So I've been working on the script a little bit each day, but tonight I also started on sprites. I decided to learn from my first attempt at making sprites for my other VN project and make the heads first so it's easier to shade/switch around body sprites later.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image

The absolute best part of doing your own VN sprites is that you can draw exactly what appeals to you. For instance: redheads.

Edit:

Edit x2 combo:

I've had the Vocaloid song 'Matroyshka' stuck in my head and Jeff and Mike's dynamic kind of goes with the song.
Last edited by Omnificent on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#20 Post by Aleema »

Omnificent wrote:The absolute best part of doing your own VN sprites is that you can draw exactly what appeals to you. For instance: redheads.
*highfiveumph* "Luscious locks of red hair" club, make we should.
Also: if you don't complete this game, I will find you. You will pay for the injustice you have inflicted.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Applegate »

Not even 2,000 words into the script and you've already got people threatening you, Muscat. I don't remember you being this kind of villain. I see your disembodied heads drawings still persist. :P

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#22 Post by Glasskitten »

This. Is. So. CUUUUUUUTTTTTTTEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*commences badly missing the anime club at her last university*
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Mocha07734
Regular
Projects: Toy Box

#23 Post by Mocha07734 »

I must say... this... is... just... epic! :O
I agree with Aleema. If you don't finish this game I will hunt you down and make you pay for your injustice.

DaR
Regular

#24 Post by DaR »

Mocha07734 wrote: I agree with Aleema. If you don't finish this game I will hunt you down and make you pay for your injustice.
I third this statement. xD
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#25 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Oh this is far from the default anime style games and I like it!. Cool style of art and off-beat characters, sweet! Good luck.

Omnificent
Veteran

#26 Post by Omnificent »

Aleema: If I knew what section to post such a thread in I would do so at once. :P Also thank you for the death/torture threat, I need all I can get in order to continue being productive!

Applegate: Not disembodied for long, just need to get all the body portions inked/colored. I still haven't even given a thought to music/backgrounds/CGs, but I'll put those off until at least script completion enough for the demo.

Glasskitten: Haha, yeah. A lot of what birthed this VN idea was my own nostalgia for my college's Anime and Gaming Clubs, so I know the feeling.

Mocha, DaR: Thank you for your additional terror/support!

Marcelo_Orlando: Thanks! I'm worried now that the characters won't live up to their off-beat descriptions in the OP, but I'll do my best.

The script is currently at 10,927 words, possibly counting some filler and liner note-type stuff. 50 pages sure seems like a lot less when it's in bits and pieces of script format.

Somewhat on that subject, I have a couple of questions:

1) How long of a demo would you guys want? The VN takes place over two weeks, with morning, lunch, afternoon, and afterschool segments for each day except the first. A demo over the course of a week would mean having exactly halfway completion and that the end product might not seem too substantial, but a demo of two to three days might not leave things at a good enough ending point/give you enough of a sense of all of the characters. What are your thoughts?

2) What do you think is hidden under Greg's bangs? Best answer(s) may work themselves into Michelle's delusional nightmares.

3) Not a question, but there is going to be at least one secret route.
Last edited by Omnificent on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Mocha07734
Regular
Projects: Toy Box

#27 Post by Mocha07734 »

1) I personally think two to three days would be better since I like suprises and I don't want to know half of the game just from the demo. But that is just my personal preference and I don't know about others. Actually you might not even need the demo if it's going to be short enough that a demo will take up half the story. (Just like Alema had said)

2) Hurrrr. I personally believe instead of eyes in his eye sockets there are little pink pixies, which use the eyes as an entry and exit to his brain... /shot
Oh wait... Kurt?
His bangs aren't that long. You can see basically all of his face.
I thought you were talking about Greg.

*Edited after previous post edited*
Last edited by Mocha07734 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#28 Post by Aleema »

Thoughts on a demo: people are going to want whatever you can give them. Think about if you even need a demo. If the game is short enough to surmise that a "demo" of the game would be half the game, the sucker doesn't need one. Just finish and then we can enjoy the whole thing in one piece as intended. If you WANT to have a demo, because you need the feedback or it's been a while and you want to show progress, then find a note in your story that you want to end on. Either a cliffhanger or a sense of "nothing possibly can go wrong now" or the achievement of a short term goal, or something. Asking us, in terms of days, is kinda meaningless since we don't know how long those are or what happens during them.

Could there possibly be something under Kurt's bangs? It looks rather short ... Maybe his roots as proof he dyes his hair? His eyebrows are very thick and his hair looks light so it conflicts. xD

Edit: Wait. Who is Kurt? I'm confused.

Omnificent
Veteran

#29 Post by Omnificent »

Whoops, I meant to type 'Greg'. This is what I get for having characters with four-letter names and typing early in the morning. Edited!

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Applegate »

I'd recommend you use a demo only if you have need of additional assets and assistance: people can use the demo to see what they'd be working with and all. For the rest of us, we're probably okay with a full version, Musk.

Though, you should give me a demo as a sneak peek and all just because. ;D I can't believe you're at 10k words already. I'm still mulling over my short 3k works to see what should be changed or edited and fret about them. 10k'd make me forever edit. :P