For GxB game. Do you prefer a side image or no side image?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: For GxB game. Do you prefer a side image or no side imag

#16 Post by HigurashiKira »

I like it if the main character has a side image, it's totaly better than a facless *insert gender here*
The thing I find stupid is that many VN writers work on describing their MC's personality and stuff like that, yet they refuse to show their face or give them any emotions (I'm looking at you, erouge games)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Nagu

#17 Post by Nagu »

HigurashiKira wrote: The thing I find stupid is that many VN writers work on describing their MC's personality and stuff like that, yet they refuse to show their face or give them any emotions (I'm looking at you, erouge games)
assddfsasdfsa xDDD
A-anyway...
I prefer side image. Is nice to see MC expressions and reactions. Even more when it matches with your own face while playing haha.
Working on my own VN right now. wohoo! :D
http://nagusame.deviantart.com
SOMETIMES my english is really awful.
Pero hablo y escribo español xD

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#18 Post by Snow Blossom »

I prefer side images. When playing a game, I want to feel like I'm actually in it as much as possible, which is easier when I'm actually given a face to identify with. I mean, playing as a faceless person doesn't provide me as much of a concrete image of the role I'm in... It feels like I'm not there >3>

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#19 Post by HikkiPanda »

Side image is better, me don't like faceless main character T___T
RemnantDream wrote:I have another question about this. Would you rather there be a side image of the MC or have the MC be a sprite on screen?
I didn't know if I should make a new thread for this since it's such a closely related topic..
I prefer both :D (dunno if that's possible though XD). But if I have to choose one, I guess I prefer the MC to have a sprite on screen. This is especially important for me if your game has dress up feature ^^

sadness

#20 Post by sadness »

yeah I prefere the side image too

Veniae
Veteran

#21 Post by Veniae »

Definitely a side image. A sprite with the MC confuses me, and having neither is a bit... Plain and lacking in character? (One of the things that annoyed me the most in Tokimemo was that you couldn't see the heroine's face.)

On a side note, I thought it was rather confusing that in Yo-Jin-Bo they had the character sprites PLUS side images. Didn't know which one to look at.

maryeliezka
Completed: The Ghost on The Shore
Projects: Project Helix
Organization: Project Helix Team

#22 Post by maryeliezka »

Of course having side images is the best one. Especially if you are using first person POV.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#23 Post by Watercolorheart »

I like side-image if it's not a crop and copy/paste of the original sprite being displayed above the textbox. :(

It helps put a face to the name super fast and increases recognition.

I think that we shouldn't compare ourselves so much to Japanese or commercial releases—it's high time for this community to make its own conventions and discuss our own. And I do like side-image in most Ren'Py releases! In fact, it's also a way to occasionally omit sprites and show off really nice backgrounds.

It also allows for convincing two-way dialogue during extended CGs.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Mocha07734
Regular
Projects: Toy Box

#24 Post by Mocha07734 »

I also, agreeing with the many people here, also prefer to have side images.
As long as there isn't both a side image and a sprite up of the main character at the same time. >_<;

I also like to see what expression the main character is making when she interacts with the other characters.

Liz

#25 Post by Liz »

To be 100% honest, I like a side image, it's not necessary it's just when I'm reading the text I find it annoying to look up at the character's faces to see their expression but meh I'm just lazy -__- .

- ♥ Liz.
Liz Likes To Write :)
NEED A WRITER?
PM ME ♥

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#26 Post by MiSi »

I totally prefer a side image... I hate games, where you have to wait for the CGs until you know how the main character looks like... :)

If it's a third person story, though... I like a full sprite better

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#27 Post by Omnificent »

I know, bumping an old topic, but this is related:

I'm considering having voice acting in my game. Voiced protagonist or no?
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#28 Post by Anna »

I know, bumping an old topic, but this is related:

Depends on what kind of VN you're making. If it's a dating sim-ish game where 'you' are the character or it is heavily implied that you can see yourself as the MC. E.g. when the main character does have an appearance but not really a big personality and you make lots of choices/pursue things etc., then I wouldn't voice it.

Also on topic:

I'm not really sure which I prefer when it comes to third person limited point of view (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_limited), but when it's first person point of view... seeing the character's face feels kind of weird :0? You see it from that character's pov, which doesn't include him/herself. I see CGs as the only exception to this.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#29 Post by sake-bento »

Omnificent wrote:I know, bumping an old topic, but this is related:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=11589
Most people around here seem to say no voices period.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#30 Post by Omnificent »

Yeah, that seems to be a pretty common opinion. But I think that if done just right, voice acting could add an extra layer of emotion to a work. There are a lot of Japanese VNs in which that's the case (Ever17 where the voices add emotion that the sprites don't always have, FSN Realta Nua where the action is mostly implied by sound + a bunch of slashy-lines), and I think that there is potential for it in the OELVN world as well.

But I'm still only going to test it on the demo first just to see if people might hate it. :P
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!