Do you guys keep a sketchpad with you?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
emovampire1
Projects: Truth or Dare

Re: Do you guys keep a sketchpad with you?

#16 Post by emovampire1 »

Defintetly id die with out one lolz >o<
its useful for venting or making characters///

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#17 Post by Sapphi »

Any notebook (or heck, any piece of paper) I have eventually becomes a sketchpad of some kind. I have at times also resorted to such things as restaurant napkins, paper plates, and wood chips.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#18 Post by MaiMai »

I usually carry a small one to scribble on when I'm bored.

I have to have my sketchbook on me for my drawing class.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#19 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

No, I never carry a sketchbook around. It's weird, because I have a degree in art, I work professionally as an artist, and the ONE THING art teachers are always harping about is to always carry a sketchbook.

One reason I don't is that I hate being burdened or encumbered in anyway. I don't like watches, bags, gloves, or hats for the same reason. I hate having to keep up with something extra.

Reason two is that I hate people watching me draw and nothing attracts a flock of people to stare over your shoulder like a sketchbook. I used to refuse to draw if people were watching, a kind of performance anxiety, but I got over that when I went to work for a studio. (If it is your job to draw, your boss really wants to see you draw, and they get understandably annoyed when your pencil stops moving whenever they get close!) And if you carry a sketchbook any friend or casual acquaintance will always want to take and look at it. Since my sketchbooks are for my personal use and for studies, notes, or composition design in preparation for a finished or a show piece, I have no desire for people to look at them anyway. It's like I'm trying to design a beautiful illusion or effect and everyone is wanting to look behind the scenes at the scaffolding and glue.

Also, when I'm not home I'm always doing something specific. I'm commuting to and from work. Or I'm going shopping. Or to the movies. I never go out to just wander around, so I have no opportunity to draw away from home anyway. If I want to draw something I can't draw at home, I sit in on a life drawing session (I have access to a nude model every Wednesday anyway though).

I have a question for everyone that carries a sketchbook everywhere - do you censor yourself in your sketchbook for fear someone will see it? Do you count on no one seeing it? Or do you not care?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#20 Post by MaiMai »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Reason two is that I hate people watching me draw and nothing attracts a flock of people to stare over your shoulder like a sketchbook. I used to refuse to draw if people were watching, a kind of performance anxiety, but I got over that when I went to work for a studio.
Oooh man. I still get really annoyed if people ask to look in my sketchbook and I only let people or kids look at what I have if they ask nicely enough. I don't draw anything really objectionable so I'm fine in that regard. There are certain people I absolutely refuse to show my sketchbook to no matter how much they ask because there's a snobby part of me that thinks they wouldn't appreciate it.

Or maybe I secretly hate them, I don't know. :roll:
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#21 Post by Tag- »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: I have a question for everyone that carries a sketchbook everywhere - do you censor yourself in your sketchbook for fear someone will see it? Do you count on no one seeing it? Or do you not care?

For me, art is purely a hobby, I have no desire to pursue a career in art. This is probably why I don't really care whether people see my things or not. I don't go around shoving my sketchbook in peoples' faces, but if they ask, I won't refuse.

Of course, there's always a chance that the sketches and concepts in it bore them, then they would hand it back awkwardly :lol:

Although I really don't like people watching over my shoulder or staring, it makes me self conscious ><
PM me if needed

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#22 Post by Sapphi »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: I have a question for everyone that carries a sketchbook everywhere - do you censor yourself in your sketchbook for fear someone will see it? Do you count on no one seeing it? Or do you not care?
Yes. :(

When I was in junior high, actually, I used to carry around an "angst book"... basically a notebook where I could sketch morbid self portraits and write bad, angsty poetry. That thing went EVERYWHERE with me because if nothing else, it was an excuse to look busy so most people would leave me alone (and to look lonely, so a certain person would maybe deign to strike up a conversation with me...).

You would not believe how many people would just grab it on a whim and start flipping through it. I didn't make a big deal of it because I was afraid to seem angry (I am the ultimate doormat :( ) but I really hated it. So while I was carrying this notebook around to vent my feelings, I couldn't really vent my feelings, because people were constantly snatching it out of boredom and passing it around.

Eventually, I climbed out of the 60-ft hole I was drowning in and had no need for that kind of thing anymore, but I still do self-censor my drawings for this reason. You know, even at 20 years old, some people STILL have no grasp on personal space. One of my friends even thinks it's amusing to go through my purse, pull my money out of my wallet... I just silently seethe...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#23 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I have a question for everyone that carries a sketchbook everywhere - do you censor yourself in your sketchbook for fear someone will see it? Do you count on no one seeing it? Or do you not care?
Yes and no. Generally I just don't tend to draw things I might not want people to see (I'm not talking artistic nudes because I've done a whole heap of those and no one cares. It's more about the context of the piece), but when I do I tend to be way more guarded about the actual book. I remember once when I was younger I was pretty embarressed about drawing a manga style and of some of the fan art I did. I almost leapt across a desk to stop someone else looking at it. I have chilled a lot, but there are still some things that I won't show around in real life. The internet is another story.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#24 Post by Desu_Cake »

Why on earth would anyone do that? If I draw something I didn't want people to see, I'd just rip it out. But that's very rare.

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#25 Post by ScottySeng »

I carry a large sketchbook with me, though I call it a visual journal. I write and draw in it. Sometimes dreams are the best ideas for stories.
People act odd to artists. When I was drawing around on my college campus, people give you odd stares, or they will look at your work behind your shoulder.
This happened to me once, but some guy flicked me off when I was drawing the school fountain...not sure why to this day.
Yeah, and people going through your stuff to look at your sketchbook. I hate that. At least ask. I'm nervous because I keep the expensive copics in my bag as well.

I'm a shy person, so people staring back at me is a scary thing. Also, most people think anime/manga think drawing manga is kiddy (at least over here), so people say I need to grow up all of the time.

As for censoring. I sometimes forget that I took figure drawing and I drew the nude model in my sketchbook. I leave my drawings as is, even if they're bad.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#26 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Usually I don't care-- sometimes I even like it when someone looks XD But then, when someone looks and tells me stuff that seem really far away on what a I doing I shy away -_-