CLANNAD - The Past Path-

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
clannadman

Re: CLANNAD - The Past Path-

#31 Post by clannadman »

Arkon wrote:Finished Atsuko and Haruka arcs, I have to find now if Miu and Miwa have their routes as well.
But as for game - excellent, very touching story. About the final with the true story...
well, bit too tragic imho, I guess it's rather impossible to avoid Atsuko's death, but suicide of the main character was bit too much...
I like the music and sounds as well. All in all, one of the best fan made visual novel games I've chance to play. Gonna write a full reviev at my blog later, when I'll finish all routes.
You got a
bad ending rather than the true ending.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#32 Post by TsukiShima »

I was wondering if you can upload the game in mediafire or just here? I'm not sure why, but I can't upload it in ren'ai (my connection sucks) and my server already banned megaupload. I'm truly sorry for the trouble.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#33 Post by Wright1000 »

Finally, I have finished playing this game.
It was very long compared to most other games.
Unusual, too. In most VNs, the game ends when the obtainable girl accepts the protagonist.
But, here,
the game ended after your wife died and you are left alone with your son.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Yonowaaru

#34 Post by Yonowaaru »

The thing that's too bad about this game is that if you've played the original, you already know how it's going to end.
Because of that, the thing that was spoilered by Wright wasn't really a spoiler in the first place.

But, to be honest, the Miwa end was actually a really refreshing experience.
Not actually being able to 'get' the girl has, surprisingly enough, never really occurred to me as being a possibility.

Arkon
Regular

#35 Post by Arkon »

So only Atsuko has real ending? Kinda frustrating, imho.

clannadman

#36 Post by clannadman »

HanaMori wrote:I was wondering if you can upload the game in mediafire or just here? I'm not sure why, but I can't upload it in ren'ai (my connection sucks) and my server already banned megaupload. I'm truly sorry for the trouble.
The game is already on renai.us:
http://renai.us/game/clannadthepastpath.shtml
Wright1000 wrote:Finally, I have finished playing this game.
It was very long compared to most other games.
Unusual, too. In most VNs, the game ends when the obtainable girl accepts the protagonist.
But, here,
the game ended after your wife died and you are left alone with your son.
It's long for an amateur game but I felt it was better to try and stretch out the storyline.
I'm afraid that's simply for continuity reasons, leading into Clannad.
Yonowaaru wrote:The thing that's too bad about this game is that if you've played the original, you already know how it's going to end.
Because of that, the thing that was spoilered by Wright wasn't really a spoiler in the first place.

But, to be honest, the Miwa end was actually a really refreshing experience.
Not actually being able to 'get' the girl has, surprisingly enough, never really occurred to me as being a possibility.
I did think that Miwa's route was slightly different from the standard formula and I'm glad you found it refreshing :)
Arkon wrote:So only Atsuko has real ending? Kinda frustrating, imho.
Please spoiler anything you that could be considered revealing. And no, she isn't the only 'real' ending. Her ending is the canon ending but following the themes of Clannad, each route and universe is valid and equally important. There are multiple realities and it is up to the player (as Naoyuki) to decide where they end up (of course, life is quite random and mundane - this being reflected in the choices).

Arkon
Regular

#37 Post by Arkon »

Finished. One of the best (if not the best) fan made games I've ever seen. Congrats.
Just posted full review at my blog.

clannadman

#38 Post by clannadman »

Arkon wrote:Finished. One of the best (if not the best) fan made games I've ever seen. Congrats.
Just posted full review at my blog.
You flatter me :) I'm glad you enjoyed it and thank you for the positive review :P

Santander02

#39 Post by Santander02 »

Just finished playing your game, I loved it, one of the best I've tried.:D, I especially liked (for the most part, see below) that it is actually quite a long read, I really don't get the complaint that it needed longer, as this game already has a bigger word count than most VNs that are released here have

There are a few things that I thought could have been better, I really got the feeling that Atsuko's route dragged on for too much at the end, and found myself experiencing ending fatigue. I can't help it, but I really think that cutting Atsuko's route a bit, and putting that effort into making Haruka's route longer instead, would have made this a better game overall, especially as after going trough the "true" route first I found Haruka's to be disappointingly short. Really a shame, since I liked her character a lot.
I am note going to comment on Miwa's "route", since that seemed to be just another one of this game's bad ends, but I do think its weird that one has to got rough that bad end to even know who this character was
But all in all, thanks for such an enjoyable game, Ill keep an eye on anything you release next! :wink:
Last edited by Santander02 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

facades
Regular

#40 Post by facades »

Thanks, clannadman, for creating this game!
I'm an all-time Clannad and Clannad After Story fan, so when I saw this game, I immediately downloaded it
It turned out to be better than what I had expected! The game gave a very.. "Clannad-feel"
I think to really appreciate this game, you need to watch Clannad and Clannad After Story(:
When I watched Clannad, Naoyuki was only a less important side character for me. But after playing your game, I could see things from his perspective
and it somehow gave the Anime added meaning and background. I have greater respect and empathy for Naoyuki as a character now.
After playing this game, I couldn't help but re-watch the last episodes of Clannad After Story so that the stories could link up.
I re-watched the part where Naoyuki's mother talks to Tomoya about how his father had sacrificed everything to take care of him and the part where she meets Ushio for the first time.
I guess maybe those who did not watch After Story and only played the VN may think that it's a pretty depressing end, that's also the reason why I had to re-watch After Story,
because I needed a happy ending. But you've managed to make your game pretty consistent with the Anime and that is really commendable!
You've also made Naoyuki's initial attitude to life very similar to that of Tomoya's, Tomoya started out quite emo and was a delinquent. So I immediately thought " Like father, like son"
or " Like son, like father ? " The only part of the game that I thought was really harsh was how Atsuko was bullied by some seniors just for talking to them..and how Naoyuki was
ostracized because he came from another part of the country and became a hikikomori because of that. My first thought was " That's a really scary school" but maybe I've been
too sheltered and have not seen the worst in people yet.
But on the overall, I think your game is really good!(: And I agree with Samu-kun, a story about Nagisa's Dad would be absolutely hilarious!

theOldDog

#41 Post by theOldDog »

A wonderful game- absolutely the most touching game I've seen here. And very well done, both the artwork and the story. Congratulations!

clannadman

#42 Post by clannadman »

Santander02 wrote:Just finished playing your game, I loved it, one of the best I've tried.:D, I especially liked (for the most part, see below) that it is actually quite a long read, I really don't get the complaint that it needed longer, as this game already has a bigger word count than most VNs that are released here have

There are a few things that I thought could have been better, I really got the feeling that Atsuko's route dragged on for too much at the end, and found myself experiencing ending fatigue. I can't help it, but I really think that cutting Atsuko's route a bit, and putting that effort into making Haruka's route longer instead, would have made this a better game overall, especially as after going trough the "true" route first I found Haruka's to be disappointingly short. Really a shame, since I liked her character a lot.
I am note going to comment on Miwa's "route", since that seemed to be just another one of this game's bad ends, but I do think its weird that one has to got rough that bad end to even know who this character was
But all in all, thanks for such an enjoyable game, Ill keep an eye on anything you release next! :wink:
Thankyou for your kind words and comments. This game does appear to have a few issues and I may come back to it at some point with a v 2.0 although I can't promise anything.
facades wrote:Thanks, clannadman, for creating this game!
I'm an all-time Clannad and Clannad After Story fan, so when I saw this game, I immediately downloaded it
It turned out to be better than what I had expected! The game gave a very.. "Clannad-feel"
I think to really appreciate this game, you need to watch Clannad and Clannad After Story(:
When I watched Clannad, Naoyuki was only a less important side character for me. But after playing your game, I could see things from his perspective
and it somehow gave the Anime added meaning and background. I have greater respect and empathy for Naoyuki as a character now.
After playing this game, I couldn't help but re-watch the last episodes of Clannad After Story so that the stories could link up.
I re-watched the part where Naoyuki's mother talks to Tomoya about how his father had sacrificed everything to take care of him and the part where she meets Ushio for the first time.
I guess maybe those who did not watch After Story and only played the VN may think that it's a pretty depressing end, that's also the reason why I had to re-watch After Story,
because I needed a happy ending. But you've managed to make your game pretty consistent with the Anime and that is really commendable!
You've also made Naoyuki's initial attitude to life very similar to that of Tomoya's, Tomoya started out quite emo and was a delinquent. So I immediately thought " Like father, like son"
or " Like son, like father ? " The only part of the game that I thought was really harsh was how Atsuko was bullied by some seniors just for talking to them..and how Naoyuki was
ostracized because he came from another part of the country and became a hikikomori because of that. My first thought was " That's a really scary school" but maybe I've been
too sheltered and have not seen the worst in people yet.
But on the overall, I think your game is really good!(: And I agree with Samu-kun, a story about Nagisa's Dad would be absolutely hilarious!
Thankyou :) I heard the same thing from another person.
They watched the anime after playing and apparently it really changed the way they saw Naoyuki. The students are quite harsh but this we all know how cruel kids can be. I think the majority of it is also in his head. He's a rather quiet person, overthinking nearly every situation and being self-deprecating when he can. Haha, a game with Akio would be brilliant although if I've learnt one thing from this project it's that making a fangame is more tiring and complicated than an original work. I think it comes from the fright of getting it wrong and bearing the brunt of anger from fans. I possibly chose Naoyuki because most people don't necessarily empathise with his character, leaving room for creativity.
theOldDog wrote:A wonderful game- absolutely the most touching game I've seen here. And very well done, both the artwork and the story. Congratulations!
Thankyou :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

risingdreams
Regular

#43 Post by risingdreams »

Please, tell me if Miu and Shige have routes. I liked Shige, for whatever reason XD.
icon from x_dirge_icons@LJ

clannadman

#44 Post by clannadman »

risingdreams wrote:Please, tell me if Miu and Shige have routes. I liked Shige, for whatever reason XD.
I'm afraid only Atsuko and Haruka have routes with good ends. Miwa has a sort of semi-route since she does have her own unique ending. Shige is just a side character and Miu is also (although you can access an ending with her).
At some point in the future I may come back to this project with some writers and artists and remake it with fully completed routes for all the characters, but that's not happening any time soon.

Beveque
Projects: Sparrow ~Beautiful Fate~
Organization: Songbird Media

#45 Post by Beveque »

I'm downloading this now, but I can say that I can't wait to play it. I loved Clannad, so I'm positive this will be fun. Plus, the artwork is amazing.

I'll edit this once I reach one of the endings.