Endings in Visual Novels

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Re: Endings in Visual Novels

#16 Post by ririruetoo »

Ugh School Days traumatized me for life...
ImageImageImage

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#17 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Mink wrote:Rewritten Ennui, part of me wants to interpret that as, "No one is allowed to have a happy ending ever. There will be no closure." That's...probably not what you mean. 8D
The first part is kinda right ("No one is allowed to have a happy ending ever."), but I hate stories with unsatisfying/lack of closure. It's like the author's brain failed on them at the last moment and they decided to just end it with a crappy sentence. One such example would be "And they walked into the sunset, never to be seen ever again." Without the proper build-up, that's a cheap ending to any story D:<

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I dislike Disney movie-like endings in any type of media except when it's an animated Disney movie, because I hate those life action ones. Yes, I am biased. Me like animation :D
ririruetoo wrote:Ugh School Days traumatized me for life...
I just had to do that. Sorry :(
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#18 Post by Darkmoonfire »

I tend to prefer happy endings because I like to see people overcome their problems. Stories where the characters try to overcome their problems but fail tend to feel like a waste of time to me. Also I feel that it is much easier to screw everyone's life over than it is to have them realistically reach a happy ending, so bad endings can come across as cheap to me.
In games with multiple endings, such as most visual novels, I like for there to be bad endings, but not be the main ending. If it doesn't matter what the characters do because they'll always get a good ending, it also makes things feel pointless to me. The characters actions should have an impact on the ending of the game.
I think the path to the ending is more important to me than the ending itself, but the ending is important. Resolution is important to me, so if I don't feel like everything was resolved in a satisfactory manner, it could ruin the whole game for me. So cliffhangers should only be used if you plan to make a sequel that resolves it.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by HigurashiKira »

Darkmoonfire wrote:I tend to prefer happy endings because I like to see people overcome their problems. Stories where the characters try to overcome their problems but fail tend to feel like a waste of time to me. Also I feel that it is much easier to screw everyone's life over than it is to have them realistically reach a happy ending, so bad endings can come across as cheap to me.
In games with multiple endings, such as most visual novels, I like for there to be bad endings, but not be the main ending. If it doesn't matter what the characters do because they'll always get a good ending, it also makes things feel pointless to me. The characters actions should have an impact on the ending of the game.
I think the path to the ending is more important to me than the ending itself, but the ending is important. Resolution is important to me, so if I don't feel like everything was resolved in a satisfactory manner, it could ruin the whole game for me. So cliffhangers should only be used if you plan to make a sequel that resolves it.
But the main ending is usally the most favorable conclusion. Thus why it is called a "Good" End or the True End. So a bad ending can't be the main ending for a game.

And speaking of those cruel "Good" Ends, I really like them since it prooves that even though you may have gotten the best ending, it still isn't perfect.
Killer Queen's second ending and almost all of Deph Edition's endings are this
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by ririruetoo »

ririruetoo wrote:Ugh School Days traumatized me for life...
I just had to do that. Sorry :([/quote]

HA! Don't worry, I find it funny! I love how the last episode was so violent the broadcasting channel had to resort to THAT.
ImageImageImage

gundestiny
Regular

#21 Post by gundestiny »

The best endings for me would definitely be ones that leave no loose ends, and make me go, "Ah! Now I get it!" kinda thing..

Also (this is particularly directed at Romance-esque VN's), I like to see what happened to the pairing many years later. (whether they got married, or broke up etc.)
Just like knowing how my favourite (or least favourite) pairing got along after getting together :3
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by ririruetoo »

gundestiny wrote:Also (this is particularly directed at Romance-esque VN's), I like to see what happened to the pairing many years later. (whether they got married, or broke up etc.)
Just like knowing how my favourite (or least favourite) pairing got along after getting together :3
I like those sort of endings too! Which is why I'm doing them in the VN I'm working on.
ImageImageImage

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#23 Post by azureXtwilight »

Funny, I think I asked for this before...

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... lit=ending

Btw, I like twisted irony endings. Like those where all seems good, but nooo! You actually activated the device of doom!
*horrible example*

Anyone gets the saya no uta reference?

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#24 Post by Mink »

Rewritten Ennui wrote:
Mink wrote:Rewritten Ennui, part of me wants to interpret that as, "No one is allowed to have a happy ending ever. There will be no closure." That's...probably not what you mean. 8D
The first part is kinda right ("No one is allowed to have a happy ending ever."), but I hate stories with unsatisfying/lack of closure. It's like the author's brain failed on them at the last moment and they decided to just end it with a crappy sentence. One such example would be "And they walked into the sunset, never to be seen ever again." Without the proper build-up, that's a cheap ending to any story D:<

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I dislike Disney movie-like endings in any type of media except when it's an animated Disney movie, because I hate those life action ones. Yes, I am biased. Me like animation :D
How about Earn Your Happy Ending endings? They get a happy ending, but they really have to *work* for it.

Also, here's a good explanation of why I'm against ZOMG DARK ANGST stories.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#25 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Mink wrote:How about Earn Your Happy Ending endings? They get a happy ending, but they really have to *work* for it.
Yeeeeeeeesssss.... that's it. Earn Your Happy Endings are 100% compatible with me and I love a good one :D
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

gundestiny
Regular

#26 Post by gundestiny »

Mink wrote: How about Earn Your Happy Ending endings? They get a happy ending, but they really have to *work* for it.
Oh yeah, these endings are definitely good ones too, if pulled off properly that is.
It always gives you a warm fuzzy feeling if your favourite characters managed to go to hell and back, to later live happily ever after despite all the sacrifices, drama and possibly death.

Endings which also have the protagonist developed in a positive, more optimistic light generally provide a sense of achievement too :3
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#27 Post by Snow Blossom »

I like cliffhangers, but only when they're in mystery stories. If otherwise, :evil: .
Aside from that, I'd say I like bittersweet/tragic endings - not ones where a character dies, but rather ones where not all problems are resolved. Basically, endings that accept that not everything can be perfect, but life goes on. I find those endings the most romantic. *sighs dreamily*
For the reverse, the type of ending that I'd like to toss into a boiling pot of oil would be those sappy, everything-is-perfect endings. BLERGH. I like romantic endings, but these aren't that - they're just cheesy and unbelievable. D:<

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by ririruetoo »

@Snow Blossom

I totally agree with you about sappy happy endings!
ImageImageImage

PenDragyn
Projects: Insanity: Embrace the Madness
Organization: 13

#29 Post by PenDragyn »

---What type of endings do you like or dislike?-
I really dislike hate sudden death routes where it gives a decision branch with only one good option. What's the point of giving me a stupid decision that will either kill me or advance the plot in the same way it was going already?

-Then again, I'm a little prejudiced in this topic because, for some reason, I always get the 'badends' and 'deathends' in visual novels. I used to think I was the Master of all video games..! Until I found Visual Novels... Where I can never 'capture' people on the first try, and if a death route exists, I will find it! (Unintentionally :cry: )

---Anyways- For good endings I prefer anything that effects me on some emotional level. Whether that be happiness, sadness, or fear. I want something that leaves a lasting impact.
(Though I'm partial to unconventional ends... Harem, revenge, lust, madness, or randomness! Love randomness, and whimsy! There should be much more whimsy in games.)

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by ririruetoo »

What about endings that do a complete 160? Like it starts out like a happy normal slice of life, then BAM gets all serious and sad?
ImageImageImage