Ren'Py's Public Image

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RedSlash
Veteran

#121 Post by RedSlash »

The problem is, without mentioning what Ren'Py is, people don't know why they should search for it. It's a chicken and egg problem, I think.
A simple analogy would be something like "Best browsed with the Firefox web browser" (boring) vs. "Get Firefox!" (catchy!) and although the latter says nothing about what Firefox actually is, it turns out to be much more effective over the first as a viral marketing tool.

Well, here's how I think about it. If we say "Made with the Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine", when people see this phrase, they'll think, well this game was made with ren'py, which is just another VN engine like ONScripter or Blade.

But if we say something like "Powered by Ren'py", or some snazzy phrase like Firefox did, e.g. "Get Ren'py!" and throw in a cool looking logo, then when people see this they'll wonder, what is it? This scheme will be effective once they start seeing this catch phrase/logo in every game they play and every website they surf. When they finally click on the text/logo which leads them to the renpy website, they'll think... oh, renpy is a VN engine, everyone seems to be using it, its cool, its trendy and its in! I shoud use it too!

Anyhow, I'm not complaining about what phrase you're going to use, but I do think that "Made with the Ren'Py Visual Novel Engine" is kinda boring and can be improved on. Let me know if I'm making any sense in this discussion.

Oh, and it has been unofficially agreed on that the egg came first.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#122 Post by monele »

This scheme will be effective once they start seeing this catch phrase/logo in every game they play and every website they surf.
Me likes :). So yea, conclusion, let's make more games, be unobtrusive in our ways, and let the magic happen ^^

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#123 Post by Blue Lemma »

RedSlash: Yep, I agree Ren'Py could use a cool logo. Something you could see and think "hey, it's Ren'Py!" Something people could stick on their tutorial sites, games, whereever 8)

I'm in favor of something combination cute/sexy :wink: Like a cute/sexy chibi hybrid with python! Wheee!

Ren

#124 Post by Ren »

I hope this is the right place to post:
I've already sent this to PyTom(as soon as my carpy connection AND computer stopped being mean to me, i'm just glad i had a backup of my stuff before it started PMSing...) but i think it's kind of related to this topic so...

There's a magazine in Italy wich focuses on Hentai games, visual novels and Japanese culture; in the past issue they were talking about Renpy http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7153/renpykv2.gif and in the latest one they posted the second part of the article/tutorial http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5551/renpy2bc6.gif

They posted some images from Amgine park and Garden society Kikuit as you can see, and it seems they liked them too^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#125 Post by PyTom »

It strikes me that this would count as notability for anyone who want to make a Wikipedia article about Ren'Py... I will disqualify myself from doing so, on the grounds that I'm a mite biased. (I will point out that both NScripter and ONScripter have articles.)

I was also fooling around with a new web-corners javascript, Nifty Corners. The result is at:

http://www.bishoujo.us/tmp/nifty/layout.html

It gets the buttons right, automatically, which is something I like.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#126 Post by Alessio »

Ren wrote:There's a magazine in Italy wich focuses on Hentai games, visual novels and Japanese culture; in the past issue they were talking about Renpy
Wow, well done, thanks for finding that one. That's interesting. So now it'll be only a matter of time before we get flooded by Ren'Py H-games in Italian. ^_^

Ren

#127 Post by Ren »

PyTom wrote:(I will point out that both NScripter and ONScripter have articles.)
Only nScripter, and just for one issue, Renpy has two articles already and there's gonna be a third ;P

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#128 Post by monele »

Isn't it like you just had to wish it for it to happen ? Man... Ren'Py in a magazine... looks so cool X3

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#129 Post by PyTom »

Ren wrote:Only nScripter, and just for one issue, Renpy has two articles already and there's gonna be a third ;P
I meant on Wikipedia. :-)

I'm actually surprised they covered (O)Nscripter... as best as I can tell (from reading http://forums.haeleth.net/viewtopic.php?p=16481#16481 and looking at the SJIS character set), you can't write a game in Italian with an nscripter-based engine, as you can't express the accented characters properly.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#130 Post by Alessio »

PyTom wrote:I'm actually surprised they covered (O)Nscripter (...) you can't write a game in Italian with an nscripter-based engine, as you can't express the accented characters properly.
Hmmm... thinking about fan-made Hentai (pardon the prejudice) I'd think correct accents are not the top priority of the authors... *ducks and covers*

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#131 Post by PyTom »

Actually, reading through the latest GX article, I'm a little worried... The description of how to declare animations is all wrong. (It's Animation, not Image, guys.)

Ren

#132 Post by Ren »

You mean there's no way i could write éòàùì?
I'm not sure i'd like to read through a game written like a sms T_T
I wonder if they'll show some more games as well, that'd be even cooler!

Oh, and i thought you might want to see the cover*spots the little "Renpy" on it* http://www.hobbymedia.it/

Jake
Support Hero

#133 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:It strikes me that this would count as notability for anyone who want to make a Wikipedia article about Ren'Py...
Well, I'd have thought it would be more than enough, but the levels Wikipedia takes notability to leave a bad taste in my mouth. The proposed guideline for software notability is rather strict, though. I'd say Ren'Py more or less meets the first criterion (estimating GX to be halfway between 'local newspaper/e-zine' and 'reputed technical magazine' for the sake of the argument), and nearly-meets 2 - I'd say it's significant, but I don't know of any independent reliable sources that can tell me this.

(URL for software notability guideline is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... (software)
- PHPBB doesn't seem to want to mark it up 'cause it's got parentheses in it... :/)

It easily fails 3 (unless there's something you're not telling us, PyTom?), fails 4 unless I'm unaware of something, fails 5... and I somehow doubt, that if it came down to a debate, Blue Lemma's comparison document would be considered good enough for 6. As much as I dislike the concept, for the sake of not getting embroiled in lengthy 'discussions' I'd prefer to hold off on writing anything 'til I can feel comfortable that Ren'Py satisfies at least one of those wholly and absolutely.

That said, for the purposes of citation, it'd be good to have the issue numbers, possibly dates of publication. From the cover image there, and given that Ren provided the second part of the article in question, would it be "GX magazine, issues 19 and 20 (and possibly 21), published by HobbyMedia, Italy"?
PyTom wrote:I was also fooling around with a new web-corners javascript, Nifty Corners.
It gets the buttons right, automatically, which is something I like.
It's close, but not quite there in Opera - IE seems to exhibit the same problem. :/

Ren

#134 Post by Ren »

Yup, you're right, issue 19(may/june) and issue 20(july/august).
The Magazine gets published every two months and is distributed in all Italy and it used to have some kind of affiliation with Hobibox...

Piroshiki
Regular

#135 Post by Piroshiki »

Here is the more 'businesslike' version of Eileen I mentionned last time. Her clothes are much closer to what she's wearing in the demo. She also regained her original hair colour, with the straight-ish hairstyle of the lower-right expression from the first design sheet. Also with it is the first, more casual design with the proposed improvements. Comments? Suggestions? Should I use one of those or should I do some more?

And I'm afraid the comic got nuked out from the face of the planet, unless someone has it saved somewhere... it seems I only have the script and storyboard left.
Attachments
eileen2.jpg
Eileen, prise deux.
(33.57 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
eileen3.jpg
Improved first design
(34.9 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
I'm not a meat bun ~nya