Fighting demons and personal demons "Demo" of sorts

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Weakjounin
Veteran

Fighting demons and personal demons "Demo" of sorts

#1 Post by Weakjounin »

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?xsv9cjmbksdmpcd
in case people are too lazy to scroll down

So one day during the summer holidays I thought to myself, I want to make a visual novel. Then when I got back to school and told my friends about my ideas, which are based off my wandering mind in class. They liked the idea, so we started working on a visual novel together. We've started writing the script and I've started the art.
Unfortunately I'm not a great artist, but I'm the best my circle of friends has to offer.
I'll post pics later, but the gist of the story is some kids fight demons and angels blah blah blah. But that's just background, I want my novel to be a character study, to really capture the emotional side of things and explore different emotions, different reactions and characters colliding.
Well, I've talked a lot without showing any real evidence that I'm actually doing anything so here's a picture:
FINALLY.png
unfortunately I couldn't access the original picture since I saved it all on the script writer's laptop, but it's an idea of what one of the characters look like.
I'm okay with any criticism or ideas that can help me. :D
Once again, I'm not a great artist, since I slacked off 3/4 of my life and just did other things, now that I'm drawing again, it feels weird.
so, I'll update this post with info as we get working.
Oh yeah currently there are over 36 characters. All from my daydreams :P

LET THE RAMBLING ABOUT TEH STORY BEGIN!
This story takes place on earth. One of the 5 realms. Each realm is designed to keep balance of souls in the universe. Well except the fifth realm which is basically like a library where they monitor everything. So Earth is the processing of souls before it gets sent either to "heaven" or "hell" to be used (depending on the soul's choices therefore tainting it either "good" or "evil") Then after the soul gets used its sent to be cleansed before it gets processed again and that takes place in a realm called "purgatory" the fifth realm was "event horizon" but that's beside the point.
Anyways each realm has an individual lord. Lucifer for Hell, God for Heaven, (Un-named man) for Earth and Thanatos for Purgatory. Also an old looking guy for event horizon but once again that's irrelevant. (or is it?)
So around 2000 years prior to the time that my vn takes place, the lord of Earth dies and the angels and demons see this as a chance to disrupt the flow of souls and harvest the souls directly. Of course, God and Lucifer were like NO! but the demons and angels overpowered them as God and Lucifer had to split their energy to also maintain earth before a new lord was found.
Fast forward to the present in VN time, Demons and Angels control various major cities and those are the churning points of souls.
BUT there's one city that appears to be like all the other demon owned cities except for one thing. The victims usually recover after a year. There are detectives trying to find out what happened. Strange reports of kids with powers. Is this a special city?
Anyways there's gonna be more in depth stuff later.
The picture of the girl on top is Evelyn, who's a tsundere (I know that's lazy on my part, but trust me. There's more to her than just "tsundere")
Also her father shot himself.
I have a test now, but when I get more free time I'll clean stuff up and try to make this wall of text more entertaining
Last edited by Weakjounin on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 am, edited 7 times in total.

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

Re: Our Game:D [Title Pending]

#2 Post by MusicaFate »

LOL! That sounds totally interesting xD I want more details please. owo and be careful, 36 characters is alot... meaning alot of personalities to write down, draw, and scripting.... hurrah ~ good luck.
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

Weakjounin
Veteran

Re: Our Game:D [Title Pending]

#3 Post by Weakjounin »

Well, this story came from an idea. This idea was due to me watching 50 animes non stop during the summer. I suddenly realized that I began to watch characters more than stories most of the time. (maybe it was evangelion's influence. Bah! who knows?) Anyways, it's been decided that there will be some mind scarring and emotional breakdown for characters, we haven't gotten much planned yet. This is because a lot of the universe exists within my head and my friends aren't mind readers. (And we also have tests this week)
We're gonna have some standard personality types like Tsunderes Imoutos, etc. But we're also researching psychology and stuff, just for this game. (mind you, we're only 15 year old guys, so the mindset of a girl is foreign territory. Also we by no means have degrees in psychology so yeah...)
36 Characters is not the final number, I may decide to add more when I feel like it, and not all characters will have the same significance in this first game. If needs be, I will make other games to cover the characters that were not fit into the character study that is the first game
Sorry for the wall of text.
Also anybody know any site that I can upload pics on?
Because I personally hate walls of text (makes me sleepy) Here's a pic that I found lying on my computer
CI Eric.png
He's a character in the game :D
(I'm a guy who prefers drawing guys cause guys are so damn sexy. Also I'm not gay)

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

Re: Our Game:D [Title Pending]2 pics and some minor info :D

#4 Post by MusicaFate »

Try deviantart or photobucket? Deviantart is way better though O:
Nice art bro. Well anyways, I hope you start making a legit plot~ Ahhh yes animes are always good inspiration to make stories :3 also, every day life is too~ People are...LOL everything is.

Psychology? Research? Hmm? xD Best of luck with that, it might take a while~ This project might take years so O" be prepared for the worst, best of what ever.
Oh and good luck with your tests?

Well anyways good luck, I look forward to your finished product~
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

Liz

Re: Our Game:D [Title Pending]2 pics and some minor info :D

#5 Post by Liz »

I personally use http://imageshack.us/ but whatever floats your boat.
I like the art it's pretty and I have a soft spot for pretty things!
36 characters sounds hard to handle. I hope you'll cope! :D

- ♥ Liz.
Liz Likes To Write :)
NEED A WRITER?
PM ME ♥

Weakjounin
Veteran

Re: Fighting angels, demons and personal demons [INFO DUMP]

#6 Post by Weakjounin »

I do have a deviantart account, but I haven't touched it in a while, I guess now's a good time to go revive it?
and by "research" I really just meant reading up on different things on the internet and basing things on people I know and kind of merging things.
Having a lot of characters sounds hard to handle, but life has a lot of people so you know.. :D
Chloe.png
The story I have planned out so far is basically about the angels and demons rebelling agains the individual lords of their realms. They try to disrupt the flow of "souls" and take all the power for themselves. Or something along those lines (I'm not great at explaining)
Oh yeah a few more things:
What size should I make the game? the dimensions I mean? I feel 800x600 is too small and looks bad when shrunk, and I'm not really experienced with these things. Like I don't know if I should make it wife screen like 1920x1080
I'm also gonna keep redrawing and redrawing my characters because frankly I suck at drawing emotions and hands and feet and girls and everything in general.
Just a friendly bump to say there's more info in the first post now
Last edited by Weakjounin on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#7 Post by Omnificent »

Over 36 characters sounds pretty ambitious, man. Keep in mind that you're probably going to have to sprite a lot of them, and how long the game'd have to be to fit them all in. If you're planning on doing paths then I recommend keeping them to like four/five characters max, especially for a first game.

If you're still set on the 36 characters thing though, I think it'd be cool to release this game in chapters. Kind of like an episodic thing. It would also make things easier to manage.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Weakjounin
Veteran

#8 Post by Weakjounin »

:D here's the thing. I said over 36 characters. That was a lie on my part.
I meant 36 people drawn.
The main cast is a lot less. I've decided to create side stories about other characters and their point of views, but this story will concentrate on the main character and the school side of things
I have other characters like detectives shop keepers who will do their own thing (I wont go into their characters too much in this game, maybe on a side story)
I DEMAND MOAR RANDOM CHARACTERS FROM THE GAME THAT I HAVE DRAWN :
Zoe Blush.png
ooh it's Zoe this time :3

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#9 Post by Elze »

The art looks pretty good so don't put yourself down for it C:
36 characters drawn? That sounds.. like a crazy amount of work. Have you guys considered trying to release a smaller game with fewer characters first? So that you can have a grasp of the time it takes to finish a VN. Otherwise, there's a high chance you guys will just give up somewhere in the middle, and all that effort would go down the drain.

Weakjounin
Veteran

#10 Post by Weakjounin »

I'm very well known to give up on things halfway through, but we'll probably finish this because russian people are hard workers

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#11 Post by Death_HUG »

Wow, 36 people XD That's a lot of people to draw >.< The story sounds interesting! I hope you can finish this project! :3

Weakjounin
Veteran

Re: Fighting angels, demons and personal demons "Demo" of so

#12 Post by Weakjounin »

Here's a "demo" http://www.mediafire.com/?xsv9cjmbksdmpcd
the background has all been blacked out because I didn't draw them, and as such decided not to use those backgrounds, I will draw them shortly. Writing is not final, we will make changes every so often, but this is the gist of it. The art is not final either, but some pieces may be final. I am considering to make a choice for a female main character, but I would have to design another set of characters because i dont want to re use themes just in another gender. We have also decided to change the plan of doing things. We're gonna have a short first chapter that's released to see how people respond before we continue into the thick and juicy bits of the story. not saying the first part will be dry, there will still be things going on, but the emotions and relations build up thorugh time, so the first part wont have as much trauma in it.
oh and if anyone knows how to fix the button problem when you go to preferences, please inform me :D
thanks

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#13 Post by Tag- »

Wow I'm surprised you got this done so quickly, especially with the number of cast you've decided upon. I'm currently downloading the demo now, I'll let you know my thoughts on it once I've played it through :D
PM me if needed

Weakjounin
Veteran

#14 Post by Weakjounin »

It's not really a demo, it's what we've done so far :P
and we haven't introduced that many of the cast, don't be so impressed

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#15 Post by Tag- »

Okay, I finished playing it, and from what I can see, there's nothing wrong with the art (I like Zoe's design best, hehe). I really like your art, it's so cute and clean :D . I'm a bit confused about their clothes, (for example, why is Evelyn wearing normal clothes when they're going to school?) or will this issue be addressed when you've drawn more?
Haha, I found it funny when Sarah overreacted so much at Evelyn falling on her :lol: Looks like she has a bit of a brother complex...
The main problem I'm seeing at the moment is your script. There are a few punctuation mistakes and typos, but more noticeable are your grammar mistakes, you might want an editor to look over them. At the moment they make it slightly awkward to read.
Some examples are:
"Sarah, your sister comes into the room." should be: "Your sister, Sarah, comes into the room."

"Besides me actually being smart..." could be: "Besides the fact that I am actually smart..."

"Well, since you're so smart then, why don't you show us the way you're so sure of?" should be: "Well, since you're so smart, why don't you show us the way that you seem to be so sure of?"

"Let's go Sarah?" - If you're asking a question, it should be, "Shall we go, Sarah?" If not, it's simply, "Let's go, Sarah."
A little tip: It is advisable to only use one "!" or "?" in your writing, it just makes your writing look neater and nicer to read.

Okay I'm done.
agfjkadaj I am so, so sorry if I appear to be too harsh or mean >< It wasn't my intention at all D:
PM me if needed