End to the story

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

End to the story

#1 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Okay, I know there are two threads about endings going on now but I didn't want to high-jack their threads and my question is a bit different as well. What do you think about endings where the protagonist dies? I know those are usually known as bad endings but I'm thinking that doesn't have to be. I mean, if the hero\heroine dies protecting those they love and or the rest of the world, I would call that a good ending. What do you all think? Have you ever played a game with this type of ending and was it a good experience or not?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: End to the story

#2 Post by Camille »

In Persona 3,
the protagonist goes through a lot of crap, works really hard, makes lots of strong friendships/relationships, and in the end has to sacrifice himself (or herself in P3P) in order to save the world. This is the true ending. In the other ending, *everybody* dies. :|
Honestly, it's just really disappointing. I can take main character death in books and movies, but you get much more attached to videogame main characters since you play as them for so long. If their death is the *only* possible ending or happens in all of the endings, I think it's just really a negative message and this sort of thing tends to make me angry.

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#3 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Oh I agree completely. That or when you're supposed to save another person or protect them, and through out the game you go through extremes and even fighting all types of nastys to keep this person alive and they still die at the very end.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#4 Post by Alera »

I personally have no problem in it- if it's logical. If this death has a real meaning. Depends on the whole story. True you get a lot more attached to a character in games, especially if you play as them. So it kind of...hurts more and a lot if they die. But sometimes- this could be used- this flow of feelings the player feels in the end, could be used to...to...I don't think I could properly explain what I mean, but...hmm...Anyway~
I'll cry forever for Zack. QAQ (FF7)
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#5 Post by Mink »

If it's a logical conclusion and works, sure, go for it.

But don't be like the game Alice is Dead:
Basically, your character dies in a totally pointless, out-of-nowhere way that only came across as a failed attempt to be shocking.
Not a bad game, really, but that ending? Come on. Yes, I have an example for nearly everything.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#6 Post by Meatpie »

Camille wrote:In Persona 3,
the protagonist goes through a lot of crap, works really hard, makes lots of strong friendships/relationships, and in the end has to sacrifice himself (or herself in P3P) in order to save the world. This is the true ending. In the other ending, *everybody* dies. :|
Honestly, it's just really disappointing. I can take main character death in books and movies, but you get much more attached to videogame main characters since you play as them for so long. If their death is the *only* possible ending or happens in all of the endings, I think it's just really a negative message and this sort of thing tends to make me angry.

Good work spoiling Persona 3 for a whole bunch of people.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#7 Post by Camille »

Meatpie wrote:Good work spoiling Persona 3 for a whole bunch of people.
The game's been out for almost half a decade and I put it behind a spoiler tag. I notice you didn't say anything about Mink ~spoiling~ "Alice is Dead".

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I actually thought that spoiler about P3P was already a given :/ I already knew it even before playing the game(P3P, i do research first before i play games, luckily they released the portable ver. when I've made my resolve)---and it doesn't really change the fact that I still had fun playing the game. Besides like camille said, it was on spoiler. You can't blame her if you got spoiled and be noted that this thread asks how you've felt at that time, meaning the moment she mentioned P3P it was already a given that the main character died there.

Anyways, I also agree with Camille btw, about P3P. But I think it was a quite satisfactory, and not really disappointing though.
It was satisfactory cause it gave birth to the sequel //shot Aigis was quite boring but became well developed in the sequel as the heroine.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#9 Post by Gear »

If the death is noble, necessary, and falls in line with the character's traits and personality, then I think it can work very well. If the player has had a lot of time to bond with the character, and the character is non-abrasive and very likable, I think it elicits something of a powerful emotional response that can be negative, but I think is more commonly positive. If you've created a character whose death actually affects the player, then you've created something noteworthy and powerful. It's certainly something most writers strive for.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

bunny-gypsy
Regular

#10 Post by bunny-gypsy »

Ugh, hate that kind of ending and I would avoid those like the plague. (Like I said in the other ending thread, I am very easily depressed in real life
and I like to escape in my entertainment.)
Trying out different things and learning Ren'py and Python programming. =)

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran

#11 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Most people would probably see that kind of ending as a bad ending. It would be difficult to show it in a positive light, in a way that the player can except it. I think it can be done though even the right story. Although it may be a better idea to just have the protagonist badly wouldn't. Maybe something like if they were an adventurer, they would no longer be able to do that and have to settle down to a life at home. Or if they had super powers maybe they lose them for good.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#12 Post by YonYonYon »

I liked Maho Shojo Madoka Magika's ending.
She turned into a goddess, but technically she's dead.
ImageImage

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#13 Post by TsukiShima »

YonYonYon wrote:I liked Maho Shojo Madoka Magika's ending.
She turned into a goddess, but technically she's dead.
Trust me, that, was a bitter sweet ending. It was a sad yet happy one. But the deeper message can really be apply in reality.
A little out of topic but
they revealed that the writer of Madoka plans to make a season 2! Well, plans to, atleast.
Truly sorry but I'm a big fan.

Anyway, back to the topic, I guess I don't really mind, in some certain stories, if the main character dies. But I guess we do find it normal that things turn out more peacefully if they do sacrifice themselves. But I'm sure some of them won't be satisfied, somewhat hoping they would survived instead.
Beside some characters are remembered due to the way of their death. I don't really know some examples I can put, but, maybe, Ano Hana?

Well, I must say in the end it depends on the story too. And the character, and whether the character already achieve their role fully.
OtomeWeekend wrote:Anyways, I also agree with Camille btw, about P3P. But I think it was a quite satisfactory, and not really disappointing though.
It was satisfactory cause it gave birth to the sequel //shot Aigis was quite boring but became well developed in the sequel as the heroine.
But the atmosphere in P3 FES was so sad ;A; I couldn't stop myself from crying when I knew he died, and Aigis being so sad, and the group was breaking up! No one would ever blame Aigis, but the ending for it was still good. ;__;b

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#14 Post by Gear »

I think that if the epilogue focuses on all the good the character's death/sacrifice caused, it would be a bittersweet ending. I do believe players would see this as a necessity, and I think would give an emotional response to it if done properly. I honestly would find that to be a better ending than a so-called 'happy' one.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Crusher
Regular

#15 Post by Crusher »

Honestly? I think good endings are boring. I can't think of any good ending that I actually like. Mostly because there's nothing surprising in it. Bad/sad endings have much more room to be different. Things can be left unanswered and things can go to the least expected direction. The classical "hero dies for others" sad ending has much more room for some final words that you won't forget than a marriage with his favorite girl. Plus I really like it when I see the credits with some tears in my eyes.