Shading Suggestions?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

Shading Suggestions?

#1 Post by Vegeluxia »

Hello! I’m wondering if anyone would mind suggesting better ways I could go about shading on the hair of this character. I’ve done it three different ways so far but I’m not 100% pleased with any of them. I’m thinking the last one might be alright if I blended in that highlight better…

And her face is by no means finished. I still have to blend the shading and fix one of her eyes... and some other things. :'D
Attachments
The first, the second, and then a combination of the two.
The first, the second, and then a combination of the two.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: Shading Suggestions?

#2 Post by Deji »

I personally think the one that looks best from your examples is the first one, because it's the simplest :) I'd change the highlight color, though, it seems a bit too gray.

The other examples need more polishing, and you're right about the highlight not being blended enough on the third example.

When I don't know how to shade something, or I want to try something different, I look at how the artists I like do their coloring. Every now and then, I grab pictures of them and try to color they way they color, to learn new things and improve my own work (: Maybe it could help you too if you tried something like that?
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Shading Suggestions?

#3 Post by TsukiShima »

To be honest, I got better at shading things with the method that was mention by Deji-senpai. I do like the 3rd shading, but I guess it also depends on the situation.

Maybe this can help, if you never saw it yet, but I still used it to improve as well. http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art ... -184642625