Question about engines

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: Question about engines

#16 Post by Wright1000 »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: They meant the know their engine better not that they know their engine IS better. All they are saying is that they are more familiar with it.
Thank you for making it clear. Looks like my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

And it's they know, not the know. At least, my eyes haven't betrayed me completely.
Last edited by Wright1000 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#17 Post by Junker-Kun »

Wright1000 wrote:But I'll appreciate it if you show your engine and let the public decide that.
I'll show engine when I'll have something to show (I mean when I'm done with the game). And if people will say it's a piece of well known brown substance... well, then I'll just use RenPy =)
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#18 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Junker-Kun wrote:
Wright1000 wrote:But I'll appreciate it if you show your engine and let the public decide that.
I'll show engine when I'll have something to show (I mean when I'm done with the game). And if people will say it's a piece of well known brown substance... well, then I'll just use RenPy =)
Don't mind him.

If you honestly feel more comfortable with your own engine, go for it. It doesn't really matter what others think of it. You should always do what you feel is best for you regardless of what others say. And there is no reason you can't use Ren'py as well as your own engine at some point. No one said you could ever only use one engine. Experimentation can probably teach you a lot.

Junker-Kun
Regular

#19 Post by Junker-Kun »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:No one said you could ever only use one engine. Experimentation can probably teach you a lot.
True. Well, I still have a lot of time to think about things =) Thanks.

Frederica Bernkastel

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#20 Post by jack_norton »

Junker-Kun wrote:
jack_norton wrote:The problem here is that the user wants for free something rather unique... He said that the HTML5 gamemaker is not free... ok but is what, $99? or even $199? doesn't seem a big price to pay to have your game run EVERYWHERE (since now HTML5 really runs everywhere). I understand he probably does it as hobby, but even hobbies have some costs, no? :)
Hobbies do have some cost but it was enough for me to buy standart version of Game Maker when there was 6'th version and then just buy new version every time it comes out. And yes I bought 8'th version before 8'th version for Mac and HTML5 even existed. I don't really know how much is $199 for you but here it's about 6500 Rubles. I can buy a new mobile phone with that! Or four (4!)new video games. For PS3 (they costs about 1500-2000 here). So, yeah, considering I'm a student it's quite a high price for my wallet.
Ah I see. Well you might want to look at Monkey (though probably is more difficult than gamemaker) since comes with a free HTML5 exporter: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#21 Post by fleet »

jack_norton wrote:The problem here is that the user wants for free something rather unique... He said that the HTML5 gamemaker is not free... ok but is what, $99? or even $199? doesn't seem a big price to pay to have your game run EVERYWHERE (since now HTML5 really runs everywhere). I understand he probably does it as hobby, but even hobbies have some costs, no? :)
Tlaero has created a free program to create html visual novels. Here's a link https://rapidshare.com/files/3328025728 ... reator.zip The program works on Windows OS, but the html games will work on any thing that runs html.

The zip file contains a short 'game' as an example and a tutorial.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Junker-Kun
Regular

#22 Post by Junker-Kun »

jack_norton wrote:Ah I see. Well you might want to look at Monkey (though probably is more difficult than gamemaker) since comes with a free HTML5 exporter: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz
Nah, I probably should just make engine with C++ since I know how to. I work with Game Maker only because it provides easy framework and does all work with DirectX.

Frederica Bernkastel

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#23 Post by LVUER »

Junker-Kun wrote:Hobbies do have some cost but it was enough for me to buy standart version of Game Maker when there was 6'th version and then just buy new version every time it comes out. And yes I bought 8'th version before 8'th version for Mac and HTML5 even existed. I don't really know how much is $199 for you but here it's about 6500 Rubles. I can buy a new mobile phone with that! Or four (4!)new video games. For PS3 (they costs about 1500-2000 here). So, yeah, considering I'm a student it's quite a high price for my wallet.
If you follow their journal/news closely, you'll notice they often give (limited time) free upgrades for those who bought the previous version. Just like when they offered free upgrades from version 7 to 8 and 8 to 8.1. That way you don't have to re-buy GM every time a new version is released.

Of course this is not applied to HTML5 since it's a completely brand new series... Personally, I will wait for GM Studio since it's GM Standard and HTML5 in one package.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#24 Post by Cidz »

Think about all you want to do with your game. and then decide which engine is best for that. I at first was going to go with Novelty and i'm still much more familiar with novelty then i am with ren'py but in the end novelty couldn't do a couple things i really wanted to include in the game so i went with renpy.

So if your engine can do everything you want it to and you feel comfortable with it go for it.

Junker-Kun
Regular

#25 Post by Junker-Kun »

LVUER wrote: If you follow their journal/news closely, you'll notice they often give (limited time) free upgrades for those who bought the previous version. Just like when they offered free upgrades from version 7 to 8 and 8 to 8.1. That way you don't have to re-buy GM every time a new version is released.
Damn it! Where were you when I bought 7 and 8? =)
So if your engine can do everything you want it to and you feel comfortable with it go for it.
I think the most comfortable thing here is that I can change anything in my engine. From defaul sprites to every single script code. But for now, yes, it can do everything I need.

Frederica Bernkastel

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#26 Post by Wright1000 »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:
Junker-Kun wrote:
Don't mind him.
You thought I was serious?
I don't know what your problem is, but I have a feeling that it's hard to pronounce.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#27 Post by papillon »

I'm still trying to decide whether I should get the html5 thing and try to convert some of my older GM games for the web... I probably should, I just don't want to burn up too much time that I could be using on new stuff instead. :)

(My first two visual novels were in GM! But I wouldn't pick it now unless I was planning to use some really complicated gameplay. If I were doing a racing/VN hybrid, that would be different...)

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#28 Post by HikkiPanda »

Junker-kun, I still suggest you use the existing game engine instead of making one yourself ... I'm saying this because you're trying to make one with C++, that's one evil and dangerous program >.<.
Wright1000 wrote:You thought I was serious?
I don't know what your problem is, but I have a feeling that it's hard to pronounce.
calm down dude ... .

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#29 Post by LVUER »

@papillon:
Right now, GM HTML5 (beta) is only $99 (instead of the full price of $199). And I'm pretty sure for those who bought the beta version could get the full version for free.

Also, YoYoGames said those who bought GM HTML5 (beta) could get GM Studio with at least $99 discounts. With this, I think I'm going to buy GM HTML5 (beta) now.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Wright1000 »

HikkiPanda wrote:Junker-kun, I still suggest you use the existing game engine instead of making one yourself ... I'm saying this because you're trying to make one with C++, that's one evil and dangerous program >.<.
Wright1000 wrote:You thought I was serious?
calm down dude ... .
Thanks for your concern, but I don't need it.