Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play

#16 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Hello cosmo! Sorry for not following this thread.
Sooo, the reason I don't like wayang isn't that bcoz it's traditional. It just makes me sleepy. I like the dance of Rama Sinta that was held in Jogjakarta, and I've played traditional instruments (now I just play piano). But I'm not really used of seeing Indonesian traditional works as I'm a Chinese Indonesian (Chinese that born or live in Indonesia)
But I can help u with the myths, and some knowledge about wayang kulit. And it's true that wayang is a hard performance. I heard that wayang golek weight is really heavy.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

#17 Post by cosmo »

JustAnotherMe wrote:Hello cosmo! Sorry for not following this thread.
Sooo, the reason I don't like wayang isn't that bcoz it's traditional. It just makes me sleepy. I like the dance of Rama Sinta that was held in Jogjakarta, and I've played traditional instruments (now I just play piano). But I'm not really used of seeing Indonesian traditional works as I'm a Chinese Indonesian (Chinese that born or live in Indonesia)
But I can help u with the myths, and some knowledge about wayang kulit. And it's true that wayang is a hard performance. I heard that wayang golek weight is really heavy.
Hi!

Thank you very much for responding! :)
Maybe I found a youtube clip about that dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1NnwuFEmQ

I would not be able to emulate such a skillful art! But with Ren'Py there are some other possibilities (I was thinking about such things above) and I hope I will be able to keep the interest. :) I don't know if you tried the story… I begin also very slow I think. Let's see: In special situations (like fights) I do not want the audience of the game to sleep!! :D I will try to do something against that! ;)

I hope the story will be universal in the end. Not only for…Sundanese… Javanese or other Indonesian people, but for Germans, Americans, Japanese as well :)

What instrument did you learn? Gamelan?
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#18 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I'm using mac now, don't want to download any game here. I'll download ur game when i use my windows.
It's hard to open my eyes when it become really slow or taking a long time for a scene. Maybe u can improve d way of wayang performance? It'd b great! I like the dimension too, I've tried making a vid using my own self-crazy-created-paper-wayang... which turned out to b a disaster :oops:
I'm amazed how u, as a foreigner, love wayang when i myself doesn't really appreciate it. *shame on me*
I played angklung and gamelan. It's really easy!
0.3 second lunch

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play [currently PROOFREADER need

#19 Post by LVUER »

This is my personal answer of your question... but I think this will be more or less represent young people generation of my country. You could say I (we) don't love it but I (we) don't hate it either.

Q: Is it because it is traditional?
A: Perhaps. I mean even it's modern, there's not a thing that everyone would like. No matter how good a thing is, there's always someone who hate it. Furthermore if it's traditional (not that it's bad... well, you know what I mean).

Q: Is it because you don't like the music?
A: Perhaps... although I never see Wayang Kulit accompanied with pop or rock music. I wonder if they do, will that modern Wayang Kulit be better recognized?

Q: Is it just a personal thing because of special memories?
A: I don't know about this one... Perhaps it's because we're not exposed enough of it when we're young? There's a saying in my country, "You don't know it then you won't love it". To love a certain thing you need to at least know it first. Lots of (young) people here don't watch many Wayang Kulit so obviously, they won't love it.

Q: Is it because you just love different things currently??
A: It's possible to love several things at once you know... so I don't think that this is not the case.

Q: Is it because the stories are not what you like? / Or the festivals? / Or the people you have been together with during a play??
A: Story... perhaps... I mean as a person who's long exposed to Hollywood and Anime's kind of story, Wayang Story is... well, not exactly my type... not that I've ever truly try to enjoy it though... But I don't think this have any connection with the festivals or the people.

-----------------------
I don't know why, but there's a saying "Neighbors' field will always be greener" or something like that (I don't know the exact saying in English). It's VERY true, you know. Lots of people want to go and move abroad (hoping to get a better life), sometimes without realizing the goodness of their own country.

It's the same thing with traditional culture (like Wayang Kulit or any other country's traditional). People doesn't like much their own traditional culture (perhaps due to long exposure to those) while they love other countries' culture more than their own. It happens everywhere. So it's people from OTHER country that actually loves more your own traditional culture...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#20 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Yeap LVUER! That's right!! I might find another country's culture amazing, but doesn't really think of anything about our own. :lol: I was playing gamelan and getting to know wayang when I'm on a field trip, but (maybe just for me) I like how the way of wayang made into a vid (with some editing of course). I like Indonesian music, but it's making me fed up with the repetition of the same beat, the same sound, u know what it's like. ^_^ Aaaaannnddd the singer usually an old woman or old man...
And maybe it's just not because it's traditional. But it's OLD. Doesn't CHANGE. And thus we got bored easily (and with those Holywood and anime? So right!)
But I still think that if someone can make wayang to a different level, we could love it *a bit* :D
0.3 second lunch

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#21 Post by Mink »

LVUER, I think what you're looking for is 'the grass is greener on the other side (of the fence)". >x>

Anyways, this sounds interesting to me, possibly because I'm American and I think everything other than my country is interesting (except maybe some specific events, like General Sherman's march). I'm going to have to play the demo.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

cosmo
Regular

#22 Post by cosmo »

Hi! I'm just popping in … and want to say thank you! :)
I will answer the thread later as I am currently on the run now… It's nice to hear from you! :)

This is the current status and work:
Biggest thing to do is: Story development for the next episode of the plot.

Done so far:
* Background graphics improvements (the valley) - added and worked on minor details.
* working on the existing text with some help and ideas actually. – If I get a new version of the text ready I will upload a bugfix version that fixes minor flaws. It will also change some words, but not the story. A re-download will not be necessary.
* Thinking about some sound ideas. It's not ready.
* I'd like very much to improve the ornamental village! I don't like the current state it's in…
* Improved the ornamental hermitage. It looks more complete now :)

I am highly interested in your own opinion on the demo – but also on Wayang Kulit/shadow play and a look on it in general with eyes of today! :o)
I always love to hear from you! Also via PM if you prefer.

cosmo
Regular

#23 Post by cosmo »

JustAnotherMe wrote:I'm amazed how u, as a foreigner, love wayang when i myself doesn't really appreciate it. *shame on me*
I played angklung and gamelan. It's really easy!
It might be that I have another view on it. :) – It's not that I can't comprehend what you said above: There are lot's of traditions in my country that I do not have a positive connection with. :D … And even made by a stranger will make it somehow different… I don't know the end result now by myself ;) – But, you know what? A Ren'Py game just won't be a normal Wayang Kulit :D I will try to work on the story and details to make it better!
LVUER wrote:This is my personal answer of your question... but I think this will be more or less represent young people generation of my country.

I don't know why, but there's a saying "Neighbors' field will always be greener" or something like that (I don't know the exact saying in English). It's VERY true, you know. Lots of people want to go and move abroad (hoping to get a better life), sometimes without realizing the goodness of their own country.

It's the same thing with traditional culture (like Wayang Kulit or any other country's traditional). People doesn't like much their own traditional culture (perhaps due to long exposure to those) while they love other countries' culture more than their own. It happens everywhere. So it's people from OTHER country that actually loves more your own traditional culture...
LVUER, thanks for your personal answer!
He, he… The thing I like in this very much is that it is always nice to learn from others… To have an open mind for new ideas and ideas of others!
JustAnotherMe wrote:Yeap LVUER! […] And thus we got bored easily (and with those Holywood and anime? So right!)
I still am very keen on that animation movie in Wayang Kulit style… it doesn't seem to be well known?
Mink wrote:Anyways, this sounds interesting to me, possibly because I'm American and I think everything other than my country is interesting (except maybe some specific events, like General Sherman's march). I'm going to have to play the demo.
Yay! :) I am happy about it, Mink! :) Sorry for the late reply! :)

During the last two days I worked on an article for a German magazine about Ren'Py and wasn't able to make progress. I hope I can steal some hours during the week to continue the work on this! :)

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#24 Post by tuna_sushi »

I didnt know there's lots of indonesian people here in lsf.... I got surprised when some people are :o :o :o :o
I think there's some people that write their location after seeing this topic... (maybe)

(Ugh... grammar mistakes, my mortal enemy....)

cosmo
Regular

#25 Post by cosmo »

tuna_sushi wrote:I didnt know there's lots of indonesian people here in lsf.... I got surprised when some people are :o :o :o :o
I think there's some people that write their location after seeing this topic... (maybe)
Hi tuna_sushi!

Be welcome with this wish! :)

I found out until now that Wayang Kulit is played in Indonesia, Malaysia and Cambodia …
Any other countries you know of?

Is there anyone here from Cambodia as well? :) … just curious and asking :) !

Current state of things:
* As stated before I overworked the valley and several small details.
* worked on the story

Current plan:
* Adding at least one new scenery as a background - more likely three or four.
* I am about to decide if I will turn this story from a kinetic state into a game play.

Of course a game play will need much more effort. – Additional to the background works.

I think I needed around maybe 6-8 weeks for the valley background (current state) so far. It is likely that I will need a comparable time for each additional scenery. - But only if I will be able to invest the same amount of time…

Currently not easy to decide… I think I will try to split the work into smaller steps… I really would love to reach more often states when I can release. – But on the other hand I don't want to make my audience to download stuff too often…! Maybe some comments from you could help me with this? Or maybe some beta-testers? – I feel that every release might push the production.

So the question is: What kind of advances do you at least expect that interests you enough download and to take a look at a work in progress or a full game?

If I will add game play I would love to add at least riddles … but maybe even some PyGame programming. PyGame pieces will need much more time as I never tried it before…

Thank you for your interest so far!
I would love to hear from you! :)

cosmo
Regular

#26 Post by cosmo »

Some updates:

I am currently working on some kind of game play for the next scene. There are several things to test before – and I hope that I am able to transform the ideas in a reasonable time and that I can do it this way with Ren'Py!

I will also work to change the attitude of the story in that scene. I hope to change the feel of the game. Maybe I will also need to overwork the current scene that I released as first "proof of concept" demo.
Currently overworking the characters – and also working on more animation of them.

A next release will be renamed, too. Maybe it will have something with "Budianto and … " in the title.

Ok. There would be much to say more ;) But it may be better to surprise you.

natsumachi
Regular
Completed: Re∞Birth [BL]
Projects: Ferfecir [BL]
Organization: Milky Cherry

#27 Post by natsumachi »

I just played the demo and find shadow play a very interesting concept for a VN. This sort of myth/maerchen type story is very interesting to me even if it's a kinetic novel. It looks like you'll do a very good job with it.

However, that small square in the centre of the screen confused me until I read the extras and realised it must be a candle? I think perhaps this is too distracting for the eye. The light effect is nicely done though.

I look forward to further instalments/finished game. :D

cosmo
Regular

#28 Post by cosmo »

natsumachi wrote:I just played the demo and find shadow play a very interesting concept for a VN. This sort of myth/maerchen type story is very interesting to me even if it's a kinetic novel. It looks like you'll do a very good job with it.

However, that small square in the centre of the screen confused me until I read the extras and realised it must be a candle? I think perhaps this is too distracting for the eye. The light effect is nicely done though.
Thank you very much, natsumachi! :)
I am working hard to get better. It's my first story with Ren'Py at all and I am curious by myself!

The square in the middle was indeed planned to be a candle. While I think now that flickering might have been a good idea – the candle square maybe wasn't! ;) Thank you: I think I will change it soon!!

Overworking the lightning situation is another thing that is planned. There may be situations with different lights. I think in the next episode as well… ;) I did not work on this though. It just exists as a rough idea. – Original performances seem to use oil lamps. But I have also seen where shows use some kind of laser light as background lightning. So I think that I am somehow free to use what I want :D … as long as I stay close enough to the genre "legend" (maerchen/myth)!
I look forward to further instalments/finished game. :D
It would be a huge pleasure for me if someone stays interested in this one and even plays further releases!! :)
Hey, that's cool! :)

All the best to you! – And thank you for the feedback!!

D'd'D
Regular
Completed: Memories
Projects: WoUC, Itsuki

#29 Post by D'd'D »

Whoa, I never thought that someone would make a VN out of Wayang Kulit..
I've played the demo and I'm very excited to see the continuation of the story. Good Luck making it!
I'm sorry I can't give you any useful feedback, but at least let me cheer for you!
It looks like you know more about Wayang compared to me.. I can't even remember the names anymore (except for Petruk and Semar), though I studied about it at elementary school.. I'm ashamed! :oops:
And I respect you for it! :D
Sorry, bad English..

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#30 Post by azureXtwilight »

You just hooked another Indonesian people. As a native whose culture is heavily influenced with wayang, I'm your stalker.