Tail-Tales Characters (Look this over please?)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
BADapple
Projects: Tail-Tales[Intros Only](60%) Tail-Tales[Full Game](20%)

Tail-Tales Characters (Look this over please?)

#1 Post by BADapple »

Okay… so, clearly I have a lot of work to do. I’m not justifying the previous picture, but it was merely for design of the characters, their color schemes, hair and clothes. I chose those pieces because they matched the height I wanted for the characters. So, I apologize if I made anyone angry.

AND, I’m here to offer proof that I can draw and want some feed-back on my own-works digital drawing. I've gone back and re-done the characters... though they still bear some similarities to the previous designs, mainly their colors and hair styles. The two pictures I have done are below. One is the pen-lined sketch that I made and scanned into my computer with help from Scarlet-onee (thank you!!) The second picture is the digital re-color from the sketch. All I have done right now is Kou, please take a look at him.

I know that the shading is off, since I had some problems trying to imagine a light source. I also think the shading in his eyes need a little work...
Attachments
Sketch of Jun and Ayama
Sketch of Jun and Ayama
Kou-The Fox
Kou-The Fox
Sketch
Sketch
Last edited by BADapple on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Tail-Tales Characters (Look this over please?)

#2 Post by 15385bic »

truthully i think the sketch is A LOT better than the colored pic which somewhat looks squished in

also - the lines should have varied thickness/thinness
different thickness to lines
different thickness to lines
flat colouring is fine but i dont think shadows fall like that across the face cos his hair doesnt stick out that much to leave such a defined shadow

BADapple

#3 Post by BADapple »

I had to scale down the colored picture because the file became too large when I added the different layers of coloring.... :/ How do you get the lines to do that? I don't have a tablet, and I use Paint.NET to color.

Scarlet-Kokoro
Regular
Projects: Imitation Heart(模倣心)-Otome For the Love of Cocoa-Short-Otome VN

#4 Post by Scarlet-Kokoro »

I agree, the sketch is better. But I know how hard it is to try to make the lines look flow-ish in Paint.NET. Save up to get a tablet and download Paint-tool SAI?
Anyway, I think it is a cute picture. I'd probably be able to make a beter analysis if you had the whole body done though...
"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?"

Projects:

Immitation Heart: Script: 40% Characters: 50% CGs: 0%
For the Love of Cocoa: In first draft stages

CosmicKitty
Regular
Projects: Patchwork Battles, Time Stones

#5 Post by CosmicKitty »

I only use a mouse, but i do lineart with SAI which allows you to change the pressure like you would with a tablet.

Drawing: looks pretty good, I don't really understand your hair lines, they don't look natural, but anime hair often doesn't. Think about how hair would lay before you draw it. I like to draw mine in layers starting at the bottom and erasing what wouldn't show, takes more time, but it looks natural.

Color: The coloring I really don't care for. It's all too light. Based on the face, the light source is on the bottom right which isn't really that common for a headshot, but it's possible, but you didn't use the same for the hair. The hair's not really shaded just a big block of white. Somewhere you need to use more color, doesn't have to be dark, just something with some kind of saturation to make the picture pop. Right now I look at the background before I look at your character :/ If you want some tutorials let me know.
Completed Games:
Holiday Hijinks: House on Haunted Hill
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=17849

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done,
we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change.
So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger,
but in wisdom, understanding and love.
Jennifer Edwards

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#6 Post by Stripe »

Just a quick question: any reason why you decided to do your 'sketch' with (what looks like) a biro?

BADapple

#7 Post by BADapple »

What's a biro? I was doodling during a boring lecture and drew Kou's head then... since my screen-name is BADapple I was experimenting with different little drawings to go with my name. The one next to the picture is what I came up with as an idea. It's a, you know, a bad apple? My avatar is an "bad apple"... I think I answered your question?

BADapple

#8 Post by BADapple »

Added a pencil-sketch of Jun and Ayama

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

When I saw the headline of your thread, my first thought was "ooh, someone drawing characters from my games?" as games which I produce in cooperation with others are released under the moniker "Tall Tales Productions". But then I saw that your title was "Tail-Tales", and the only thing that could have corresponded to was a game I never finished producing, "Foxtaile". However, your fox is named "Kou", mine was called "Koe" (aside from a vixen named Ojinko), so it's uncanny how these things work.

Very nice job, by the way. Nice ears. You should have been on the Pet Project.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira