Favorite Ren'Py novels!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Favorite Ren'Py novels!

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

(I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems like the most appropriate...)

I was curious as to what some of everyone's favorite games made by the Ren'Py engine are and why. What games were you just so in awe of the story? Are there some games you loved, but still working on getting all the endings? Are there any games you love so much you keep playing them over and over again?

For me, one of those games is RE:alistair. Once I start playing it, it's like I can't stop! I'll run through the whole game in just one day once I started (sometimes all the way through at once, or sometimes on and off throughout the day). I found this game to be REALLY fun to play and hope to find other visual novels like it sometime.

Another one I love is Fantasia: The Realm of Thanos. I'm still working on getting all the endings, but it's really fun, and I like how you get to choose who the protagonist will be with! (I chose Ian, 'cause if I were her, I probably would of chosen him. Just out of curiousity, I'm playing the other ones to learn more about them and see the other endings!)

And lastly, I love Frozen Essence. I only got one of fourteen endings so far (my friend, who I recommended it to, has played it all the way through and loved it!) I actually found the 'secret character' in my first run! <333

So how 'bout you guys? What are some of the awesome VNs you've found here you can just play again and again because it's so fun or well written?
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Favorite Ren'Py novels!

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Hmm....

Ori, Ochi, Onoe. Still one of my favorites, after such a long time.

This Cheap And Sacred Thing. Only Otome game so far I found truly engrossing.

Digital: A Love Story. An experience. Hard to describe it anyway else.

Gakuen Redux. Only Kineno from the LSF I found worthwhile. (Oh, another Mikey game, after O³, what a surprise.)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#3 Post by Snow Blossom »

Frozen Essence - the first otome game I've every played, and I loved every part of it. A well-blended, non-sappy mix of romance, mystery, and action.
Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - The art is unique and stylish, the interface is nifty, and the dialogue is HILARIOUS. Although it had no overarching focus, I found its lighthearted feel enjoyable and relaxing.
That's all I can think of right now, but I'll probably remember a few more later.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OtomeWeekend »

no. 1 in my list is (seconding Taleweaver) That Cheap and Sacred Thing. I'm a sucker for those kind of stories(and so why I love yuu watase's absolute boyfriend despite the sad ending TToTT)

no. 2 might be the Fantasia: Realm of Thanos. I really like the story of Oswald and cried over it(If you haven't noticed, I love VNs that make me cry and there are many of them especially commercial once).

and no. 3 is.... winterwolves games? I'm sorry. I love all the games jack made(the otome game ones even though I frustrate over the very few CGs in them which is fine than some overdose of them like heart no kuni) Q.Q *dies*
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#5 Post by Omnificent »

In no particular order:

1. Frozen Essence- I admired the sheer ambitious scope. Closest I've seen an OELVN come to trying to tackle Fate/stay night level epicness.

2. Katawa Shoujo, Act 1- One of the most professional projects-in-process I've seen, and I'm looking forward to the full release.

3. My Magical Cosplay Cafe- Hilarious with a unique visual style.

4. Enemy of the Solid State- I love every game bentosmile does, but this is my favorite.

5. Digital: A Love Story- Hacking your way to the truth.

6. The Thirteenth Year- Go read it already you punks

I honestly think that the OELVN community has a lot of potential to grow and even surpass big-budget projects from Japan. It's my dream to become part of that process. :P
Last edited by Omnificent on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Wow, Frozen Essence has lots of mention! Then again, it is a beautiful game!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Seven
Regular

#7 Post by Seven »

Mine is Fantasia: Realm of Thanos and Re:Alistair++
:)

PockieHoshi
Regular

#8 Post by PockieHoshi »

Definitely Frozen Essence,(p)lanets,the fantasia series and Re:Alistair++ :D.
There are probably more but can't think of them right now D:

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#9 Post by netravelr »

I personally loved "don't take it personally....", "Katawa Shoujo, Act 1", "The Flower Shop", "Jisei/Kansei" (Gameplay of Jisei, story of Kansei), and "Digital: A Love Story".
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#10 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Frozen Essence and Fantasia series. Now, I just don't know what ren'py novel I like the most because it's sooo many!!! (though it's not a ren'py, might as well include this just for the sake of me alone, I like X-note)
Edit: Oh! That Cheap and Sacred Thing too!! Rock Robin, Seraphine, and many, many moreeee XD
Last edited by JustAnotherMe on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

Frozen essence, obviously! :D It can show how games without rabu-rabu can rule! Also, X-note and cafe0~

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#12 Post by Aileo »

Absolute favorite Ren'Py game? Frozen Essence, followed very closely by That Cheap and Sacred Thing. Katawa Shoujo and the Fantasia games are really good as well.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#13 Post by MaiMai »

My favorite games are That Cheap and Sacred Thing, Ripples, and Katawa Shoujo. I choose these three first and foremost because they touched me in a different way than other games that have been mentioned in this thread have. I've played a few and I enjoyed them, but they aren't my absolute favorites (that or I still need to finish them)
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Alphonse
Regular

#14 Post by Alphonse »

Forget Me Not has a special place with me (since it was my first OELVN, I think), but I've only played it once. I definitely have to mention it though, since I liked it a lot and wished there was a sequel or an extended version or something. I've played the old demo for Lucky Rabbit Reflex twice--and I hope to buy the full game soon--but I guess something I've played "again and again" is RockRobin's demo. (I'm noticing a pattern with demos here...) The writing is just so omgfantastic. I can like something even if the art isn't good or the writing isn't good, but I'll play it over and over if I like both.

undercovergirl

#15 Post by undercovergirl »

Anything made by SakeVisual is sure to be awesome. The first VN I ever played (and the one that got me into it) is Katawa Shoujo. For that, it will always be my favorite.