Uh... How to make my linearts... cleaner??

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

Uh... How to make my linearts... cleaner??

#1 Post by tuna_sushi »

I was just wondering how to make my lines less messy and stuff...
My lines are not that smooth and stuff, I need a program / tutorial to make it smoother!!
this is an example...

you can see how rough it is on the bottom of the dress (Legs, too)
ZOOM IN
Attachments
bladidahdidah.png

archia
Regular

Re: Uh... How to make my linearts... cleaner??

#2 Post by archia »

What program do you use? Do you have a tablet or do you mouse draw? (:

tuna_sushi
Veteran

#3 Post by tuna_sushi »

I use adobe photoshop elements 8 (I used to have cs7... now it's gone... T_T)
I have a tablet, but my lines are still wiggly :oops:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

tuna_sushi wrote:I use adobe photoshop elements 8 (I used to have cs7... now it's gone... T_T)
I have a tablet, but my lines are still wiggly :oops:
I'm going to guess you mean photoshop 7 since CS is only up to 5 :D

There are two ways to get clean lines, one is to draw them and one is to use vector tools (like a pen tool).

The first usually just requires practice and people tend to have their own way of doing things. Sai also has a smoothing function (which I personally do not like) that a lot of people find useful. Some people zoom in a lot and carefully trace the lines. Some use a draw and erase procedure. I generally use zoomed in for details and zoom out for long lines. I find that moving quickly with confidence helps me get nice smooth lineart, but that is the way I do it, not the only one.

The second uses a similar method to vectors, in which it uses mathamatical points to calculate angles and curves. Basically, you use the pen tool to draw the paths and then you stroke the paths. I know Sai has settings that allow you to taper points and control flow. I don't use this method because I find it tedious and I am super impatient, but a lot of people are really happy with the results they get from this method.

archia
Regular

#5 Post by archia »

You could also draw two or three times the size of the finished picture. The 'wiggliness' is reduced when you shrink it to the proper proportions at the end, and then sharpen :)

But yeah, remember to zoom in when you're lining. That's important!

jaypee_1
Regular

#6 Post by jaypee_1 »

Do you use tablet for drawing the line art? or just the pen tool on photoshop which also guarantees a clean line art :D .

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#7 Post by Niki »

Personally I hate the pen tool. Mostly because I can't use it well and it takes too long... (T_T)

A tip I have is to find out whether you draw vertical lines or horizontal lines more comfortably. Paint Tool SAI has a rotating function (not sure if Photoshop does) that can turn the image so it's easier for you to draw the kind of lines you like ^^ Um, it's hard to explain. Hope I helped!
Image (devblog) || tumblr

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

I personally use the pen tool in photoshop since I actually find it easier and faster to use than my drawing tablet. After you've done about 10 drawings using the pen tool, it becomes pretty instinctive to use. Of course, this is provided that you know how to use the tool properly.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#9 Post by JustAnotherMe »

curve tool in SAI helps a lot to make a really neat line art. But I personally want to try to draw manually since it took a long time. But for now I'll use curve tool bcoz it really save my time to do the coloring and all (with the line being very neat).
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#10 Post by Anna »

Actually, SAI also has this setting at the top (next to the rotation icons and such) which is called 'smoothing' or something and adjusts the lines you draw. The higher it is, the more it will 'fix' the flow of your lines.

It helps a lot to get smoother lines when you're drawing zoomed out, but I also recommend zooming in for details and the actual line-art. Make a sketch before doing anything too.

edit: oops, Auro-Cyanide also shortly mentioned the smoothing option XD. You might hate it at first (as I did because of the 'lag' it gets) but I think it's a matter of getting used to it, since it does help in the end.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#11 Post by Gear »

On the occasion I draw something, once I've scanned it, I'll load it into Photoshop, keeping the original length. Then, using a mouse+keyboard combo, I hold down the shift key and click to create straight lines. I trace the original drawing using hundreds/thousands of these tiny lines, that when zoomed out and resized, create a nice, clean trace of the original photo.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

tuna_sushi
Veteran

#12 Post by tuna_sushi »

thanks for all the help! I use SAI now and my linearts are so clean :D