Need artist

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
denzil
Veteran

Need artist

#1 Post by denzil »

I'm finishing one small project, and the only thing I am missing is graphic. So if someone is interested in making graphic (both background and character) for a slightly depresive set of three short stories let me know. If you aren't sure tell me too and I just send/point to download so you can decide. Only thing I don't want is too colorful graphic, it just wouldn fit.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#2 Post by Watercolorheart »

Uhhh ... maybe. What sort of story is it?

I mean, you are my programmer for the sonic game, so I guess I owe you something in return. You already have my e-mail, just send me the stories. If I take a shine to one, I'll see what I can whip up. If not, I'll let it pass.

denzil
Veteran

#3 Post by denzil »

I doubt you owe me anything. I didn't much yet. But thanks for interest. Script sent.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#4 Post by Vatina »

Well I can't do backgrounds, but maybe characters. So if you want to you can try and send me the scripts as well...?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

Well if you're interested in very non-colorful depressive / war-torn / battlescarred backgrounds with lots of grime (especially buildings made of bricks / hollow-blocks), I can help. I don't have one currently in my library, but can whip out one from scratch if you describe the location.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#6 Post by Watercolorheart »

I liked the first story. I had this idea of doing the girl with the book like a Yuki Nagato look-alike, the city like a black and white closed space, and the guy like Kyon, but you'll probably ixnay that ^_^;

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

Will this be in black & white? Don't you think this will work better in black and white given the grim mood, as well as being able to better match the character and the background?

Will the character reside inside the background, or just atop of it?

About how many chars / bgs per piece are you expecting? That way we can send rough layouts before coloring.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Watercolorheart »

*nod*

I liked last dance, too, but I don't know how I'd draw for that one. I read all 3 stories, but the first one appealed to me the most.

I've got dibs!

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#9 Post by Vatina »

Same as BCS here - they were all nice, but I liked the first one the best as well

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

Is it a requirement that all 3 stories have the same look/feel, or can they be different artstyles? Like, will the artists' works be spread across the board, or concentrated on the story best suited?

denzil
Veteran

#11 Post by denzil »

I'm glad you like it. I was a bit afraid... Well it's no surprise you like first one most, as it spent most time in my head.
BCS wrote:I liked the first story. I had this idea of doing the girl with the book like a Yuki Nagato look-alike, the city like a black and white closed space, and the guy like Kyon, but you'll probably ixnay that ^_^;
I'll let the look of characters fully up to you artists (except for what I described inside stories of course).
DaFool wrote:Will this be in black & white? Don't you think this will work better in black and white given the grim mood, as well as being able to better match the character and the background?
Yes I think black and white would work best, but some kind of washed-out colors would probably work too.
DaFool wrote:Will the character reside inside the background, or just atop of it?
Don't know. Is there any difference when making them? (It will be put together in the end anyway.)
DaFool wrote:About how many chars / bgs per piece are you expecting? That way we can send rough layouts before coloring.
That depends. First story will probably require most work, 3-4 backgrounds, one of them with people (just figures without details), one character in 3 poses (sitting, standing, knees). Dance can probably go with one background and character. And the last one 2-3 bgs and one character. Character count is if you want to draw it from first person view, if you want to draw also main characters you have to add one person per story.

And it isn't requirement to be made by one artist.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by DaFool »

Is BCS doing bgs, particularly for the first story? Does she intend to do an entire story?
Yes I think black and white would work best, but some kind of washed-out colors would probably work too.
I was going to do real-world colors, but with final render in B&W. Easier for compositing, especially if the characters are colored from a simpler palette.
DaFool wrote:Will the character reside inside the background, or just atop of it?
Don't know. Is there any difference when making them? (It will be put together in the end anyway.)
The perspective thing, like having to draw a character specifically to match the perspective of the background. In this case, for best compatibility, then the horizon will just have to be smack-dab in the center.

denzil
Veteran

#13 Post by denzil »

>>Is BCS doing bgs, particularly for the first story?
>
Haven't decided yet, but it looks like she wants to.

>>Does she intend to do an entire story?
>
No idea. Your comment BCS?

>>The perspective thing, like having to draw a character specifically to match the perspective of the background. In this case, for best compatibility, then the horizon will just have to be smack-dab in the center.
>
So if I understand when characters don't reside in background you have to make backgrounds to fit with character. So I guess it will be better to have characters as a part of background.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Watercolorheart »

Well, yeah, I can probably do the whole thing. Are you wanting to the backgrounds for me, DaFool? I can just do a CG or two or something, instead, and do the girl and the boy.

Is there any kind of deadline? What's reasonable here?

... I'll do some sketches over the weekend, or I'll try to. As crazy things have been around my house, I can never predict what's going to happen.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by DaFool »

Hehe, I also like the first story, and also for a simpler reason: its easier to visualize the settings.

I'm going to do BGs for all 3 stories, as many rough layouts as I can so there is a selection. But BCS and Vatina are welcome to take over any story they like.

Ideally the characters would be drawn to fit inside the background, but the opposite can be done as well.

In any case, it's up to denzil :)

and it's so nice to be called an artist