Man hair!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Anthy
Regular

Re: For straight women and gay men

#16 Post by Anthy »

I think it really depends on the setting for what's appropriate, but I personally like medium-length to longer hair. I agree with Aleema, the high ponytails or topknot/tied-back look is awesome :D (I like them on both male and female characters, it's an all-around good look).

By the topic definition though I would really dislike short hair D: Buzz cuts or crew cuts make me die inside... not to mention I associate it with my guy friends who are like "hurrrr well it's easy to take care of" but then flip a bitch when I get a shoulder-length haircut. Or if it's like super neat always freshly-trimmed-looking short hair, it trips homicidal sociopath flags >___> Some short hairstyles are okay, as long as they can pass the barrette test (ie. if it's long enough to arbitrarily cover in hairclips, it's acceptable). I prefer more "overgrown" shorter hair, especially if it's wavy... though I love straight hair more for long styles

But if it's a "realistic" school setting and this guy has long long beautiful hair, it's going to look really off to me. Especially if no one finds it unusual. Even if it's pretty, it's off. (though I still might pursue them anyway)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#17 Post by sake-bento »

Aleema wrote:ME LIKE TOPIC. HAIR GOOD.

I like ponytails in general, but I have a HUGE lady boner for high ponytails (top of the head). Most commonly seen in ancient Chinese and Japanese hairstyles, but for some reason, they drive me wild:
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. In fact, have a picture of my boyfriend as proof of my love.

Typically, I prefer longer hair on slimmer boys, and shorter hair on the larger ones. Messy bangs always do it for me, too.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#18 Post by Aleema »

sake-bento wrote:Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. In fact, have a picture of my boyfriend as proof of my love.
So a modern guy can pull it off! :o

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#19 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I do have a thing for pony tails (low) but I have liked all kinds of hairstyles. It depends what type of man is wearing it. What I think is most important is that a) the haircut they have suits them and b) they keep it nice. While I have a thing for ponytails, a lot of the time I see them they are very unkempt and I dislike it. I keep very far away from guys who don't have certain pride in their appearance. It tells me a lot about how the take care of things :/

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#20 Post by Deji »

Ponytails (super shport one, medium length ones, long ones... ALL OF THEM *_*) are a weakness of mine. Well kept long-ish hair is appreciated as well.
I don't really like short hair =/ And super short hair just a few millimeters long to shaved hair... that is a complete turnoff.

My first boyfriend had a lovely jaw-length golden curly hair that I died for, but he refused to keep it longer and get a ponytail... until after a couple of years after we broke up. I was so mad at him! XD;
My second boyfriend had a shoulder-length ponytail when I met him, and it grew to chest-length braid while we were together. I loved it, though it was really greasy when you got to actually touch it due a condition he had, sadly >:
My current boyfriend, who completely hates his hair, kept a ponytail for several years just I because I liked it ^__^
... then he cut it super short because he couldn't stand it anymore xD; Now I keep my hair long instead in return ^^
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

natsumachi
Regular
Completed: Re∞Birth [BL]
Projects: Ferfecir [BL]
Organization: Milky Cherry

#21 Post by natsumachi »

Um, seconding the old-school Japanese/Chinese high ponytail styles. I especially find this appealing on suave older men.
On younger guys I prefer short-medium length, with a messy/curly but styled quality.

But I think as long as it looks well-cared-for and stylish any length can be nice.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#22 Post by Joey »

Medium length/short hair! I think shorter haircuts accentuate manliness, which I think is pretty charismatic. ^^

I'm surprised that so many people don't like guys with shorter hair :< In the Asian entertainment scene most boy bands/solo singers/actors seem to be moving from long hair to shorter haircuts, so from what I can see it seems to be the "trend" now. But I guess longer hair lends a more fantasy-ish/bishonen appeal, which I can understand XD
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Endorphin
Veteran

#23 Post by Endorphin »

Joey, that depends. =o
For example, the lenght of the hair of your avatar - that's something I consider sexy too.
But I don't like it when the hair's so short that I can't even grab it or something. >_<"

But you're right, long hair really seem popular. xD
(I prefere low, ultrashort ponytails, but it's all kinda cute.)
But this means more short haired guys for us! ;D /fail

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#24 Post by MiSi »

I think, I especially like pale (blond, white or silver) hair. Even more, when it's extremely long... (but I guess, the length doesn't really matter. For example i ended up liking one of my sister's OCs, who is an ex-soldier and therefore really has extremely short hair, just because he looks so damn charismatic, that badass :D ;) )

But I also go for guys with dark (blue, black, ...) hair, in combination with some hot glasses :D

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#25 Post by Omnificent »

Shag or mop length is the best. No crew cuts, no emo-hair, no dudes with hairstyles clearly grafted from the head of a 12-year-old girl, ponytail length hair only if you are a metalhead/Viking/samurai/womanizer/can otherwise pull it off.

But really it depends on the character design/style. Go with what makes sense.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

kingjing
Projects: Eve of eternitY (RPG maker)

#26 Post by kingjing »

Bi dude reporting.
Surely you're designing more than one guy. Variety is the spice of life! (the lack of bald guys in bishi games saddens me)
Personally, I like shorter hair, but I really enjoy seeing different styles. I like to have my aesthetic sense challenged.
Though I guess that's not really the best way to make popular designs... ^^;

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#27 Post by Gear »

These certainly were not the responses I was expecting, though I might have if I'd taken into account the specific variation of individuals I was addressing. The responses have been very enlightening. I've been having difficulty giving one of my characters longer hair despite my efforts, but it would appear that it would be in my best interest to keep trying.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#28 Post by sake-bento »

Gear wrote:These certainly were not the responses I was expecting, though I might have if I'd taken into account the specific variation of individuals I was addressing. The responses have been very enlightening. I've been having difficulty giving one of my characters longer hair despite my efforts, but it would appear that it would be in my best interest to keep trying.
If it doesn't look right on him, it doesn't. Not everyone has the right "look" for long hair, and there are lots of guys with short hair who can still be immensely appealing.

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#29 Post by Dollywitch »

I find short hair the least attractive but it depends on the character really.

I think I prefer bald to short hair nearly.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#30 Post by Gear »

@sake-bento: The problem is, I personally don't like long hair on ANY guy. So I can't trust my own opinion on the matter.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.