The Thirteenth Year [Fantasy/Philosophical]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

The Thirteenth Year [Fantasy/Philosophical]

#1 Post by Taleweaver »

Main title
Main title
Download Windows version
Download Mac version
Download Linux version
Playtime: ~1-2 hrs
Length: ~30,000 words
Game type: NVL-type visual novel
Themes: Fantasy, steampunk, philosophy, religion
Endings: 3
Pairings: none
Protagonist: Male or female, player's choice
Screenshots:
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0006.png
screenshot0007.png
Plot: An episodic tale about a journey through the world, though not our world. The tale isn't told by the one who travels, a child named Astelli, but by the people Astelli meets during that journey. Yet why is it that these people remember Astelli so vividly? Only the end of the story will explain that.

Unlike many of my previous games, this one has no early "game over"-endings. Each playthrough will lead you through the entire story.

Have fun, and please bear with me. I don't do NVL stories often. This one came out more like an interactive picture book than your typical VN.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The Thirteenth Year [Fantasy/Philosophical]

#2 Post by try10 »

WAIT!! NO romance?! :(( that's sad...

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

try10 wrote:WAIT!! NO romance?! :(( that's sad...
And that is ALL there is to say about the story?

THAT is sad.
More about me in my blog

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#4 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

If you were expecting a romance, then you're obviously looking in the wrong place. When you're busy philosophizing and pondering over religion, there's usually very little time for dating.

That said, I downloaded the game and started playing through Chapter 1. Very interesting so far, but I think I found a few missing words here or there. Did you have a couple proofreaders look through the script before the release?
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

Rewritten Ennui wrote:
If you were expecting a romance, then you're obviously looking in the wrong place. When you're busy philosophizing and pondering over religion, there's usually very little time for dating.

That said, I downloaded the game and started playing through Chapter 1. Very interesting so far, but I think I found a few missing words here or there. Did you have a couple proofreaders look through the script before the release?
Actually, one, my artist/musician, DaFool, read the whole thing. There shouldn't be many typos left, though; I don't think they'll be overly distracting.
More about me in my blog

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#6 Post by JustAnotherMe »

It looks like this will be interesting ^^ I'll give it a go tomorrow!!
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#7 Post by Omnificent »

All right, these are my impressions on my first playthrough:

-If this is a stranger that our MC has never seen before, let alone knows the gender of, how do we know that their name is Astelli? Even though I assume that this entire story is retrospective, it kept bugging me throughout the intro.

-Ah, every chapter follows a new person. This really is like Kino's Journey.

-So everyone knows Astelli's name even when she hasn't introduced herself properly to them. That is interesting.
-I saw the thing with the stigmata coming, but it didn't make it any less visceral to read.

-The ghost, on the other hand, threw me.
-I liked that every person's response to Astelli determined how much she was able to help them.
-Whoa overarching plot
-So every decision you make ripples back in on later events in subtle ways. I know that's not something I should be surprised at in a VN, but I don't think I've ever seen it implemented this way before.
-And so Astelli became a god.
All in all, very nice. I was drawn in by the episodic fables and stayed to see how everything would culminate. Every perspective felt tangibly different, which was nice.

I'll probably play through again to see the other endings later, but it was a pretty epic game to play through just once. I genuinely enjoyed reading this. Good job!
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#8 Post by Wright1000 »

I like philosophical stories, though I haven't written one myself. I played this one. The story was not bad, but there were some grammatical errors and typos. It was scary as well as a little funny.
But, I don't understand those people who are expecting romance in a philosophical story.
I also don't understand that when I played the game the first time, Astelli was a girl. But, when I played it again, he was a boy.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

Wright1000 wrote:I also don't understand that when I played the game the first time, Astelli was a girl. But, when I played it again, he was a boy.
It's not that hard to understand. It's the first sign that people can change Astelli with what they do.
Omnificent wrote: -If this is a stranger that our MC has never seen before, let alone knows the gender of, how do we know that their name is Astelli? Even though I assume that this entire story is retrospective, it kept bugging me throughout the intro.
I hope it makes sense in retrospect. After everybody knows who Astelli is, people talk about what happened to them during the thirteenth year.
-I liked that every person's response to Astelli determined how much she was able to help them.
You can consider that one of the main themes of the entire story.
All in all, very nice. I was drawn in by the episodic fables and stayed to see how everything would culminate. Every perspective felt tangibly different, which was nice.

I'll probably play through again to see the other endings later, but it was a pretty epic game to play through just once. I genuinely enjoyed reading this. Good job!
I'm curious... what was the name of chapter 13 on your first playthrough?
More about me in my blog

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#10 Post by Omnificent »

The name of Chapter 13 for me was "From Above".
I'm guessing there's also a 'dark' ending where he/she does destroy the world after losing hope in his/her ability to change things for the better.
EDIT:
Just got "From Eye Level" through redoing the last choice. I'll go out on a limb and guess that the last ending is "From Below".
Also, a small piece of fanart.
Last edited by Omnificent on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

Omnificent wrote:The name of Chapter 13 for me was "From Above".
Ah yes. Interesting. Thought that wouldn't happen that often during a first playthrough. But maybe it's just you :)
More about me in my blog

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#12 Post by Wright1000 »

Taleweaver wrote: It's not that hard to understand. It's the first sign that people can change Astelli with what they do.
When Astelli was born, he/she was born as a girl or as a boy. But, how can the actions of other people change his/her gender. That's what I meant.
And, that's only what I don't understand. The rest of the story is okay. Whether Astelli will destroy the world or not, that will obviously depend on the people's actions. But they can't change someone's gender with their simple actions, can they?
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

Wright1000 wrote:When Astelli was born, he/she was born as a girl or as a boy.
Okay, I need to spoiler this out:
As you read in chapter 12, Astelli was never really "born". Astelli was "made", artificially created. And to the creators, other things than gender were important. So Astelli never had a gender... until someone else came along.
More about me in my blog

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#14 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I've got her to be the approaching darkness. Bohooohoo... But alas, it's a nice work! Without a good art, but you keep me still reading it. You've made good timings with little pics you have, and that result in a nice flow of story.
Well I knew about this already, but you're a good writer!! Hope you succeed on your other projects too!!!
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#15 Post by Snow Blossom »

That was an intriguing piece of work, although I can't say I understood most of it. It provided some interesting insights that I have never thought of before, and it was fun watching Astelli develop as a character. The way in which the story was told was also refreshing and suited the atmosphere of the story very well, and the storybook setting really made it feel like a journey (spiritual and physical).
At first, I was surprised that Astelli would suddenly become so moody and childish in the later part of the game, but in retrospect that made perfect sense and was in accordance with her character. However, I still find it hard to believe that such a young child could be so thoughtful, even if she was the Approaching Darkness.... Regardless, the innocence of a child combined with an uncanny clearness of mind made her quite an interesting character, and I soon grew fond of her.
I have only managed to obtain 2 of the endings so far and that last one is one stubborn little creature. So now I'm off to struggle with it some more!!