Games about building strictly platonic relationships

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Fawn
Moe Imouto

Games about building strictly platonic relationships

#1 Post by Fawn »

So, we have all this GxB, BxG, GxG BxB ect. in the forum. Almost every game has romance of some sort.

What about a game that there was no romance, but just friendship? Platonic friendship, just about getting through the conflict of the story without having to romance someone?

The more I think about a particular game idea I have, the more I realize I don't want it to be romantic at all. The main conflict/climax doesn't need romance, however it's still a relationship building game.

What do you think about this kind of relationship-based game? Are things just boring without romance, or is it weird to just have everyone be friends in the end and nothing more?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Games about building strictly platonic relationships

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Fawn wrote:Are things just boring without romance, or is it weird to just have everyone be friends in the end and nothing more?
I think it reflects too many of our real lives too closely :lol:

All right, all right, I'm kidding... kind of. Ask me again after I get another girlfriend.

Some people would play and think "wait, what happened, is that it?" and have a "something's missing" feeling, but it would be different. A good game will be a good game, after all :) It would be interesting to see you try this out.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#3 Post by Omnificent »

I like games with strong bromance components, I say go for it.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Why would it be weird? People are friends all the time. As long as it was written well, I don't care HOW the characters interact, as long as they are interacting. Not everyone is out to get into someone else's pants. Plus I agree with Omnificent, male friendship stories are really interesting to me because, well, males are curious in how they show affection to each other, so it's entertaining to read about.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#5 Post by Deji »

I like this idea a lot!
I'd love to play a game like that, myself (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#6 Post by Kura »

I'm all for it! I actually somewhat prefer reading about platonic relationships, and I think it's quite a shame that fiction often treats romantic relationships as being more meaningful or story-worthy than platonic ones.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#7 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Omnificent wrote:I like games with strong bromance components, I say go for it.
^This. I need moar bromance in my games.

Although some players have a tendency to ship characters if even the slightest hint of attraction is given. You see it all the time in fanworks, so it can't be avoided.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Van Knox
Regular

#8 Post by Van Knox »

I love a good bromance. Sometimes(most of the times) I prefer a good bromance to romance. For example, while there are a lot of people who like to "ship" Sherlock Holmes and Watson, I think their relationship is much better described as a good old bromance. And one of the best bromances of all time, I might add!

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#9 Post by Mink »

Yeah, there's no romance in my game. At all. There's a part in it that may come off that way, but Word of God: it's not meant to be romantic.
It IS possible to share a bed with someone without wanting to boink them.
And yeah, why would it be weird? It's not like platonic relationships don't...exist. :/

@Rewritten Ennui: Sometimes I think that's just apophenia.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

I think most moe slice of life fall under the platonic umbrella. A lot of guys don't really want to see their favorite 2D girl hook up and actually have a boyfriend. Platonic moe slice of life enables us to enjoy the girls while avoiding the nerdrage that would come should she actually, well, engage naturally as a woman.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:male friendship stories are really interesting to me because, well, males are curious in how they show affection to each other, so it's entertaining to read about.
Usually when thought in the context of Japanese media, we immediately think of shounen-ai undertones.

Some try to attempt this bromance slice of life thing, but it doesn't always work out:
http://jphinano.wordpress.com/2011/10/0 ... lob-anime/

It's something that would come naturally were I to write it, though. I've had plenty of good 'male bonding' moments in engineering school. There's more to guy talk than dirty sex jokes on one hand and being overly sentimental on the other hand.

(Hmmm... no wonder shonen is so popular)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#11 Post by Blue Lemma »

Mink wrote:And yeah, why would it be weird? It's not like platonic relationships don't...exist. :/
They tend not to be as interesting, in general, as romantic ones (think soap operas and Twilight.... er wait, actually don't)
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#12 Post by Fawn »

Ah well unfortunately it's not a bromance, the opposite- Womance xD A womance love triangle in fact- It's about 3 girls (including the POV character) who have felt isolated all their lives and end up having friendship together, changing their lives in the process. Depending on which girl you express more interest in, you get different endings.

I mentioned that it might be weird because so many games are about romancing characters (especially when girls are involved) and that players might feel like something's missing, as Lemma mentioned.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder

#13 Post by Blue Lemma »

It would be interesting to get a female-made game on female relationships. I bet more guys would be interested in it than you think (and probably even more women.)
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#14 Post by Camille »

So it'd be kind of like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? XD Nothing wrong with that. I think personal relationships are interesting no matter whether they're romantic or not.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by DaFool »

Blue Lemma wrote:It would be interesting to get a female-made game on female relationships. I bet more guys would be interested in it than you think (and probably even more women.)
And male-made game on male relationships.

How's that for realism and authenticness?