An Awesome Webcomic!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: An Awesome Webcomic!

#16 Post by LVUER »

I agree with JAM. It varies from person to person. It could be very scary for some people. Like I said... it's not that scary (for some people, like me for example), but it have pretty high shock effect. Especially since I'm not expecting any animation when reading a comic.

Anyway, the first link is scarier than the second. No wonder, considering the former is newer than the latter (guess the author is improving). And the first link have two animations, the second animation (which is almost at the end of the comic) is much scarier (or more shocking) than the first one.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#17 Post by Taleweaver »

I won't read this. As much as I like horror, I hate jump scares. I really loved the atmosphere of Fatal Frame 2, for example, but I ragequit the game and never touched it again after the first movie projector sequence. Ooh, fuzzy/flickering picture of dark hallway? Oh, I see, that's how they show you where to go next! Nice, very atmospheric. Now towards that wall... hmm, through the wall, maybe a secret door? Oh, that's the end of the film. Alright, then I'll just leave and look for that HOLY FUCK DISTORTED FACE RIGHT ALL OVER THE SCREEN SCREAMING AT ME INSTEAD OF THE PROTAGONIST!

Really, do that to me and there's a good chance you've lost me as your audience. I sold Fatal Frame 2 at GameStop the next day.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#18 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Taleweaver, FEAR was like that, made me jump out of my skin in the first 10 minutes, and I don't scare easily. I just didn't expect
someone to pop out of nowhere and smack me in the face with a chair D:

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#19 Post by Death_HUG »

I agree with JAM too. The first time I've been introduced to horror was a few years ago and ever since then, I've never been able to watch anything scary >3> I didn't really expect animation and sound too *shudder*

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#20 Post by teacup »

I wasn't exaggerating XD I'm rather like Taleweaver, actually...
Taleweaver wrote:As much as I like horror, I hate jump scares.
I don't get scared easily from horror films because you expect things to move, and you expect scary sounds.
This is a comic though. I wasn't expecting any of above, so I was very, very surprised!
And... there's no way I'm going to go back to see the 2nd animation if it's scarier than the first XD

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#21 Post by Snow Blossom »

HOLY MOTHER OF-- That was terrifying!!! The animations caught me way off guard. I found the first one so much more scary, although both were shriek-inducing. The stories certainly did their job well... I think I'm going to have nightmares for the rest of the week now... *shivers*

Funnyguts
Veteran

#22 Post by Funnyguts »

How did you not expect it? As soon as I noticed the comic was Flash I knew what was coming.

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#23 Post by RemnantDream »

Funnyguts wrote:How did you not expect it? As soon as I noticed the comic was Flash I knew what was coming.
See.. I didn't notice xD
For some reason, when I read through the first one, it skipped over the first animation. I just saw the pictures of the head slowly turning. Then, I got to the second animation and it made me jump a little. Then, when I went back it worked for me. The second link didn't scare me at all. When that dude mentioned the hand, I knew it would pop up at some point.
I really don't scare easily at all. It may startle me once, but after that, I can watch it again and not even flinch.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#24 Post by Mink »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:@Taleweaver, FEAR was like that, made me jump out of my skin in the first 10 minutes, and I don't scare easily. I just didn't expect
someone to pop out of nowhere and smack me in the face with a chair D:
Actually, I think
he hits hits you in the face with a 2x4. /pedantic
But yes, FEAR is mostly jump scares. And fire fights. And jump scares.
It's good at building up atmosphere, and making things scary when you're walking around and see Paxton walking ahead of you, or that part in to where he acts a bit...rapey...towards Alice, when you look at a TV watching Paxton walking down a hall and then Alma eases on to the screen, when it looked like Alma was going to attack Alice on the elevator and you couldn't do anything about it. (But Alma lost any scary/creepiness factor for me when I found out her actual back story)

I mean, it can be legitimately creepy and scary at times, but why it doesn't stick with that and uses so many jump scares, I'll never know.
But uh, yeah. I'll watch this when my roommate is else where, because my computer has sound issues, and I don't want random...whatever suddenly blaring out.

Edit: Or read. Whatever.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#25 Post by Sapphi »

Do you guys hate jump scares because they actually scare you or just because they're overused and obnoxious? I'm guessing the latter...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

J. Datie
Veteran

#26 Post by J. Datie »

Sapphi wrote:Do you guys hate jump scares because they actually scare you or just because they're overused and obnoxious? I'm guessing the latter...
That, and it's a cheap way to get scares. No need to think about things, just sudden pictures and loud noises.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#27 Post by Mink »

^This.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Seven
Regular

#28 Post by Seven »

The first one was too scary for me...
My brother and I just fell from the computer chair :cry: :cry:

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#29 Post by teacup »

Sapphi wrote:Do you guys hate jump scares because they actually scare you or just because they're overused and obnoxious? I'm guessing the latter...
Yeah, they're just a really cheap way to frighten someone.
I don't actually get *scared* from it [to the point where I have a nightmare or something], just... the shock of it makes it an unpleasant experience. XD

salis
Regular
Projects: Too many~!

#30 Post by salis »

Thanks so much for sharing this, LVUER! Those webcomics were both incredibly terrifying and amazing at the same time. I read them twice just to savor them a bit more! Shivers are still running up and down my spine, too. Loved it! What impressed me most was how unsettling the static images were. Maybe it was because they were rendered so well, or maybe it was because I was forewarned ahead of time that there would be something unexpected, but I was tense at every panel. And when watching the first animation of the first link for the first time, I frantically tried to scroll away, only to find my screen trapped on that panel until the animation was complete. I was freaking out in both a totally frightened and "how cool is that!" kind of way. XD Totally awesome.
ImageImageImage
If you'd like to contact me, please email me at: sal.com@live.com