Multiple writers

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

Multiple writers

#1 Post by Tag- »

So, a lot of projects I've seen around seem to have multiple writers working on the same team. While splitting paths is usually what most do, I can see that some groups assign characters to each writer as well.

What I'm curious about is how do you guys go about writing scenes that have multiple characters in it. How do you decide how a certain character reacts or what they say?

If this is in the wrong section then please feel free to move it xD''.
Last edited by Tag- on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me if needed

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Re: Multiple writers

#2 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I dunno how to do this, but I suggest doing a roleplay with each of you acting as the characters, then one main writer will base the story from what had happened in the roleplay? XD

Not sure.

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Tag- »

Well, I think something like that would be a bit difficult if the writers aren't on at the same time. I guess it would be a bit difficult as well if there was one character that everyone had to write, say, the main character?
PM me if needed

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Hey, I was just suggesting. XD I have gotten used that everyone I worked with had the same timezone as I do, so yeah XD

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#5 Post by Anna »

I suppose you make sure that people who write those characters know them well and give them a detailed profile of each character and their morals/beliefs? I'm not sure actually, I hadn't even realized people were doing this, it's interesting to hear :').

Can I add a question? How can you write a story together with say 2-4 people, without the style changing too much? If you use multiple routes, won't you end up with very different writing styles in the end? Or does 1 person do the final check/adjustments?

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#6 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Maybe one writer can do the job, and send the file to the other people who is in charge of a certain character. Then they can say what to change to keep the story from getting too OOC or sumethin.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

I've been a co-writer for lots and lots of projects already, so here's what I usually do:

The lead writer assigns me to work on the subplot of one or two main characters, and then she asks me to edit her scripts, so I can somehow make it similar to my writing style. I can also manage to adapt to her style of writing as well.

Another has me looking through a script and inserting a few lines/dialog that will make things more interesting or less confusing or funnier or whatever.

And the last project, well, I'm not sure how to describe this, but it's something called "screenplay writing". The main writer sends me instructions (kinda like he's telling me what he wants to happen in a certain scene) and I sort of expand it and I can also add a few personal touches if I think it can make the scene look better or funnier. (Generally funnier, cause I tend to add the quirkiest conversations when I'm high on sugar. XD)

Anyway, that's pretty much it. :)
Anna wrote: Can I add a question? How can you write a story together with say 2-4 people, without the style changing too much? If you use multiple routes, won't you end up with very different writing styles in the end? Or does 1 person do the final check/adjustments?
Well, for all the projects I've co-written in, it usually has one person doing the final checking/adjustments. Which is really necessary for someone like me, since I almost always ignore THE MOST blatant grammatical errors/typos when I'm in a bad mood. (Yeah, it's a bad habit I'm desperately trying to get rid of.)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#8 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@silverxblue: wow! I really hope you can be my co-writer too @_@ /shot!
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

JustAnotherMe wrote:@silverxblue: wow! I really hope you can be my co-writer too @_@ /shot!
Well, if you don't mind seeing grammatical errors, then I can be your co-writer! *Is shot because there are too many projects under her belt already.*
There are times when I have less/zero errors, then there are the most random times that I have a LOT! o_O

But to be honest, I really don't know why I like co-writing so much, I even like it better than being a main writer. XD
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#10 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@silverxblue: sent you a pm XD see if you're interested... XF

EDIT: Why is this becoming a recruitment thread?! Sorry Tag-...

Well, back to the topic. I don't know about multiple writers if you mean it about 3-4 people working together to make a story of their own. I have 1 co-writer so far (If silver agree to join me, then that makes 2 co-writers) But as the main writer, I make all the rough draft and I give the details to them. But my rough draft tend to be really specific and detailed with all the event that flows. And of course I'll make sure all of my co-writer understand each character and the main story. I think that way, even if I have multiple writers, I think the story won't be different. Well, just adjust all of their style of writing and give them to the editor to see the plot holes and finally to the proof reader. That's how I work anyway.^^
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Tag- »

@JAM
Haha, I don't mind really, looks like you've got yourself a great partner :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions, they're really helpful. I guess it's easier collectively to have a 'head' writer, who checks everything at the end?
PM me if needed

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#12 Post by Cidz »

with WWOH im working with 2 other writers in the begging we got into group chats (on AIM) and talked about the general plot, ideas, etc... after that we split up the character routes (since in my game there will be seperate paths) with 11 love interests the other 2 writers chose 4 guys each and i took on 3 + the intro route. now we pretty much just write out our character routes we occassionally share ideas or if theres something that might be used in everyones route we mention it, but other then that its pretty easy to write on your own. (of course afterwards we share the character route with each other and proofreaders/editors)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

I think multiple writer (also happen for multiple artist) will slow down the production process if all of them aren't in the same place. Or you could risk having the story disconnected from each other.

Aquaplus also had this difficulty when developing To Heart 2, because the game was made by two different staff in two different studio (located in different city).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#14 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I live halfway around the world from my co-writer and we don't have any trouble. At least, things aren't slowed down because we're cowriting. It's mostly motivation drains and creative blocks that get in the way. As the native English speaker of the two, I tend to edit and touch up upon what my buddy writes, to give it a similar surface feel as well as having proper flow and grammar.

We don't run into much trouble when it comes to working together, since most of our stories are mapped out in advance and we know which scene each of us is doing and what our goal is with each scene. We've done this long enough that we've developed a level of trust in what the other is doing in regards to exact execution and interpretation, so the other doesn't need to be babysat on any scene. We both look over the work we've done though, and discuss where we might have differences, but it generally isn't a problem since we agree on so much in advance.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#15 Post by Kura »

I've never co-written a visual novel, but I have worked on a regular old just-words-novel together with someone else, which I figure isn't terribly different. It basically goes like this: I write a scene, she writes some scenes, I go back and add some lines of dialogue to one of her scenes, etc. There's no "final editor" or anything. Some parts read more like her writing and some parts read more like mine, but I think the style actually blends together pretty well--at least, sometimes I read a part and legitimately can't remember which one of us wrote it. That novel has a pretty distinct style of its own, though--when I write it, I'm not just writing in standard "Kura's style"; I'm writing in "Sublimation style".

I guess if you're going to be co-writing in a way like different people writing different paths (that is, if there isn't one single person to put a unified final touch on it all) and you want the style to be consistent, you'd need to make sure that together you have a distinct style specific to the project. That could probably be established by doing practice writings beforehand and actively trying to emulate each other's styles until you settle comfortably into something similar. Then again, I don't know if most readers would be bothered by shifts in style or not.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]