Game Developer Insider

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

Game Developer Insider

#1 Post by Zatch »

Hey, guys! I know that we are secret about what going on behind the scenes about our games but I'm wondering if you can share some light on the what you guys do when making your visual novel.

It can be derp moments, frustrating moments, happy moments, etc...

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Game Developer Insider

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I'm usually pretty open in my thread about anything that isn't directly spoiler related because I think it's a good thing for a community to share information. It's mostly about the art since that is, ah, what I do XD

Ummmm, I'm not sure what I can say now though. I have a lot of frustrating moments, and moments when I panic about how much work I have to do. I am generally frustrated with myself because I can be very slow -.- Sprites take me a long time and everyone seems to be quicker at them. So slooooooooow. Also, I think I get too caught up in details sometimes. I draw very, very larger, which mean I might be worrying about something no-one will see.

My happiest moments are when I read the story and I can imagine scenes *u* That is very exciting because the characters really come to life. And when I complete something I am happy with, like my halloween image. And when I got to see my sprites blink, I was SO excited about it, even if my family gave me weird looks about it ahahaha.... There are a lot of ups and downs, but that makes it fun.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#3 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Oh, you know what kind of depression I'm under when making a VN, Zatch. But my happiest moment is when I see my work done, even just a little tiny mini bit, and when someone encourage me XD
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#4 Post by Deji »

Happy moments:
- When I managed to make my sprite expressions work in game after spending a lot of time coding! <3
- When I managed to animate a scene after spending a lot of time coding! <3
- When my proofreader told me they were surprised they got to care so much about the characters even when there were no images on the build I gave them to proofread, and told me they wanted to know what happened next! <3

Frustrating moments:
- When, after a lot of coding, everything works fine until...! I realized that rollback/save/load didn't work with the cool thing I was so proud of that I ever managed to do at all and had to go back to the simpler but not-very-efficient-and-not-cool-at-all way that did work. ):

Derpy moment:
- I forgot the last name of my characters... what it was a again? ^^; No luck finding it?? Random Name generator it is until we find a nice last name!! 8D
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

Oh boy....

Lots of derpy moments. For instance, it's 3AM and I'm writing a scene which involves a 25-year old man and an 11 or 12-year old girl. I'm half-asleep and it slowly devolves into what you would expect to see in a common shipping doujinshi. A few days later I look over the script and think "Oh my gosh, I wrote this?! This is so awful and creepy! This would absolutely not happen!! AHHH! MUST DELETE!!!" :lol:

Or the many times I lie in bed, half asleep, and attempt to say certain characters' lines in the accent they are supposed to have (Multi-national casts are fun). It would be really embarrassing if anybody heard my terrible attempts!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#6 Post by yummy »

Happy moments:
- Whenever I create new characters and blend them into the universe I also made. Imagine their lifestyle, their relationships, their aspirations...
- When my proofreader stops making an awful face when he gets to recheck my script (once again).
- Sometimes I read my script again and end up being inspired by it, and find the "calm state" where I'm hyper productive.

Derp moments:
- Same as Sapphi, I guess (but I don't have any loli in my story so it won't happen).
- Sometimes when I have a great character development idea but don't have anything to log, then try to imprint, like repeating "don't forget this incredible idea!", fail and end up forgetting anyway, finally stay in front of script asking myself "what was that idea again?!"

Frustrating moments:
- "Gah! That CG is so bad! Gotta redraw that!" (moments later) "Gah It's even worse! Need to train..."
- "Huh?! When did I find the time to completely mess this transition?" OTL