Sprite Question

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

Sprite Question

#1 Post by tuna_sushi »

I need an opinion
Which one do you prefer for character sprites?
up to chest
or

full body?

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: Sprite Question

#2 Post by Deji »

I don't really like bust shot sprites as much, since you don't really get room to put more characters in there ^^; Unless that's particularly what you're going after.
I like better the second option, though that's not fullbody, but about... waist up; fullbody would be a sprite a character that shows from head to toe ;)
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#3 Post by Death_HUG »

I like the second one better~ Though I think you call that a waist up and not a full body ^-^

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

Aesthetically, I prefer waist up, but it depends on the situation. Bust up shots seem appropriate for if you're close to someone, so those are for more intimate situations or close friends. In general, waist up is nicer looking, I think.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I personally prefer having a bit more space then either so you can fit more characters on screen, though the first one would be fine if you knew you would aonly be dealing with one character at a time. It does just all depend on the the context of the story, which is why planning is important before you make the art.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#6 Post by Joey »

I think it depends on what effect you're planning on achieving? Like what sake-bento said, the bust-up shots make the proximity between the player and the character seem closer.

In Tokimeki Memorial Girls' Side (for DS at least), there are both bust-up and waist-up sprites of the characters. Sometimes it looks as if they're moving closer to the player, which is neat ^^
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#7 Post by Gear »

I prefer (and actually implement) sprites that are from knees up. It makes the sprites a bit smaller, in a sense, but you get to see more of them. Full body is a bit much, and I don't feel like waist-up is enough.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

narusasu
Completed: N/A
Projects: N/A

#8 Post by narusasu »

I agree with Gear. I would definitely use a knee up character profile. But, if you don't mind doing a little more work, I would also go back to my original file, before it was re-sized, and nab me a larger size of the picture and cut it down to waist size. I would interchange between the two images based on the situation. That way you can have the feeling of standing right in front of a character and also be able to have the feeling of standing around him/her.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#9 Post by Snow Blossom »

I prefer waist-up, but I like hip-up (if that's how it's said) the most. Chest-up just feels like the characters are invading your personal space bubble.

Rhonos

#10 Post by Rhonos »

Waist up.

It leaves a lot of room for scenery and allows more detail for the entire character. The already giant eyes aren't staring into your soul and any actions involving hands can be easily seen. It doesn't make you feel intimidated, is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#11 Post by Glasskitten »

How close to Player-kun does Sprite-chan feel comfortable standing? That's a deeply cultural sort of thing, isn't it?
(Tangent: I heard somewhere that Americans have the largest personal space bubbles in the world. I'm not sure whether I believe it as a blanket statement, considering how often people in some communities tend to pat my arms. Why can they even /reach/ my arms? What do they want? Why_do_they_pat_my_arms??? \(>o<)/ )
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by OtomeWeekend »

out of topic but... I just can't help but be bothered about the 2nd img.

"Ah, beesubooru"? Is that an official translation? A fan-translation? or just a joke for humanity?
It was supposed to be "Ah, baseball"
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LadyAvori
Regular

#13 Post by LadyAvori »

OtomeWeekend wrote:out of topic but... I just can't help but be bothered about the 2nd img.

"Ah, beesubooru"? Is that an official translation? A fan-translation? or just a joke for humanity?
It was supposed to be "Ah, baseball"

My guess would be that it was rewritten in romanji. It looks like gibberish written like that though. I didn't even realize she was saying baseball! 0.0

As far as the thread is concerned. I prefer the sprites to be mid way between the waist and knee. The knee seems to be too much while the waist is not enough. But if the sprite is suppose to be close to the player character then a bust sprite makes sense.

Soraminako
Veteran
Projects: A thingie without a title. With messy code.

#14 Post by Soraminako »

I prefer waist-up or mid-thigh-up for the most part, and bust up for certain scenes.

I am also horrifically lazy, so I say draw it from head to toe in a large format from the start, that way there's no redrawing anything, just resize and crop if you need to show them up close, or far away standing in the BG, or on the cover and so on.
(I drew my avatar especially to express the scary feeling I get from the code as I type it... XD)