Spritual things; believe it or not? Why?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

Spritual things; believe it or not? Why?

#1 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I was just trying to do a research for my game, then I remember about my own scary events. I'm kind of a logical person, I'll try to not be swayed and manipulated by things like this, but then again, after experienced something like that myself, I just can't believe myself anymore.

First: My relative lives in a haunted house. They say that they're already used from the sightings of ghosts, especially a kuntilanak. I tried to stay over just to see if they're saying the truth or not. And guess what?? I swear I could hear noises like a woman laughing freakishly and voices like the plates were hit with spoon or something. I try to think that it was just them playing a prank on me, maybe someone there have the ability to change their voice like a woman or something, I don't know.

Second: Field trip. It was said that place is a haunted place. And just like what I wanted, I get a room just in front of a swing that was said to be haunted or whatever. (I just wanted to make sure it's all a lie) But then that night, I don't know why I'm the only one who's woken up (or maybe they're the same like me. Scared to even make a move or noise), and I hear 'someone' stepping just in front of my door, and knocked my door for almost an hour!!!!! I know that because I keep looking at my mobile phone. I thought that I'm getting into a really real-like dream.
But then again, the next morning, everyone just got panicked because my teacher's child was disappeared. Or should I say, spirited away? After hours searching for her, I mean, I think that we already checked almost every corner of that place, and just planning to look for help to search outside, someone spotted her on the swing in front of my room!!!!! She just kept telling everyone that she played with the other child... but there's no other child...

I mean, I can't just believe what everyone said about ghosts, even though it's from my close friend. But then again, after some experiences like that, who am I to judge them? (Oh, I keep telling myself it's because of human error or something like that, but... you know...)

Your opinion? Oh, and maybe about those aliens? I mean, I know that we pulled an unbelievable tricks to play with society and giggling over their gossip and news for the sightings of alien. But these days, I just... find it believable... (Like that theory where you think of a possibility that there's some living beings, somewhere in the... galaxy? space? You know we can't even calculate how much planets there are in the space. And a research found some planets that could be a place where we could live, with the orbits, land, water, oxygen, gravity and such things. I mean, it's live-able.)

Oh, and btw, if you're willing to share your story, I might make your scary experience to be an idea for my game, so tell me if you don't want to.
Last edited by JustAnotherMe on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Spritual things; believe it or not? Why?

#2 Post by TsukiShima »

Yes Jam, I know that I told you this, but it's fine to make it official.

I don't really like spiritual things, especially ghosts. But that doesn't mean I don't believe in them. I do believe they exist.

But what I don't believe is that 'Vampires will kill you to get your blood' or 'Monsters will eat you taste your meat'. I believe that these things appear because we disturbed their resting place. I mean, think about it, these days there are some many directors making ghost movies, about them being haunted by ghosts. Then of course these ghosts will be mad!
It's like when ants making a movie about humans being bad and killing their kind, get what I mean?

Well, one of my experience, eh? Well, there's just one if I remember, it's this year too.
I was sleeping in my room, when suddenly I woke up. I felt that my neck was in pain, so I guessed the pain must be the cause why I was awaken. I tried to get my sleep back, but I felt.. uneasy. I lay still for a few seconds, then I felt it. Something was moving on my back. I thought it might be just my body, but then I felt it again. It was like it's crawling fast between my back and the bed, it was crawling vertically, and it goes down as it repeated again.
I didn't want to get up, I wasn't sure why. But after that, when it reached my left hand, I grabbed it. (I was in my blanket actually). I didn't had the guts to find out what it really is, then suddenly it bite me! I had to let go, but it was icky and (maybe) a little reluctant to let go. I tried to feel my hand again but it was gone. Then I felt it crawling at my legs.
I changed my position and lay on my side, of course, I couldn't sleep and waited for a few hours until I can sleep again.
When morning arrived, I searched my bed to find out what it was or if it's hiding in my room, but it wasn't there! I want to say maybe I was just imagining things, but the pain in my neck and hand were still there. I was sure my neck got bite by that thing too, whatever it was.

I told my mother that 'there's something in my bed' (I didn't explain the details), she suggested that it was just a cockroach. But can a cockroach be icky? Anyway, we cleaned my room, and that was the only night I felt it, but I still fear if it happens again.

I'm kinda like you Jam, I'm more of a science person, but I'm sure there's something that are still unknown to us. But recently I'm into horror (I blame you Jam! Yes! You!) so now I get caution at the slightest sound. I just hope I won't reach the point where I'll start making horror stories...
Last edited by TsukiShima on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#3 Post by SilverxBlue »

I don't believe these kinds of things myself, but my nephew did have a "scary experience" and my cousins told me about it so I'll just share it, I guess.

They were on their way to visit me at my house, and then when they were in the vehicle, my nephew started crying all of a sudden, my cousins tried to shush him, because my father was already in a bad mood because he was having an argument with my step mother in the car, but he wouldn't stop. He was screaming things about seeing a young boy behind a tree who was staring at him and scaring him. Then when my father already shouted because he was annoyed, he finally stopped bawling and screaming, he was still sobbing for the rest of the trip though.

He was only four years old when that happened, so I don't think he's acting. And now that he's already nine, I tried asking him about it, he told me that he doesn't remember it happening, but my cousins told me they are definitely telling the truth.

And then there's another one that I sort of experienced myself. I was playing with my DS in my room and I was all alone, it was Sunday and everyone except for me has gone to church, and then I suddenly heard footsteps and then I saw someone that looked like my nephew come in and grab something. I don't like it when people come barging into my room and getting my stuff, so I shouted "What did you just get?" at him. He ignored me and got out, and since I was too busy with my DS I decided to just shrug it off. And then five minutes later, I got hungry and since I thought that my family was already home because I just saw my nephew come in and out of my room, I decided to get out and ask them for the dinner that they promised to buy me.
And, well, to my surprise no one was still home, and to this day, I still wonder if I saw something that looks like my nephew, or if I was just hallucinating. It's mostly the latter though since I really don't believe in ghosts and other supernatural stuff. ^^;

Up to now, I still don't believe in ghosts or anything like that, because I'm sort of the I'll believe it when I see it kind of girl and if I do experience something creepy, my mind instantly registers it as a hallucination. ^^:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#4 Post by JustAnotherMe »

oh, Hana, you know I'm kind of having low self-esteem, and might be such a perfectionist. That's why I haven't make a WIP... orz... but I'll post it after I get the first 3 sprites done. I mean, I even gone as far as redo them from scratch just because I don't like my work!!

I do like spiritual things. I mean, I like getting scared by a movie, but I REALLY like it when I can laugh over that same film when I watch it again. But I don't like that thing happen to me. I mean, who like it? (Oh yeah, maybe someone might like that)

Ah, I see your point. I don't believe in such cliche-ness like that vampire and monster thingy. I mean, I don't even see it with my own eyes!!! (Yeah, shot me because I believe what I see. But now, even I don't believe myself because they can make a hallucination depends on my brain)

And... uhmmmmm... Hana, if I were you, I'll get up and hit it with full force. I just want to know if it's an animal... or something else... *gulp (Oh, maybe we can get something like a gun like in RE? Great... As if they can be hurt with something from this world... or can they?)

Oh, but I do have common sense not to deliberately 'disturb' or response to 'something'. Like when I heard the knocking for over an hour?? Who DARE to open that if you're not someone from a horror movie? (Oh, then again, I know some people brave enough to do that...) Or when I heard that kutilanak laughing freakishly? I don't even flinch or open my eyes. I don't want my existence to be noticed, you know. I'm not brave enough to prove if it's true or not by getting up and see what really happened back there.

Aghhh, you blame me. Then I MUST keep on haunting you!!!! XDDD C'mon Hana, look at the bright side!! Everything becomes more thrilling with some horror and thriller (get it?) You'll feel your heart thumping, but your curiosity gets the better of you. You just WANT to know what's that world beside your own world. And then without you realizing, you just make a horror story... A sci-fi horror like dead space is really nice, you know (except their 'too much' JUMP SCARES)

@silverxblue: Uggghhh.... I have many relatives that had experienced something like 'supernatural' things, though I don't really believe them, as well as my friends's. I TRIED to think of it as my imagination. But I can't help but wondering if it's really true. I mean, I've woken up, and unable to sleep from 3 a.m until everyone woken up by my teachers to start the field trip day and that means 6 a.m. That thing knocked the door for over an hour!!!! I hope it's just someone with a bad sleep-walking habit. But when my teacher's child got disappeared and suddenly popping out of nowhere (we searched and searched over that place 10 times or something already), swaying and chuckling alone, without all the worry in the world... errrr.... I just can't help but think that it's real...
But i know your point of view. I myself want to think like that. But...
0.3 second lunch

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

JustAnotherMe wrote:Oh, but I do have common sense not to deliberately 'disturb' or response to 'something'. Like when I heard the knocking for over an hour?? Who DARE to open that if you're not someone from a horror movie? (Oh, then again, I know some people brave enough to do that...) Or when I heard that kutilanak laughing freakishly? I don't even flinch or open my eyes. I don't want my existence to be noticed, you know. I'm not brave enough to prove if it's true or not by getting up and see what really happened back there.
If I hear something knocking for an hour, I'd open it because the noise would only annoy me and since my brain has this silly, logical way of thinking, I'd instantly think that it's a person.

If I do experience something creepy, I'll try to see those things for myself, I'm not really brave(Heck, Horror movies give me nothing but sleepless nights. So if you'd describe me, you can already cross out "Brave" on your list of adjectives.), just curious. XD
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#6 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@silverxblue: OHHH!!! I hope I have you that time!!! I know many places I want to try out!! Gah- okay, I cross brave from your adjectives. XDDD But I really do hope you're there, you know. And, oh, how much I want to check those places @_@
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by TsukiShima »

What? You keep redoing them? You're so hardworking Jam, don't worry, take your time! Though now I'm actually following your blog so I saw the progress a bit ;D

I-I don't really like scary-ghost movies. Some of them are just, out from the real one. Of course, I understand it's suppose to be fiction, but in my mind it would always be like; "What?! Ghosts don't do that in real life!"
But as far for me, I never saw spiritual things, and I don't want to.

I don't know... really... At that time, I was at horror, really. I was too afraid to find out, it didn't even cross in my mind that it might be an insect, I didn't want to see and icky monster ready to bite me. So I just let go out of fear. But then I keep thinking about it the whole day as well, what was that thing? Why did it crawl behind me? What would happened if I caught it? But I guess you can say it's natural instincts that acted that time, I didn't open the light because the switch is too far from me (remember I couldn't get up), and I'm not the kind who would shout, if I'm afraid or threaten, I'll just run or face it, probably because I'm not used to getting help. I was fearing the worse, it did bite my hand and neck, so it might bite my face? o_e
I guess that thing must be 'traveling' that time, because I didn't bother anything or went anywhere haunted, and my family is the resident of our house, and it didn't bother me anymore.

Y-Y-You... Stop haunting me.. You're already making a scary VN that might scare both of us, and I'm too weak to handle thrillers. I'm not the kind who would explore due to curiosity, I'll be the one running first lol (then those kind of people get killed in the movies xD)
And NOOO! NOT DEAD SPACE, BECAUSE MY FRIEND ALREADY SHOWED ME DEAD SPACE 2! It was at night too (why am I always watching those things at night? TAT) and it was really scary! Seeing that alien monsters killing all those people... I'll be traumatize if this goes on.. *sobs*

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#8 Post by JustAnotherMe »

You follow my blog?? It's not even a blog if I must say. Oh, maybe someday I'll edit it so it can feels more like a real blog @_@ *ashamed of my (blog?) Ugh... I'll try not to be such a perfectionist this time, because I just decided to just take free BGs and use some of them for my BG and CG. orz. (too much work on someone who doesn't have much time... and I want to fully release it... maybe in 7th august next year? I hope...) And, ah, just some update especially for you! It will be kind of a survival game too, so your decision will bring you to your own fate (yeah, you can die from the scary ghosts. And I promise to make it looks painful and scary... I hope)

Gahahahaha!! Then, what IF I give you some recommendations for some *logically* horror movies??? Would you watch it thennn?? Gnyagagagahahaha!!! *evil laugh. But, well, for me it's all just film after all. It's supposed to be stupid then you know that you're just watching unreal thing... I don't know if it's real, maybe I can't watch it then... You know, like the black market videos that have the sick abusing, or when there's a real video camera that shows a gruesome event? like yue yue ugh... not a horror, but something real that includes blood and cruel thing. Even fearful. I can't stand watching it after the first 5 seconds.

Hehehehe, I could see your point. Better be safe. But I have my braveness standard I think. If I ever hear a scary laughing voices just outside of my room, I won't even breath as long as I can. But if it's something like 'that'... I think my first reaction is slapping that thing off. Ugh...

Ohh, oh, oh. If that's the case, then I'll be sure to write and draw scary things (Godddd... help me...). I might even record my voice, acting as sadako with that a-a-a-a-a voice. I'm really glad I'm able to do that!!! I even motivated to do a little animation if it doesn't take too much time. XDDD Oh, I want to tell you every ghosts I'll make, but I won't even spoil the happiness I'll get when I can make you scared!! (But I promise not to put any scare jump... I hope. So rest assured!! XP)

Actually, I just know Dead Space from Mink who gave me the link to hear a nursery rhyme of ring around the rosie a la Dead Space, then after that I hear the twinkle twinkle one, and it gives me the idea of the lyric and how I want to make it sounds like... I hope it'll be real creepy...

Oh, oh! Just on a side note; it's not a creepy thing. It's just a fun game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn1GaaLh ... re=related
It really works!
Last edited by JustAnotherMe on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0.3 second lunch

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#9 Post by Sapphi »

Jeez the stories in this thread are creeping me out ;_;

I do believe in spiritual occurrences. I believe so strongly in them that you couldn't pay me to go ghost-hunting. I'm way too afraid a presence could follow me home ;____; (And my boss recently told me that a ghost-hunting crew visited the business right next to my house and there are apparently two spirits in there... orz)

Now... I haven't personally experienced anything like this, even though I live in a house that's 100+ years old, something happened to my little sister once. She was pretty young, probably about 5 or 6 years old. She was playing in her room on a regular afternoon when suddenly she ran downstairs screaming and crying. When my mom could finally console her, she told her "There's an eye on my wall." My mom managed to get her to forget about it but told me I wasn't allowed to talk to her about it because she didn't want her to get scared again. So, even today I don't like to go into my sister's room alone!

Oh yeah, and I live about half an hour from where this happened.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#10 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Sapphi: ah-ah-ah... I could really use this idea. Oh! Why did I forget about such craziness??? Oh, wow. Oh. @_@ *speechless

Guess I'm gonna try this one... THANKS SAPPHI XDDD

If something like an eye on the wall from a long time ago still creep you out... then I think you won't even step on a haunted house? But I heard that every house have an 'inhabitant'... If you know what I mean. :mrgreen: But then again, I heard that if you're stronger than the ghost, the ghost will run instead of you. I don't really know what this means I guess.
0.3 second lunch

realaniram
Regular
Projects: Shaeyu jun Ikkshaelun

#11 Post by realaniram »

I believe in those kinds of things because my family has a long history of being able to speak with ghosts. Paranormal things just follow us... An ancestor of mine in the 1800s or so blessed the area of the town they'd just founded because that area has monsters living nearby. I don't remember what they're called, but they're eight feet tall with skin that's so black they look like a cut out from the world in the shape of a huge man, and they have glowing crimson eyes. Sort of like shadow people but different. Anyway, they travel in the night and stop any travelers who are alone and devour them, then wear their skin.

On to shadow people, when I was around nine I had a shadow stand next to my bunk bed and just stare at me with his red eyes (I was on the top bunk so he was at least six and a half feet tall). He had an aura of pure terror, and I couldn't even breathe because I was so scared (I'm surprised I didn't piss the bed). I remembered my mom saying that spirits can't harm you if you don't let them, and I kept repeating 'I'm not afraid of you' over and over and passed out from the lack of oxygen. I woke up the next morning, freaked out but otherwise completely fine.

On a lighter note, for a while after he died my grandpa would visit me in my sleep when I was three. He always brought his little white dog bandit, too.

...I have a lot more stories to tell. xD Like I said, it runs in the family.
Shaeyu jun Ikkshaelun-- A work in progress.

Forever Newb

Funnyguts
Veteran

#12 Post by Funnyguts »

I've never seen a ghost, never been abducted by aliens, never noticed a magic spell, never heard the voices of any supposed deities or their messengers, or any of that sort. I did get a note from the Tooth Fairy once though. Her handwriting was too tiny to read.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#13 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

I've had a few instances where strange things happened without a proper explanation. They weren't super creepy, but strange nonetheless. Story time~!

One such instance was when I was vacationing with my family on a houseboat. It was the second day of the trip, and we found a nice cove to park the boat in. The weather was fine, we were having fun, everything was perfect. That is, until we found the mismatched shoe.
Along the side of the hill where we parked the boat, there was a peculiar sandal: open-toed and small, fit for a young child. And oddly enough, it appeared to belong to my cousin! We presented this shoe to her, thinking that she must have left it on the hill. She took one look at it, looked back at us, and said that it wasn't hers. Indeed, she wasn't missing one of her sandals. We decided to leave this shoe on the hill and not bother with it any longer.
And then night came. Winds howled fiercely, rocking the boat from side to side. We all sat huddled together in the living room, listening to radio reports of other boats being blown off course and requiring assistance. It was eerie and unpleasant; just before the sky was clear and beautiful! When it came time to go to bed, sleep failed to visit us.
Next morning arrived, and the world seemed at peace. Such a difference between this day and yesterday- there were hardly any signs of last night's storm. We could only think of one thing, and one thing only: that cursed shoe. It wasn't hard to find the thing again, and we examined it once more. It seemed like an ordinary shoe, but we knew better. Without needing to take much deliberation, we cast the wretched footwear over the hill! Good riddance!
The rest of that vacation went smoothly. We had fun. The end :3

So the moral of that story is to never pick up random shoes off the ground, even if they look like they belong to someone who's with you. I would chalk up that whole story to pure coincidence, but sometimes it's more fun to think something supernatural was the cause of it :wink:
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#14 Post by Omnificent »

I was kind of superstitious/mystical when I was a kid, mostly in terms of amulets and charms and objects being imbued with mystical powers. Like carrying around an interesting pebble for good luck. Ghosts have never been my thing, though.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#15 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I hate those ghost hunter or paranormal shows. They just annoy me with how staged they are and the ghost hunters usually just walk around in the dark scaring themselves over tiny noises. It is the same way I think psychics are full of crap.

So it may surprise you after I said all that, but I DO believe ghosts. I have had two strange and unexplainable things happen to me in my life:

1) When I was a child, I slept for 24 hours straight once. Exactly. My mother got very worried, and she said she had tried everything to wake me up - shaking me, throwing water on my face, etc. Finally she said she left me alone hoping I would wake up on my own, because I seemed to be breathing fine. I had a vivid dream that lasted for only 5 minutes (in the dream). It was perfectly real, and it involved a lot of details and me approaching the house I lived in while doing some very specific things. The dream turned terrifying when I saw the house, because it had burned down, and was a smoking ruin. Only one room hadn't burned completely down, the one I was sleeping in, and it had two walls still standing, the two with windows that framed my bed. In the center of the rubble were two large cross beams sticking out, forming a giant X. I screamed and woke up to find I had been asleep for a day.

That wouldn't have been so wierd, except the dream was so vivid, I always remembered it. Eventually we moved out of the house, and nearly ten years passed. One day, someone told me a house had burned down the night before on a street, and they wanted to go check it out and asked if I wanted to come along. I shrugged and said 'sure'. As we turned onto the street, I started noticing all these details about what I was holding, wearing, where I was sitting, things out the window, etc. I had an overpowering sense of deja vu. Then the house came into view and my blood ran cold. It was my old house, and it was a pile of rubble still smoking, and the only part still standing was my old room, the two walls framing where my bed had been, and in the center of it all, two giant cross beams, forming a giant X.

I don't know what happened. But for some reason, as a child I had dreamed the future as seen by my future self. It is my personal proof that there are unexplained forces at work in our world, whether unexplained science, or something else.

2) Second, and much more emotionally powerful for me, was after my best friend (who was also a family member) had died. Two weeks after I buried him, I'm standing in my room, staring out the window, still angry that the day has the audacity to be sunny and bright when I feel so awful. I turn and look back into my room, and my friend, the one who died, is sitting in my chair, grinning at me. I blink, look away, shake my head, and look again, and he's still there. He gives a little wave, and I'm overjoyed. I rush over to him, and start babbling about how I thought he was dead, and I was at his funeral, and how could he scare me like that, and why. He starts to talk and I cut him off, telling him he'll get to talk when I'm done being angry over him faking his death. He gets this sad, kind of wistful smile on his face, and cuts me off. "I'm sorry, but I am dead. I just stopped by to say good-bye."

Of course, at this point I'm devastated. It's almost like having him die again. He stands up, pats my shoulder, and starts walking past me. "Don't worry, everything will be fine. I'm happy, really I am, and we'll see each other again some day, I promise." I turn to follow him, and he's gone, just like that, leaving me standing in a bright sunlight room, same as before.

Maybe I was hallucinating, but I have no history of that sort of thing. It's never happened before or since. So I have a belief that ghosts are possible, I just don't put much stock in them sitting around waiting to scare camera crews by whispering into microphones. I have to believe the afterlife has more interesting things to do than that.