An Awesome Webcomic!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

Re: An Awesome Webcomic!

#31 Post by manga_otaku »

THAT WAS NOT FREAKIN' FUNNY T^T
I knew that the woman was going to turn around but no one said anything about her chasing after the girl and looking even more creepy
in the first comic.
The second one was...O.O
WHY WAS THERE A HAND!? My parents thought I was going crazy. >_<
I had quite a lot of shocks. I wouldn't say they were extremely crazy but it's the sudden animations I suppose.
Anyways, thanks for sharing LVUER :)
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

moxie
Regular

#32 Post by moxie »

The first nearly made me jump out of my skin. I was sitting on my bed, the top bunk, when the animation came on. My poor roommates also received quite a shock when I gave a little scream and jumped about a foot in the air. An unusual accomplishment, as I was sitting down at the time...
The second I was a bit more prepared for. Not wanting to leave life to chance, I got down off the top bunk to make sure I didn't accidentally jump off. :P
Thanks for sharing those. I got a good laugh out of my sister when I showed them to her.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#33 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Okay, so I thought since I love horror, I was prepared for this but then...the first one almost killed! I felt my heart jumping out from my chest. I never expected that and I would have never. The 2nd one didn't scared me much since I've had this "heart preparation".

Now I've got myself a proof that horror isn't fun without surprises! :lol: (<---I really shouldn't be lol-ing since I'm still receiving shock from blue lemma's sudden.... TT^TT)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#34 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Taleweaver wrote:I won't read this. As much as I like horror, I hate jump scares.
Ah, come on. In this comic's defense, you get ample build-up and warning and it is done very well. Really one of the most effective uses of a jump scare I've seen, since you know it's coming, you just don't know when.

The first link made me flinch very hard and hold my breath. Ever since the military and setting up ambushes, I've sort of been trained not to make noise when I'm surprised, but I came very close to letting out a little gasp with this one.

The second one wasn't very scary at all. All I thought was "neat effect".

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#35 Post by Sapphi »

salis wrote: And when watching the first animation of the first link for the first time, I frantically tried to scroll away, only to find my screen trapped on that panel until the animation was complete. I was freaking out in both a totally frightened and "how cool is that!" kind of way. XD Totally awesome.
Ahhh, I got all tense and tried to scroll away too... jeez, the first one was so scary that I'm too worried to look at the second one. (Somebody hold my hand! :lol: ) It wasn't just the jump scare, either, but the mangled limbs of the lady. That stuff really gives me the creeps...

By the way, my fellow artists, if you know the answer... how do you get that glow effect that's in the windows in the first panel of the first comic? Despite being CG art, it looks a lot like backlit cel art. This is an effect I desperately want to emulate with CG art but I can never seem to figure out how to do it.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sapphi wrote: By the way, my fellow artists, if you know the answer... how do you get that glow effect that's in the windows in the first panel of the first comic? Despite being CG art, it looks a lot like backlit cel art. This is an effect I desperately want to emulate with CG art but I can never seem to figure out how to do it.
You just asked that to make us have to go back and be scared again, didn't you?! :evil:

It is a simple effect to emulate. You just paint the windows a very hot yellow/white color, then go back in on a layer above that and with a soft-edged brush put down the same color, but overlapping the window frames however much you want. Then dial down the opacity for that layer to a very small amount until you get the effect you are looking for. Flatten the image and you are done.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Sapphi »

You didn't have to scroll all the way down again! :wink:

Okay, that's basically what I've been doing. I think the difference lies in their skill at making the light look like it's actually washing out the window frames. Thanks ^_^
But I still think there ought to be a "backlighting" program for computer animation. Special effects just ain't what they used to be...
— William Faulkner

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#38 Post by Mink »

Personally, as far as special effects go, I tend to prefer practical to CGI. But I'm pretty sure that doesn't really work here. >x>

Anyway, I don't think either comic is that bad, or even scary, really. I've seen worse. Waaay worse. But if you want to OD on jump scares, watch Drag Me To Hell.

Actually, come to think of it, why (in the first one),
was the woman having messy hair worse than how the woman was limping and her leg was at a weird angle? I'd be more freaked out by the fact the woman was walking with a leg that looks like it's broken.
Yes, of all things that is what I focus on.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sapphi wrote:You didn't have to scroll all the way down again! :wink:

Okay, that's basically what I've been doing. I think the difference lies in their skill at making the light look like it's actually washing out the window frames. Thanks ^_^
But I still think there ought to be a "backlighting" program for computer animation. Special effects just ain't what they used to be...
You can't have "backlighting" in computer animation. You can only go as far as the brightest white the monitor can display. Old anime that had the "backlighting" effect actually did it by scraping the physical film strips so the backlight of the projector would shine straight through.

Here, this link should help you as well. It is another way of getting a similar effect.

And what is with the tiny writing? Some of us are old and need glasses! :lol: Help preserve your fellow forum members eyes!

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Sapphi »

Yeah, I know you can't, but I still wish like a little kid that there was some magical way to do it. ;_; I'm hoping to go into animation and am sort of depressed that I was born in the "wrong era".

Thanks for that link! I've had no formal photoshop training so I usually flail around on those options until I find something I like.

Ah... that was something akin to "I'm saying this, but don't read it because it's silly." In the future I will try to keep my silliness at the normal font size. :)

And just so that this post isn't off topic, AHHH that second comic was scary! The special effect actually didn't scare me, but it was the reveal of what was wrong with the lady that gave me chills ;_;
— William Faulkner

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#41 Post by Talann »

Okay, after literally killing myself with these 2 meter jumps from these horror animations, my roommate snored like for the first time in her sleep. And, oh my god, what can I say, I LITERALLY PISSED MYSELF. It was like the end of the world... Because it was all quiet and all I could hear was my heartbeat and then she just literally snored. OMG. Can't get over it. Scariest moment.

Nayara NightRoo
Regular
Projects: The Curse

#42 Post by Nayara NightRoo »

Hey, thanks for this!!! I want to read them so badly! I'm not easily scared, but we'll see...
If you can't do anything, why do you worry? And if you can do something... why do you worry?
The Curse | Honest Critique