NDS game?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

NDS game?

#1 Post by JustAnotherMe »

urhm~ I don't know if this thing is the right place or not... feel free to move this if it's not...

So, guys, since I want to buy an NDS against my parents (I want to buy PSP, but I want to wait for PSVita), can you give me recommendation on good NDS games? XD
I will play otome games of course, so, Avalon Code, Princess Debut, Harvest Moon DS cute, Atelier Annie is already on my list!
Is there anything else? I play most of the type of game except shooting and racing and er.... soccer or basketball... but I don't mind horror and Resident Evil... (is there anything like this in DS? like Fatal Frame?)
And ah~ I really love RPG!! XD And simulation games? Like cooking mama or trauma center? Oh, and pokemon!! Which pokemon series do you think is the best? Red, Blue, Green, Silver, or what?

I hope I can buy them on January!!! after I'm out of this boring hospital

Oh! And one 'off topic' question: Do you know otome game in english in psp? Maybe a way to make it english or even engrish? I'm dying to play some psp otome games... but they're all in japanese...
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: NDS game?

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I've found the Fire Emblem series to be quite nice. I'm pretty interested in Tales of the Abyss, but that's for the 3DS, which I don't have, lol.

Edit: Oh, Rune Factory is good! I can't believe I forgot that, lol.

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#3 Post by Niki »

I'd recommend the Professor Layton series for the NDS -- it's a visual novel with puzzle elements, if you like that sort of thing C: For horror visual novels, try 999 which is a combination of VN gameplay and escape-the-room games.
Cooking Mama's awesome, though. It has great replay value so you might want to consider getting it :)
Image (devblog) || tumblr

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

Niki wrote:I'd recommend the Professor Layton series for the NDS -- it's a visual novel with puzzle elements, if you like that sort of thing C: For horror visual novels, try 999 which is a combination of VN gameplay and escape-the-room games.
Cooking Mama's awesome, though. It has great replay value so you might want to consider getting it :)
+1 for all of these.

(Also, avoid Lux Pain. It's pretty, but the localization was not so hot.)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#5 Post by Mink »

^I'm seconding what Sake-Bento said about Lux-Pain. If you ever learn Japanese, play that version because there's NO way it's worse than the English one. Ox<

Anyway, The World Ends With You* isn't half bad, once you get past the...interesting battle system. Also, Hotel Dusk. Hotel Dusk is a seriously underrated game.

*Or at least check out the soundtrack, which is pretty good on its own
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

The original DS seemed to have a string of unusual and fascinating games. It's amazing how many legit English games didn't fit into standard categories. And while a lot of the DS software was aimed at kids and parents, I didn't find this a problem. It seemed like a good alternative to the huge number of grimdark and fratcore games for other consoles.

As of this writing, there's only a handful of DS games still slated for release. And maybe a third of them aren't licensed games based on TV shows or movies. But this is kind of good for customers, since the majority of DS games are easy to find, and do not cost more than they should.

Justanotherme asked for some DS horror games. The following games are available in English. Unfortunately, I have only heard about these, so I can't tell about about their quality:

* Theresia (released by Aksys Games)
* 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (horror VN)
* the two Dementium games
* Last Window (the follow-up to Hotel Dusk. One of the few UK exclusives, but very import friendly. Will work with any DS system)

It's only thanks to fans that Nanashi no Game (The Nameless Game) from Square Enix was translated. It's a horror game which apparently didn't test well with audiences.

Regarding the PSP... there's a lot of potentially good visual novels and cute games, but as you said, almost none of them have been translated. I've heard that companies had a great deal of difficulty selling even the most mainstream PSP games, even back when the console was new. I wish I could verify if that's accurate.

After it became clear that the PSP's lifespan was pretty much over, Aksys licensed the reverse harem story Hakuouki. The company and Idea Factory had been talking with fans about licensing a reverse harem game. I was somewhat surprised that Hakuouki was chosen, since as far as I know, it doesn't include complex gameplay. From reading an interview or two, it seems that Aksys chose this particular title since it's a story with quite a bit of violence, and since it doesn't have a cute aesthetic.

Having said that, no other company is currently talking about romance games on PSP. And there's few options in English for other game consoles. If you want more than one otome game in English, then the best systems would be computers and iOS devices.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#7 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Oh, have you tried the Phoenix Wright series? It's pretty good.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#8 Post by Niki »

gekiganwing wrote: Justanotherme asked for some DS horror games. The following games are available in English. Unfortunately, I have only heard about these, so I can't tell about about their quality:

* Theresia (released by Aksys Games)
* 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (horror VN)
* the two Dementium games
* Last Window (the follow-up to Hotel Dusk. One of the few UK exclusives, but very import friendly. Will work with any DS system)
Good lord, Theresia... I never finished it /wimp Mostly because I was restricted to playing my NDS secretly under the covers at night and I couldn't stand how fast the background would move when you walked and dkafjlasdfjlaskf
I guess that means it's a good horror game ^^;

Last Window isn't really a horror game though... More of a mystery? Though it's creepy in certain aspects C:
Image (devblog) || tumblr

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

Well, the best Pokemon game for me is either White or Diamond. I don't know I just found it less boring than the other Pokemon games.

And I'm going to +1 on the whole Ace Attorney series.I could go on and on about how good it is, but I'm afraid that you'll have to face a huge wall of text. ^^:

And then there's Shin Megami Tensei:Devil Survivor, it's an RPG but it's also kind of a Visual Novel because there are a lot of texts and there are multiple endings, but I have to warn you, it's pretty hard especially when you're fighting bosses.

Oh and there's also Ghost trick: Phantom Detective, I haven't played it myself, but some people say it's really good.

As for otome games, both TMGS 1 and 2 have been fan-translated already.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

I have NDS so I could recommend lots of good NDS games... but buying NDS at this time of day? Really, I highly suggest that you don't. Don't buy it now. If it's yesteryear, then it's ok. But now? You'd better be patient and wait for PS Vita to be launched. There should be a price drop for PSP (and hopefully, N3DS and/or NDS too).

Again, if you want to buy PSP, you'd better wait for PS Vita. If you want PS Vita, I'd recommend you to wait several months after its launch.

Whichever you choose, IMO, right now is not a good time to buy a new handheld console.

Anyway, if you insist on buying NDS, then here's my list:

- Avalon Code is a good game, buy that if you like Action RPG
- Resident Evil DS is pretty good. Buy it if you haven't played RE1 for PS to the death.
- Princess Debut sucks, don't buy it, really... It only good for several hours and after that, capital boring.
- Harvest Moon DS is ok. Buy it if you love Harvest Moon game and haven't play any other modern version to the death. If I'm not mistaken, this one have more girls (about 8-10?)so it should be ok... But please remember that Natsume release new Harvest Moon game almost each year. So you might want to look for a newer Harvest Moon game.
- Rune Factory is another good game. It combines Dungeon exploring RPG segment into Harvest Moon, and it's in 3D. So buy it if you do love RPG games... and Harvest Moon game. Remember that there is Rune Factory 2 for NDS.
- Atelier Annie is a good game. It's a decent Atelier game with focus to developing island (kinda like Atelier Meruru). A definite buy if you like Atelier game (like me, hehehe...)

- Trauma Center (1&2), officially it's a sim/VN, but in reality, it's more to fast-paced arcade operation game (with minimal VN elements). It's very hard and fast. Don't buy it if you have slow reflex or slow finger.
- If you prefer the slower one, try Hospital Affair. It's ofen compared to Trauma Center and doesn't sell well because it's very Visual Novel, not an operation sims. Well, they are right but that doesn't mean this one is a bad game. It's slow paced and the operation section is not as hectic as Trauma Center. It also have 3 endings and 3 date-able heroines.
- Cooking Mama series is a must for any NDS owner. It's pure fun. There are Cooking Mama 1-3 and the latest being Camping Mama which is a spin off (Cooking Mama 4 would be released in N3DS). Go straight to Cooking Mama 3. You wouldn't miss much by not playing the prequel.
- I don't play Pokemon that much... But all pokemon play more or less the same, and completing them all would take a good chunk of your life. It's a good game and a good fun... if you love Pokemon game that is. Just play the latest Pokemon (Black and White). You won't miss much by not playing the prequel too.
- Another must have game for NDS owner is Phoenix Wright series. There are Phoenix Wright 1-3, Apollo Justice, Milesedgeworth Investigation 1&2 (but the second game is still in Japanese). You have to buy them all if you are a VN lover... which I think you are, since you're in this forum.
- If you love Phoenix Wright series, then you have to buy Ghost Trick. It's from the same creator. You'd definitely love it. It's very original and have a good story.
- For VN lover, you'll also want to consider CING's game: Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and Last Windows. They're all VN with emphasis on creative puzzle that utilize all NDS features (touch screen, mics, dual screen, etc).
- 999 (9 People, 9 Doors, 9 Hours) is another must title for VN lovers. It's a bit heavy, dark, and gory... but otherwise it's an great game with excellent story. Two words, BUY IT.

- If you love sci-fi space RPG, try Infinite Space. It have excellent story and good spaceship building mechanism, but it involves lots of grinding...
- Suikoden Tierkreis is also another to consider if you love RPG. Being the only Suikoden in NDS, you don't have much option... It's Suikoden, so you know what you'll get, right? 108 characters. This time, the story spans multiple dimensions. And from what I know, this one is spin-off and doesn't have connection with main series timeline/story.
- Chrono Trigger is remade in NDS, so if you haven't played Chrono Trigger 30 times too many (I did) you'll probably want to try this one. NDS version uses PSX remake version so you'll get FMV along with additional dungeon and some minor bonus feature.
- Again, there are multiple remake version of early Final Fantasy in NDS. They have flashier 3D graphics, but it still the old traditional RPG, so you may not like it. It's FF so you know what you'll get.
-Radiata Historia is a must-get RPG for NDS. It's traditional RPG blends with modern one. It's like Chrono Trigger since it uses time-travelling concepts... and it's good in use that concept. Buy it, it's a MUST.
- If you love sim dating game, NDS have Tokimeki Memorial for girls series. But it's all in Japanese. I heard they make English patch but I haven't try it yet...
- NDS also have the notoriously famous Love Plus (and Love Plus Plus). If you have flash cartridge, you could "patch" the game and you could play it in ENGLISH >_< Don't end up marrying this game, 'k?

- If you love Okami in PS2 or Wii, then try Okami-den. It's a good game and this time you finally get to use stylus to use the magic ink. But don't compare Okami-den with its PS2 counterpart, you'll be disappointed (like me...)
- I know you don't like sports game, but you should at least try Inazuma Eleven (1-3, 1 is alrady localized). It's very RPG and it's very dramatic, with people can shoot like a cannon ball and the keeper have god hand moves. It plays not like Fifa or Winning 11. Instead you draw line/tap where the player should run, pass, and shoot. So it's more like strategy game.
- If you love robots/mecha and strategy, you'd want to try Super Robot Taisen (W/K/L). You could find various mecha from various anime in this game, like Wing Gundam, Jeeg, Mazinger, Getter Robo, Virtuaroids, etc.

- Unfortunately, there's no Fatal Frame in NDS. Fatal Frame 1-3 is in PS2 (and XBOX) and the fourth is in Wii. That's it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#11 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

LVUER wrote: - If you love Phoenix Wright series, then you have to buy Ghost Trick. It's from the same creator. You'd definitely love it. It's very original and have a good story.
- 999 (9 People, 9 Doors, 9 Hours) is another must title for VN lovers. It's a bit heavy, dark, and gory... but otherwise it's an great game with excellent story. Two words, BUY IT.
- If you love sci-fi space RPG, try Infinite Space. It have excellent story and good spaceship building mechanism, but it involves lots of grinding...
- Chrono Trigger is remade in NDS, so if you haven't played Chrono Trigger 30 times too many (I did) you'll probably want to try this one. NDS version uses PSX remake version so you'll get FMV along with additional dungeon and some minor bonus feature.
Seconding ALL of these:

Ghost Trick is an utterly amazing puzzle game with hilarious and very well written characters.

9p9d9h was actually made by the creators of the Infinity series of visual novels - these being Ever 17, Remember 11, and the first one I can never remember the name of. Ever 17 is one of the best VN's I've ever had the pleasure of reading, and 999 follows in the Infinity VN's in making your head hurt something wonderful.

Infinite Space is notable in the way that it bucks most of the absurd and annoying trends of Japanese RPG characters: the crew of your ship is almost always much more rational and mature than you'd expect from this kind of game.

Chrono Trigger is, in my opinion, the single greatest RPG of the SNES era, and I don't say that lightly.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#12 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@_@ woooooowwwww... so many games... I'll just buy all of those

One question regarding PSVita: Is the PSP games can be played in PS Vita?
And: what should I buy? N3DS or NDSLite?
To use the patch in NDS, should I use a software or something? or should I just ask someone to do that?
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#13 Post by TsukiShima »

JustAnotherMe wrote:One question regarding PSVita: Is the PSP games can be played in PS Vita?
YES! It's like you can play PS2 games in PS3, but you can't play PS3 games in PS2. PS Vita is an upgrade version of PSP, I read somewhere they said it was supposedly to be named PSP 2, but it was renamed to VITA. Beside, it sounds nicer. I know all these things because I own a PSP and I love it ever since. When PS Vita is coming out in my country, I'll be sure to buy it! (It's already out in Japan)

What I like about PSP is that you can just download most available games, and well, it's Portable.

I'm not very sure about NDS stuff because I don't own it (though I really want it because most Harvest Moon games are there)..

Genie06

#14 Post by Genie06 »

GBA
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
The Legend of Zelda the Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

NDS
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball
The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks
Picross 3d
Scribblenauts
Super Scribblenauts

Seven
Regular

#15 Post by Seven »

About NDS games,if you like mystery/horror games,you can try Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.
If you like adventure games,you can try Golden Sun Dark Dawn.
Phoenix Wright series is good too. :)