NDS game?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

Re: NDS game?

#16 Post by Desu_Cake »

Magical Starsign <- Most underrated NDS game I've come across, and it's awesome.

As for N3DS vs NDSLite, I'd suggest the lite if you want to play GBA games on it, but otherwise I'd say go for the 3DS, since most new games will be coming out exclusively for it. Unless of course you're broke as the lite is cheaper :V

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#17 Post by manga_otaku »

Desu_Cake wrote:Magical Starsign <- Most underrated NDS game I've come across, and it's awesome.
I second this one.

Also, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil's Survivor - this game is awesome. It has a battle system implemented with a RPG-base to it. Befriending demons and getting them to fight with you and everything? Hell yeah!
Phoenix Wright games are a must! As well as the spin-offs with Apollo Justice and then the Miles Edgeworth Investigations...
I'd say Monster Racers is also quite fun, as well as Digimon World: Dusk (or Dawn). It's like Pokemon, but instead of catching Pokemon, you battle Digimon, collecting their data until you can DigiConvert it to get the one you want...it's easier to understand once you have it xD Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is also a must. I mean, you play as a Pokemon!

There are way more in my head, but I can't think of it right now. Hmm...I'll get back to you xD
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Weakjounin
Veteran

#18 Post by Weakjounin »

The World Ends With You :D It's my favourite NDS game :D
might not be your cup of tea, but I'm still throwing it out there, but someone already mentioned it. So I'm just enforcing that suggestion.
The battle system isn't that hard to master, and the art style is really fun :D (My DP/Avatar's style is based on the twewy style)

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#19 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Urmmm~ I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've made a list, and it turn out to be this:
Atellier Annie
Harvest Moon DS Cute
Avalon Code
Princess Debut
Trauma Center
The world end with you
Pokemon Black and White
Cooking mama
Lost in Blue 3
Magician's Quest
Lunar Dragon Song
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Shin Megami Tensei: strange journey
Witch's tale
Suikoden: Tierkreis
Etrian Odyssey 1,2,3
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Sands of Destruction
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja (and number 2)
Rune Factory
Professor Layton
Fire Emblem
Disgaea DS
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Hoshigami Remix: Ruining Blue Earth
Infinite Space
Wizard of Oz
Legend of Zelda
ragnarok
Soma Bringer
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Innocence
Phoenix Wright series (or Ace Attorney?)
Hotel Dusk
Last Window
theresia
scribblenauts
Luminous Arc series
Tokimeki Memorial Girl's side 1 and 2 (english patch)
ghost trick phantom detective
resident evil
Lifesigns: hospital affairs
trace memory
Chrono Trigger
Radiant Historia
Okami
princess in love
imagine ballet star
Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns
My Sims Kingdom
Tales series
Lufia: curse of the sinistrals
Golden sun dark dawn
magical starsign

maybe?

As for the N3DS vs NDS Lite, the problem is: all the 3D game is more, more expensive than the usual one. I can buy both N3DS and PSVita right now (if there's one already) but I can't afford too expensive games @_@ And N3DS can't play the GB. But... urhhh~ considering that the future games will be released in N3DS... But isn't N3DS is still the first generation? Is it really a must to buy N3DS? (I heard that N3DS will be compatible with Wii through wi-fi or something)
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#20 Post by manga_otaku »

I swear N3DS can still play NDS games all you can turn the 3D feature on and off - which is just normal NDS then isn't it? Hmm...
You could always get the NDSi instead Lol.

There are other ways to play NDS games if you find them too expensive. For example, emulators online or flash karts (R4, TT, etc)
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#21 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Isn't NDSLite is more advanced than NDSi? errr~ sorry if wrong~
Ah, not the DS games, but the GBA games. I can play GBA games on NDS, but not with N3DS. Isn't it? I'm thinking to use the emulator or flash kart too...
0.3 second lunch

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#22 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

LVUER wrote:I have NDS so I could recommend lots of good NDS games... but buying NDS at this time of day? Really, I highly suggest that you don't. Don't buy it now. If it's yesteryear, then it's ok. But now? You'd better be patient and wait for PS Vita to be launched. There should be a price drop for PSP (and hopefully, N3DS and/or NDS too).
If JustAnotherMe wants a 3DSiXLite covered in blinking LED rhinestones, then it's worth waiting for the PS Vita to start nudging prices down, but for a plain vanilla DS I'd just wait until the day after Christmas (as people who got 3DSes will be dumping their old consoles.), assuming that Christmas is popular in her country or shipping is cheap enough to make international market prices relevant.

On games themselves:
Thirding and fourthing recommendations for Infinite Space and The World Ends With You. I'm surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned The Dark Spire yet. If you like turn-based dungeon crawls, get it.
I enjoyed Rune Factory (for exactly the same reason that some other harvest moon players hated it. I like dungeons.). There were a couple of crash bugs in it, though.

I was underwhelmed by Dokapon Journey and Spectrobes as games, though Spectrobes' use of absolutely *every single* input device that the DS has, up to and including the punch card reader, was impressive. Don't get Dokapon Journey for multiplayer - at least in the single-cart mode, it's crashy.
manga_otaku wrote:I swear N3DS can still play NDS games all you can turn the 3D feature on and off - which is just normal NDS then isn't it? Hmm...
You could always get the NDSi instead Lol.

There are other ways to play NDS games if you find them too expensive. For example, emulators online or flash karts (R4, TT, etc)
Back when I wanted an R4 (I wanted to attempt NDS development, but plonking down the money for a devkit when I don't even know if the game would be technically feasible struck me as stupid), I looked around for one a fair bit and couldn't find anyone selling the things who wasn't a crook. I doubt that this has changed that much.

DS Emulators are kind of pointless IMO - the point of the DS is the portability; if I want to play on my desktop, I'll get a better experience from a game designed for the desktop, or at least for a large non-folding screen.
JustAnotherMe wrote:Isn't NDSLite is more advanced than NDSi? errr~ sorry if wrong~
Ah, not the DS games, but the GBA games. I can play GBA games on NDS, but not with N3DS. Isn't it?
I *think* the DSLite is just a slightly smaller version of the DS without the GBA slot, and the DSi is the one with the online features (and maybe a camera?) added. I'm not certain, though - mine's a plain DS.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#23 Post by teacup »

Spiky Caterpillar wrote:I *think* the DSLite is just a slightly smaller version of the DS without the GBA slot, and the DSi is the one with the online features (and maybe a camera?) added. I'm not certain, though - mine's a plain DS.
The DSLite is a smaller version of the regular DS with brighter screen. It's more compact and less clunky. It actually does have a GBA slot. :)
The DSi and DSiXL are newer than the DSLite. They're essentially the same as DS Lite but, as you said, have online features, a camera, and a better start-screen menu. The DSiXL has much, MUCH larger screens . They cannot, however, play GBA games. 3DS removed the GBA slot too.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#24 Post by JustAnotherMe »

munyyyaa~ now I'm confused which one I should buy. The NDSLite is so much more cheaper than the NDSiXL... though the screen is larger... (I don't have many use for the camera though... except if there's a game that need that camera...) If I want to buy NDSiXL, I'd rather buy an N3DS... urrrrr~ I'm so so so so sooooo confused!!!
Dokaponnn~ urrr, I won't buy the multiplayer then...

anyway, is patapon good?
0.3 second lunch

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#25 Post by teacup »

JustAnotherMe wrote:munyyyaa~ now I'm confused which one I should buy. The NDSLite is so much more cheaper than the NDSiXL... though the screen is larger... (I don't have many use for the camera though... except if there's a game that need that camera...) If I want to buy NDSiXL, I'd rather buy an N3DS... urrrrr~ I'm so so so so sooooo confused!!!
Dokaponnn~ urrr, I won't buy the multiplayer then...

anyway, is patapon good?
I'd only recommend DS Lite if the ability to play GBA games is important to you. Otherwise, I think DSiXL or 3DS is the best choice. I like the DSiXL best solely because of the big screen - it really does make that big of a difference. The camera and internet features, however, are pretty much useless. They're cool at first, but honestly, there isn't much use for them.
You probably just have to weigh the pros and the cons to make your choice.

Ds Lite Pros
1. It's cheapest
2. You can play GBA games on it

3DS Pros
1. 3D [obviously XD]
2. Analogue stick
3. New games not on Dsi
4. Backwards compatibility with DS games

The DSi XL Pros:
1. Bigger, brighter screens
2. Better battery life
3. Cheaper than 3DS
4. No 3D to give you a headache/brain damage [okay it doesn't really give brain damage, but I have gotten headaches from the 3D before =w=]

The new games is probably the only thing that makes 3DS better than DsiXL.
Hopefully, this help you make a decision! XD

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#26 Post by papillon »

Also remember that the DSi is region-locked. It doesn't matter in the vast majority of cases because it only applies to DSi-only games (unlike the 3DS which is region-locked at all times, which is why I don't own one) but if you get a DSi hoping to use the funky camera features, you should be warned that any game which *uses* DSi features will only run on specific consoles.

If you enjoy Japanese games, the 3DS is a waste of money - you won't be able to play.

If you like being able to buy games that only came out in Europe, or only came out in the US, don't buy the 3DS.

If you travel a lot, don't buy the 3DS.

In fact, in general, DO NOT BUY THE 3DS.

... I'm not bitter or anything.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#27 Post by Mink »

^...Lol. I'm still getting a 3DS.(I have a NDSLite, anyway) And if the 3D bugs me, it's not like I can't, you know, turn it off.

*If you're questioning me getting a 3DS when I plan to keep my old one, it's because the NDSLite is old. Years old. And a hand-me-down from a friend. And it still works; I mean, I even kept my old Xbox.

Edit: Funnily enough, I don't want a PSVita. At all. Considering what happened to the PSPgo (which I didn't buy, because screw you 'download only'), I'd rather wait and see what happens.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#28 Post by papillon »

I literally couldn't tell you which games in my DS collection came from which country because I travel that much. (Except the Japanese ones which are pretty obvious. OUENDAN!) Region-locking is bizarre for a portable system.

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#29 Post by SilverHyena »

I highly recommend Princess Debut if you're into otome games. In it you swap places with a princess in a magical realm and dance with some good looking guys. Yeah, it's kind of for younger girls, but it's a really well made game. I've got to say it ended up being one of my favorites. I replay it all the time.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#30 Post by JustAnotherMe »

unnnyyaaa~ then- then I think I should buy an NDSiXL? There's a DSi game only right?? @_@ one thing that I'll be scared is when the games will be all out in 3Ds... that'd be... heart-breaking... Q^Q
@SilverHyena: don't worry, I've put it in my list. Oh otome games~ why are you so hard to be found???
@papillon: ...I envy you... for travelling much... I'm so sure region-locking would be a real pain in the a** if you travel that much @_@
0.3 second lunch