WiP Questionnaire

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
NickelBuckle9
Regular
Completed: MiniBot
Projects: Ah! Peku, Pokemon Trainer Game (untitled)

Re: WiP Questionnaire

#61 Post by NickelBuckle9 »

Just throwing in my two cents...

I think that mod approval, guidelines, or requirements to be met are all good ideas for the WIP forum. As several other users have stated, questionnaires have the potential to be annoying, as well as limit the ability to have unique layouts in forum posts. Guidelines or requirements to posting would be appreciated and would inform new users of the correct way to use the WIP forum.

In all honesty, I think the main problem is new/occasional users don't realize that it is bothersome or annoying for more regular users when unrefined "ideas" are posted. There does not seem to be any strict guidelines that specify what a "Work in Progress" truly is, or what is unacceptable or annoying.

My post about a Pokemon Trainer Dress Up Game was moved to the Skills Development forum a few days ago, when, in my opinion, it is a work in progress (sorry PyTom, I have to disagree with you). I have every intent to finish the game, multiple images are posted, I update the first post when I make progress, and I explained myself and my intents. I aim to release the dress-up aspect as a separate game before I try and incorporate it into a story, as stated. As of this moment, even though unstated on the forum, I have all the code written and it's a fully functioning dress up game, made entirely with Ren'py script. I could upload it as a finished game if I so pleased... sure, it'd only have 4 outfits, but there is 5 skin tones, 4 pokeballs, 25 hairstyles, and 6 haircolors. In my opinion, that's more than enough to be considered a fully functional game, and probably has more options than several Flash based dress up games on the web.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 26&t=13085

My point? Why is it not considered a "Work in Progress"? What is unacceptable or unsuitable to the WIP forum? I truly don't know and I would like some clarification. I've added an intro to describe the basic plot of the game, but even without it, a dress up game IS a game. It really doesn't even need a story.

I'm just trying to make a point that there are many different types of games; After reading all the posts here, and my personal experience, it seems as though only dating/heavily text based stories are encouraged or appreciated on the WIP thread. Sure, VNs are the most common with Ren'py, and they require the most attention and critiques in order to improve, but does that mean every other type of game is unfit and doesn't have a place on the Works in Progress thread?

Writers want to play games with lots of text and a well thought out story, such as Serenity Frost. ...I am an artist and try to make games that are entertaining to play without the use of much written text or a complicated plot.

When it comes down to it, what is unacceptable or annoying about the posts in the WIP thread? Is it because some posts seem to lack a serious attitude? or do new users appear to be getting in over their heads? What was it that caused my thread to be moved? I have a finished game under my belt (MiniBot), and I've been on this site and working with ren'py for almost 2 years: I'm obviously not a noob, but still have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly. Please, by all means, let me know what I'm doing wrong and be brutally honest.

:]

I think in general, most people just don't know what they're doing wrong.
Completed Projects:
* MiniBot *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6Ru9-vlic
(Check video details for download links)
http://nickel-buckle-9.deviantart.com/

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#62 Post by PyTom »

NickelBuckle9 wrote: My post about a Pokemon Trainer Dress Up Game was moved to the Skills Development forum a few days ago, when, in my opinion, it is a work in progress (sorry PyTom, I have to disagree with you). I have every intent to finish the game, multiple images are posted, I update the first post when I make progress, and I explained myself and my intents. I aim to release the dress-up aspect as a separate game before I try and incorporate it into a story, as stated. As of this moment, even though unstated on the forum, I have all the code written and it's a fully functioning dress up game, made entirely with Ren'py script. I could upload it as a finished game if I so pleased... sure, it'd only have 4 outfits, but there is 5 skin tones, 4 pokeballs, 25 hairstyles, and 6 haircolors. In my opinion, that's more than enough to be considered a fully functional game, and probably has more options than several Flash based dress up games on the web.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 26&t=13085

My point? Why is it not considered a "Work in Progress"? What is unacceptable or unsuitable to the WIP forum? I truly don't know and I would like some clarification. I've added an intro to describe the basic plot of the game, but even without it, a dress up game IS a game. It really doesn't even need a story.
LSF is a forum for visual novels and story-based games - rather than arbitrary game development projects. We don't have a clear definition of what a story-based game is - but a "pure" dress up game probably isn't it.

On the original post, there wasn't any story - just a series of sprite sheets - so the game being made didn't seem appropriate for WiP. I moved it to skill development because it seemed like the right place for sprite sheets. A story-based dress-up game is something we'd allow - but to be a WiP post, you need to address how you will combine the two into a single game. If you can do that, I'll be happy to move your thread back into WiP.

I have to admit - I didn't actually think about this when I made the move. Without any story in it, I thought it was simply a post that had been posted to the wrong forum, and that moving it was an uncontroversial housekeeping matter.

Finally, let me point out that I am a fallible human - and although I don't want to put words in peoples' mouths, I suspect the same is true of the rest of the team. If you think I made a mistake in moderation, ask me about it - it's possible I made a mistake, or can at least provide an explanation of my thinking.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

NickelBuckle9
Regular
Completed: MiniBot
Projects: Ah! Peku, Pokemon Trainer Game (untitled)

#63 Post by NickelBuckle9 »

PyTom wrote: LSF is a forum for visual novels and story-based games - rather than arbitrary game development projects. We don't have a clear definition of what a story-based game is - but a "pure" dress up game probably isn't it.

On the original post, there wasn't any story - just a series of sprite sheets - so the game being made didn't seem appropriate for WiP. I moved it to skill development because it seemed like the right place for sprite sheets. A story-based dress-up game is something we'd allow - but to be a WiP post, you need to address how you will combine the two into a single game. If you can do that, I'll be happy to move your thread back into WiP.
Ok, thank you for replying PyTom!

As I've said, I think one of the main problems is many users, including myself, sometimes don't know what exactly what is being done incorrectly. From a standard/occasional user's point of view, it would definitely be beneficial to many users to state what is expected in the "read before posting" thread. I'm all for structure and eliminating threads that just crowd up forums. :D

However, it can be frustrating to see your threads moved if you are uncertain as to why it was moved. Maybe its just me, but when it happens, I feel slightly embarrassed and hope that the site mods don't think I'm intentionally trying to spam or don't read the rules, haha. ^^ (I hope you don't think that of me! I'm just trying to provide some insight from a general person's point of view)

I know that I didn't include any real mention of a story in my original post, and I'm perfectly fine keeping the thread in the skill development section. To be honest, games without stories don't really need any criticism other than suggestions in art or what styles to add anyways.

I just wanted to clear up that part of the problem that regulars and mods are experiencing is probably due to new users and their lack of knowing what is expected.
Completed Projects:
* MiniBot *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6Ru9-vlic
(Check video details for download links)
http://nickel-buckle-9.deviantart.com/

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#64 Post by sheetcakeghost »

I'm beginning to think that we might benefit by having more than one WiP forum. Or request that there be labels put in the topics title so you can tell exactly what sort of game it's going to be from a glance. "Dating Sim - Roses for Hire", "Visual Novel - The Boorish Ballads of Bickles the Bard", "Shop Sim - Paper or Magic?", "Visual Novel Making Sim - Eileen's Got an Idea!", etc.