Princess Maker

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Princess Maker

#16 Post by papillon »

The entire concept of abandonware and whether it's legal or not is complicated and varies by jurisdiction. Last that the guy who worked on the project was interviewed about it, at least, he officially stated that it isn't really legal to play that floating-around version. I wouldn't scold anyone for having the english beta, but it's probably best not to link to it here either. I expect it's not hard to find if someone really wants to.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#17 Post by ririruetoo »

True, if only the makers would legally release a localized verison, it would make fan's of the games life a lot easier....But I don't think that's ever going to happen....
ImageImageImage

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#18 Post by Blue Lemma »

@Otome: Haha, no no, honest mistake that wasn't even technically against the rules anyway since it was just a file tool. No ban :)

@Taleweaver: I don't think there's any big distinction between illegal "warez" and abandonware, at least in the United States. I'm guessing Europe, too, though I could be wrong on all this. The only thing I can imagine being relevant from a legal standpoint (and I'm not a lawyer so I'm probably just blowing smoke here) would be that it might be harder to show "damages" in a civil suit if the game isn't even being sold anymore and the company is under. Maybe. Or not. I submit that as a mere possibility that may or may not have any basis in reality *legal disclaimer paranoia*
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#19 Post by Taleweaver »

Blue Lemma wrote:@Taleweaver: I don't think there's any big distinction between illegal "warez" and abandonware, at least in the United States.
You're right, there isn't. The problem with PM2 specifically is outlined here.

Okay, so there's that English-language beta version. There is no one who could legally sell me that version, not even the people who made the original. The Japanese version is useless to me, so just buying that one won't help either. There is no one who could legally sell me what I want to buy, not even second-hand.

Abandonware may be copyright infringement, but in the case of PM2, I'd have absolutely no qualms against getting it over these channels.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#20 Post by OtomeWeekend »

lol, got my hands on the psp ver of pm4 (i had the pm4 in ds which is no-voiced), *drools* its nothing different in the ds but the voices....*_* (was a big fan of takahiro sakurai who voiced the white prince in the game)...

I have to be honest but with pm4's graphics, pm5's style is kinda disappointing its not bad but same with the other games before . :(

EDIT: Oh shoot! Forgot that pm4 was developed by a different company...which explains the huge difference! Dx

(trying to be on-topic since i just noticed the topic totally changed direction).
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER »

I really need to learn how to read Japanese (T__T) There are so many good games out thereeeeee!!!
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#22 Post by Blue Lemma »

@Taleweaver: Yeah, there's legal issues and then moral issues... As an admin, though, I have to worry about the legal ones.

Un-adminly, I don't see playing PM2 as being morally wrong. Legally, I have to say "Bad! No links!"
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Blue Lemma wrote:@Taleweaver: Yeah, there's legal issues and then moral issues... As an admin, though, I have to worry about the legal ones.

Un-adminly, I don't see playing PM2 as being morally wrong. Legally, I have to say "Bad! No links!"
this cracked me up.lol.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#24 Post by kara24601 »

I have some mixed feelings about the PM series but overall I love them. It's too bad that nothing was officially brought over especially the first and other games. Unfortunately they are expensive! Sigh. I do so love looking at stuff online about the games though and reading translations and such. Since they never went ahead with "karen" 's story that's why at least three of of my PM-like games will have the main girl (that you raise) will have Black hair and one of her names you can "spin" (if you choose to go with one of the "default" names) will be Karen.

If they would just take out the rape crap in PM2 (covered in suit during various ages when she goes swimming or sunbathing on vacation) and release G rated and then PG rated (nudity intact for those who don't take issue with nudity of a made up character :roll: :wink: ) versions then it'd be cool for the states.

<rant> People need to stop putting rape crap in everything, especially games like these. *sighs* </rant>

And yes, please do check out http://www.hanakogames.com/ for PM-like games. (cute knight and cute knight kingdom are similar in some ways to the PM series)

Ramidel
Regular

#25 Post by Ramidel »

Princess Maker is made by Studio Gainax...

And yeah, there's no difference between abandonware and warez, legally speaking. (IANAL and all) There may be situations, however, where nobody can sue over a piece of abandonware because nobody owns the license.