Remembering Amie

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

Remembering Amie

#1 Post by lunasspecto »

I announce "Remembering Amie", a very brief kinetic novel. I was asking for art for this in the Works In Progress forum, but then I changed my mind and put it together using public domain images from Wikimedia Commons (and some graphics work of my own). The result is rather minimalistic and... I'll let you check it out for yourselves. Here's a screenshot:
Screenshot from "Remembering Amie"
Screenshot from "Remembering Amie"
amie.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
and here are some download links: The story is about Francis, who, on the cusp of adulthood, remembers his childhood friend Amie.
Last edited by lunasspecto on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Re: Remembering Amie

#2 Post by Der Tor »

I loved the story (very philosophical, very surreal - i love that)... the artwork an music was great too... except of course Francis and Amie look like those little symbols on restrooms :?

I couldn't find an artist either - but restroom icons are really the LAST thing to resort to. :mrgreen:

also
if it ever gets listed on the Ren'Ai Archive, i REALLY wonder what category they gonna place it into :P

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#3 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Der Tor wrote:I loved the story (very philosophical, very surreal - i love that)... the artwork an music was great too... except of course Francis and Amie look like those little symbols on restrooms :?

I couldn't find an artist either - but restroom icons are really the LAST thing to resort to. :mrgreen:
Actually (without spoiling...) the use of very abstract images for the characters makes sense....

Also, the "restroom icons" gives me a nice concept ( concept, not WIP, I never talk about WIP until I'm pretty sure I can release at least a beta, because I dislike vaporware...) whose I like to share, namely that in not few places, at least here in italy, restrooms are facing opposite the other, esp. along corridors... so generally, the two icons can have a face-to face conversation about their respective guests, and perhaps fell in love, notwithstanding the distance (for a painted icon, even a narrow corridor is an unpassable distance..)
How about a impromptu silly-acronym ren'ai/VN competition ? (ReRoDoWri, Rest Room Door Writing) ? :mrgreen:

Returning to the game, now a question whose sadly request spoilers:
As I grok, Arthur was the other class misfit, with Francis, because he has a feminine tenderness & sharp, inquisitive mind ? (and now he's a gay guy, perhaps ?)
All together, a good quick (in play time) KN, with a very deep meaning and tackling the issue of the perception of reminiscences, whose it's a real plus, because in love, the lovers gone became extremely idealized (Also, being a Military & Naval historian, I known too well how a battle has many versions as many veterans of it....)

[musings on Italian Culture]
I always wonder how actually was the real Beatrice di Folco Portinari (cfr. Dante's Divina Commedia).....
[/musings on Italian Culture]

Hope to not have annoyed none, and

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

lunasspecto
Regular

#4 Post by lunasspecto »

Der Tor:
I'm glad you liked the story.

dott.Piergiorgio:
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:Actually (without spoiling...) the use of very abstract images for the characters makes sense....
Well, I thought so too. :)

As for your "spoilery" question,
I don't know why the characters are "misfits". If I knew that, perhaps I wouldn't have been one myself. Feel free to speculate.
Oh, and plenty of people are curious about Beatrice here in the United States, too. I think many Americans are required to read Inferno (but not necessarily the rest of the Commedia) in translation for some literature class.

Peace,
Kazuki Mishima

Tomoko
Regular

#5 Post by Tomoko »

Wow I really like this game very much!
The story is indeed not very easy to understand, but well I thought similar to the others.
I first thought Amie had gone through a gender operation lol?
After I played the game through I had the songs repeated a dozen times XD. For such stories classic seems best :D!

lunasspecto
Regular

#6 Post by lunasspecto »

Tomoko:
Your first thought was correct.
It's excellent music, isn't it? I found it at Musopen.

Tomoko
Regular

#7 Post by Tomoko »

Oh yeah the music is lovely! So are the composer and componist!

Okay if my first thought is right, then... That makes the story even deeper! The dad of a friend next door did that a few years ago too. Must be very hard, I guess.

visualnr4
Organization: http://vnr4.wordpress.com

#8 Post by visualnr4 »

Remembering Amie reviewed at VNR4. Although minimalistic, this was a beautiful work. Thank you.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#9 Post by Reikun »

Beautiful story and minimalistic look. Excellent music choices too!
Tomoko's first thought about the ending was also mine :) It was a good twist
but I think "Amie" would have been a cute name for a guy, if he had chose to keep it instead of changing to "Arthur."
I also like that in the end we find out exactly how the story is about "two men I don't know."
Is the movie described by Francis real by any chance?

Overall very clever and thoughtful. Loved it!!
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

lunasspecto
Regular

#10 Post by lunasspecto »

Oh crap. These days I tend to think of this as "something I made when I was younger." So I don't remember it very well and am afraid I'd be embarrassed to read it again. But I' m glad you enjoyed it, Reikun. As for the film described, it's Sugii Gisaburō's 1985 animated film adaptation of Miyazawa Kenji's novel Night on The Galactic Railroad.