Death Rule:lost code [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Death Rule:lost code [RELEASED]

#1 Post by HigurashiKira »

COMPLETED GAME THREAD HERE
"What truths were hidden in that lost code...?"
12 people have been taken into the forest with a PDA containing an objective, and a brace keeping a bomb implanted within them neutralized. Should they fail to complete the given objective, the bomb within them will detonate. However, things will not be so simple. Along with their objective, a special clause has been placed on each person; a Death Rule.
No one knows what the other Player's objectives are, or what Rule had been placed upon them. Being alone is a disadvantage, but in a deadly game such as this, how do you know who to trust?

Abraham Archer
A man with unknown ties to the Game. The actions he takes may appear to be random at times, but in the end, those odd actions end up serving his main goal. Despite his apparent kindness, Abraham really doesn't value the lives or opinions of the other Players. (Or so he says...)

Abigail Mallen
A rather calm and quiet woman who has been at the fronts of battlefields. Abigail is no stranger to death or loss, but would prefer not to experience either one. Unlike others, Abigail's greatest skill is her diplomacy. She would much rather cut down the other Player's defenses with her tongue than with any of the numerous weapons found in the forest. Whether such tactics will work is something that one can only wait and see....

George Kaysen
A well known socialite, George is often the life of a party. However, living such a life has straddled him with quite a lot of debt, and has driven him to the extreme of volunteering for the Game to be able to absolve those debts. He is a desperate man, so one will have to see if he is willing to trade his morality if it means avoiding debtor's prison...

Maria Felix
Living in constant fear was the norm for Maria, who had to participate in an earlier Game at a young age. After she survived, she decided to take the drastic measure of performing the procedure to become a Mutaga. Her mutated genetics have given her greater strength and more acute senses. Whether these additions will help her survive this new Game is something some Committee members are eager to see...

Sherry Tannem
Sherry is the youngest Player ever in the Game, and lacks many of the life experiences that others in this Game have. She is also has great difficulty in confiding with others, due to an incident that occurred back when she was still a small child. The Game is a merciless thing, but only time will tell if this child will live to see the end of this...

Tanya Serris
Not much is known about Tanya. She claims to be a simple office worker and that she has no understanding of the Game. But it has been witnessed that she is skilled, both in body and mind. Her secretive nature makes her even more of an enigma, and makes one wonder what her goals are...

Hector Bennett
Hector has always known of loss, having seen his family killed at a young age during the outbreak of a great war. Since those days, he has always been a fighter, using every skill he has to assure his survival. The man is a trained soldier, and although it has been 5 years since he last saw the battlefield, much of the lessons he learned and abilities he honed are still as sharp as the day he returned from the battlefield.

Morgan Ester
One wouldn't be blamed for asking who Morgan really is. The way she acts at one point could be contrary to how she acted at an earlier point, which might have contrasted an earlier action. It is because of her fickle nature that Morgan is one of the most feared inmates in the state prison system. She is well known for the high-profile murders of 11 corporate executives and the brutal torture and subsequent death of another.

Tinasa "Tina" Blatchford
Tina is a rather rude-talking girl who has experienced a bit of heartache as of late. Her survival skills are rather high for someone her age, a consequence of her family constantly exploring various forests and jungles. She isn't one to get along well with others and tends to act on pure instinct.

Dwight Hatcher
Dwight is a timid boy who has lived rather hectic life up until the Game. Compared to others his age, he's rather weak and fragile. Add his lack of social skills and one wouldn't be wrong to think that Dwight's chances of survival are rather low. But the boy is very amicable, so all hope isn't lost.

Lilly Magure
Lilly is parhaps one of the more innocent participants of this Game. Unlike the others, she has lived a sheltered life in her father's lab, due to being the first natural-born Mutaga. She is a kind and generous girl, and tends to warm up to others quite easily. She is also quite innocent, and can't comprehend the dark sides of others. One can only hope she will be able to grasp the full situation before it is too late to survive...

Gabe Rotwell
Once a well-respected commanding officer of the military, Gabe has become a vagabond living on the streets. Due to the loss of almost everyone under his command, Gabe has turned to drinking to try and drown his problems. However, behind the haze of drugs and alcohol lies a rather sharp mind and deadly skill. Whether his body can handle itself without his poisons will be one of the more amusing things to see about this man...

=====
Click to view larger size

=======

Click here to download (Win/Mac/Linux)

Some questions to answer about the demo:
1-Did the story flow well?
2-Were the characters believable?
3-Were you able to keep up with the Game's events?
4-Favorite episode?

Bonus questions:
-Favorite character?
-Favorite moment?
-Who do you ship?
Last edited by HigurashiKira on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 106 times in total.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

PrivateEyes
Regular
Completed: House 666
Projects: Shattered Eternity

Re: Death Rule:TFR [Thriller/BR]

#2 Post by PrivateEyes »

Sorry if it isn't direct feedback for your game, but can you tell me where to find this guide? It would really help with my game not becoming a large info dump.

That being said, I wait with baited breath for your game :)
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#3 Post by Reikun »

PrivateEyes wrote:Sorry if it isn't direct feedback for your game, but can you tell me where to find this guide? It would really help with my game not becoming a large info dump.

"The Commodore's Guide" is linked under the "Player" heading in the first post.
I haven't looked at it yet, but I think it's a guide with character info/backstory for HigurashiKira's characters for this game.

@HigurashiKira - As I mentioned to PrivateEyes, I haven't actually looked at "The Commodore's Guide" yet because I wanted to ask you this:

Do you think it's a good idea to have your "world building" for a game in an outside resource rather than in the game itself? Would "Death Rule" be understandable without the information in "The Commodore's Guide?"

I just find it a bit odd that you would do your world building in something other than the game to help people understand your game more. I know you say you did it to avoid an "info dump" in-game, but if "The Commodore's Guide" really does have useful/important information about the world your game takes place in, why not just put it in the prologue/intro for your game? I wouldn't exactly want to play a game if it required me to read a whole other resource to understand the setting/time etc. Is there no way to include the "useful" information in "The Commodore's Guide" in the actual game? I would like to see your view.

And I'll still take a look at "The Commodore's Guide" and comment on it later! (:
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by HigurashiKira »

Reikun wrote:
PrivateEyes wrote:Sorry if it isn't direct feedback for your game, but can you tell me where to find this guide? It would really help with my game not becoming a large info dump.

"The Commodore's Guide" is linked under the "Player" heading in the first post.
I haven't looked at it yet, but I think it's a guide with character info/backstory for HigurashiKira's characters for this game.

@HigurashiKira - As I mentioned to PrivateEyes, I haven't actually looked at "The Commodore's Guide" yet because I wanted to ask you this:

Do you think it's a good idea to have your "world building" for a game in an outside resource rather than in the game itself? Would "Death Rule" be understandable without the information in "The Commodore's Guide?"

I just find it a bit odd that you would do your world building in something other than the game to help people understand your game more. I know you say you did it to avoid an "info dump" in-game, but if "The Commodore's Guide" really does have useful/important information about the world your game takes place in, why not just put it in the prologue/intro for your game? I wouldn't exactly want to play a game if it required me to read a whole other resource to understand the setting/time etc. Is there no way to include the "useful" information in "The Commodore's Guide" in the actual game? I would like to see your view.

And I'll still take a look at "The Commodore's Guide" and comment on it later! (:
Well, the first Episode's prolouge still will have a lot of needed information from the Commodore's Guide as well as a few other things not mentioned in it, but the Commodore's Guide is more like an introduction to the world of the Game and has a few things, like the Committee's origins and how the Gamepieces work, which aren't mentioned in the story due to not really being important to the plot.

In short: The Commodore's Guide dosen't need to be read since a lot of the important information is still in-game.

Reikun answered you nicely, and the Guide is actualy something I made with Ren'Py.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Reading this, I am VERY excited. I love these sorts of stories! (Not to happy to admit this, but I actually enjoyed the Hunger Game series a lot, although the last book was disappointing).
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Reikun »

HigurashiKira wrote:Well, the first Episode's prolouge still will have a lot of needed information from the Commodore's Guide as well as a few other things not mentioned in it, but the Commodore's Guide is more like an introduction to the world of the Game and has a few things, like the Committee's origins and how the Gamepieces work, which aren't mentioned in the story due to not really being important to the plot.

In short: The Commodore's Guide dosen't need to be read since a lot of the important information is still in-game.
I'm glad to find that the information presented in The Commodore's Guide isn't absolutely necessary in order to play/understand/appreciate Death Rule.
I looked over The Commodore's Guide and I have to say that I don't think it does a good job of world building....
In the history section, I have no idea what "the nation" is. I can't tell whether this history took place in 1972 with mind to actual historical events, or if this is in an alternate universe or even if this story is on Earth.
I'm also wondering why the gamepieces aren't important to the plot if someone has to go through all the trouble of sticking them (presumable) into the players of the "game". If they aren't important, why mention them at all?

I didn't read the character profiles because I felt no need to learn about the characters as of now. I think The Commodore's Guide would be a fun unlockable bonus where players can learn about the characters though.
ImageImageImage

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by HigurashiKira »

Reikun wrote:I looked over The Commodore's Guide and I have to say that I don't think it does a good job of world building....
In the history section, I have no idea what "the nation" is. I can't tell whether this history took place in 1972 with mind to actual historical events, or if this is in an alternate universe or even if this story is on Earth.
I'm also wondering why the gamepieces aren't important to the plot if someone has to go through all the trouble of sticking them (presumable) into the players of the "game". If they aren't important, why mention them at all?

I didn't read the character profiles because I felt no need to learn about the characters as of now. I think The Commodore's Guide would be a fun unlockable bonus where players can learn about the characters though.
Thanks for the feedback :)

1) It's set both in an alternate universe and somewhere not on Earth. That's one thing I wanted to get out there, at least it prooved to have work somewhat considering you asked if it is in a different timeline. I guess I'll go back and clear things up.

2)It is important, but how it works isn't so. All anyone really has to know that it's a device that will blow you to kingdom come if you don't do as they say. The Commodore's Guide goes into a bit of detail as to how it causes the players to expire.

3)What's written in the Guide for the characters is, more or less, a biased account by a corrupt executive. He only went and talked to them for a bit, but he hardly knows much about them.
To counterract this, I did add somethin akin to a profile in-game written/told by the characters themselves.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Reikun »

I also forgot to mention earlier, but I get an error when I click "Music" from the main menu of The Commodore's Guide :0

Code: Select all

An exception has occurred.
While running game code:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 520, in python
      textbutton "Makkura" action mr.play("makkura.mp3")
Exception: 'makkura.mp3' is not a filename registered with this music room.
Tell me if you want/need the full traceback, because I'll have to type it all up xD;;;;;
ImageImageImage

Kumori
Regular

#9 Post by Kumori »

Sounds a lot like the Hunger Games to me, but it's got its own unique spin and unique characters. It looks very interesting and I'll keep an eye on this thread.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by HigurashiKira »

Reikun wrote:I also forgot to mention earlier, but I get an error when I click "Music" from the main menu of The Commodore's Guide :0

An exception has occurred.
While running game code:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 520, in python
      textbutton "Makkura" action mr.play("makkura.mp3")
Exception: 'makkura.mp3' is not a filename registered with this music room.
And this is why we should always double-check our code ladies and gentlemen. *goes to fix*
Kumori wrote:Sounds a lot like the Hunger Games to me, but it's got its own unique spin and unique characters. It looks very interesting and I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Reading my introductory post, yeah, it sounds a lot like something from one of the THG :lol:
Though, I would say that the Committee is less eviler than the Capitol from THG (And less people)

The game contains 445 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 8,678 words,
for an average of 17.3 words per screen.
The game contains 1 menus.
We're on our way to 10k!
From a random point in Ep.2
From a random point in Ep.2

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by HigurashiKira »

Updated the Commodore's Guide, should have a lot of the problems fixed now

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by HigurashiKira »

News
-An artist has appeared! Please wait warmly for examples to appear soon.
-We have passed 10k words between the two Episodes. So the writing is about 70% complete. (My episode is about the only one that needs to be finished, as well as a few extra post-game scenes)
-There is a poll now. Come bet vote on who you think will survive!
Last edited by HigurashiKira on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumori
Regular

#13 Post by Kumori »

HigurashiKira wrote:News
-An artist has appeared! Please wait warmly for examples to appear soon.
-We have passed 10k words between the two Episodes. So the writing is about 70% complete. (My episode is about the only one that needs to be finished, as well as a few extra post-game scenes)
-There is a poll now. Come bet vote on who you think will survive!
And to wrap this up, here's a random screenie from Episode 1
First person two name the two talking get's a shoutout in the Extra Stage
Abraham? Idk.

I am waiting very excitedly. *eats cookies in anticipation*

Raindrops
Regular
Projects: My Secret Spring (Co-writer & Proofreader), [Secret]

#14 Post by Raindrops »

HigurashiKira wrote: First person two name the two talking get's a shoutout in the Extra Stage
Abraham and Morgan? xD

Also, I'm really liking the idea of this game! THG was a favourite of mine so I'll look forward to playing a game with the same idea revolved around it ^^ Good luck!

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Death Rule:TFR [Thriller/BR] (Art Up)

#15 Post by HigurashiKira »

Art is now up~! Thank you Katon for hearing my plea.

The game contains 610 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 11,100 words,
for an average of 15.9 words per screen.
The game contains 1 menus.
And here's a look at a bonus inside (Well, the locked version anyways):