Sailor Moon dating sim (released!)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#16 Post by papillon »

I was so looking forward to the Sailor Xena fanfic too.

Although it shouldn't really prevent it, we already *have* Asteroid Senshi officially.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#17 Post by Glasskitten »

*cracks up at both Sailor Bubba and Sailor 2003 UB313, then tries to explain them to her mother with little success*
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#18 Post by Watercolorheart »

PyTom wrote:Sailor 2003 UB313!

"2003 UB313 definition of a planet problems... blast!"
LOL.
I'm not even the same person anymore

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

Say goodbye to Sailor 2003 UB313... and hello to Sailor Eris!

(If there's one dwarf planet to name after the goddess of discord, this was the one.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Laika Karou
Regular

#20 Post by Laika Karou »

Oh well, thus far I wrote only sixty dialogues so it will take me quite a while as yet.

To papillon: Since you offered to help with code, don't you know by chance a script for displaying text letter-by-letter so as to give an impression that it is pronounced by a character?

I used the following one:

Code: Select all

for(i=0;i<string_length(global.dialogue_to_display)+1;i+=1)
{
 global.dialogued = string_copy(global.dialogue_to_display,1,i);
 draw_text_ext(56,288,global.dialogue,-1,420);
 screen_refresh();
 sleep(60);
}
where global.dialogue_to_display contains a string with text and global.dialogue is the text drawn on screen. And there is an object drawing value of global.dialogue (also using function draw_text_ext) after script is executed.

It works fine when there is only one line to display. But when it comes to multiline text, some words are split by the script in the end of lines and drawn correctly by the object after script is executed.

One new screenshot from the game is below.
Attachments
moonmem4.jpg
moonmem4.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#21 Post by Watercolorheart »

I like the look of this; I find the soft colors present in the textbox, the sprite, and the backgrounds to be pleasant.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Laika Karou
Regular

#22 Post by Laika Karou »

Has anyone suggestions for game's title?
I was thinking at first about "Sailor Moon Memorial" (obviously by analogy with Tokimeki Memorial) but it seems to be too unoriginal.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#23 Post by mikey »

It should probably be something related to the story... of course not SM: Hotaru's Story ^_^

SM Memorial is as you said a bit unoriginal, and also nothing-saying. It's like Legend Of Fairies, True Love, Let's Meow Meow or others

Ideally, the title should be interesting and original + make some deeper sense when you finish the game. For instance Divi-Dead, Ever 17 or Snow Drop.

A middle way is picking a name or the global theme. For example Gloria, Sensei 2, Desire or similar.

So it's important to know as much about the game as possible - you probably know what the story will be, so I'd suggest just playing with words for a while, so that the title can sum up the game in more than one way.

Andy

#24 Post by Andy »

That's some very good advice you've got there, Mikey.

Laika Karou
Regular

#25 Post by Laika Karou »

At this point the game is approximately 80-90% complete. I am working on a title screen and ending sequences. If nothing unexpected happens, the game will be released the next month (November).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by mikey »

That's great news. Looking forward.

And just BTW, you have a very, very good Sailormoon game site.

Laika Karou
Regular

#27 Post by Laika Karou »

The game is finished and available for download from here (the full size of archive is 2.57 MB):

http://sailorvgame.org/mg/smds/smds_saturn.htm

Comments and opinions are welcomed! :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by mikey »

I'll get to it! Congratulations!

Being a complete release, you could have started a new thread in the finished games section ^_^.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by DaFool »

It looks really good. :D
I can't tell which parts are fan-made, or if the entire production is.

The thing which really stands out is the very professional presentation, all in a package that's under 3mb (including in-game music)! It even puts Ren'Py to shame by making it bloatware by comparison.

Let's see, it's got
-well-layed-out planning u.i.
-watercolor backgrounds that mesh well with character (not to mention it really feels like you're in the Sailor Moon universe.
-the simple music that doesn't feel too midi and is very similar to what might be used in the anime.

This is really impressive. I went back to check to see if I had made any discouraging posts, because frankly I wasn't too interested before.

But now, wow. Definitely something you should be proud of.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, I've played it for a bit now, and I have to say, the visuals are really wonderful - pro-style sprites and BGs they also have a certain warmth. Graphical design is excellent. 510*380 or so resolution is really unorthodox, but it's probably the reason why you can have small pictures and keep the package lightweight.

As for the story, it's a bit sad that there isn't any. It seems like a question and answer round with questions repeating every day... but maybe the story will come later on.

I also kind of need to get used to the controls. Enter for selection is fine, but spacebar isn't really intuitive. But it doesn't matter, I need to be more flexible :P . I'll be back with more impressions later. Again, congratulations on the release!