Power of Illusions

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Power of Illusions

#1 Post by Wright1000 »

Believe it or not, this picture is NOT moving.
It is a JPG image, so it can't move anyway.

Click on the image to get a better view.
illusionone.jpg
Take a look at the picture below. This one is moving.
But if you concentrate on the "plus" sign, the colors are going to change.
illusion.gif
Credits: Unknown
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Power of Illusions

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

Beep beep, pretentious art history student coming through.
Psh, I've seen even more trippy stuff before. Ever heard of Bridget Riley? I did a bit of research about her before for a class project, and I'm still mesmerized by her optical art *_*
Image Image

Then you have M.C. Escher, the king of mindscrewy images. Oh these stairs D:
Image Image

And one of my favorite contemporary artists, Julian Beever, uses chalk and a technique called anamorphosis to make some amusing drawings.
Image Image

All these artists trick the eye by manipulating curves, perspective, etc. While all these are flat, static pictures, it's your mind doing all the work ;)

Thelo
Regular

#3 Post by Thelo »

Wright1000 wrote:Take a look at the picture below. This one is moving.
But if you concentrate on the "plus" sign, the colors are going to change.
This one is amazing, wow. I think it's my new favorite optical illusion.

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#4 Post by cloudyssky »

The first one blows my mind. I actually had to press my face to the screen to make sure it really was not moving.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

cloudyssky wrote:The first one blows my mind. I actually had to press my face to the screen to make sure it really was not moving.
Actually I don't see anything moves in the first picture...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#6 Post by Wright1000 »

LVUER wrote:
cloudyssky wrote:The first one blows my mind. I actually had to press my face to the screen to make sure it really was not moving.
Actually I don't see anything moves in the first picture...
If you don't really believe that the picture is not moving, you can open the picture in Photoshop. You will still see the picture moving.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#7 Post by LVUER »

No. I know the picture is not moving. But I can't see the illusion of that picture moving. Well, illusion is not always works for everybody.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

LVUER wrote:No. I know the picture is not moving. But I can't see the illusion of that picture moving. Well, illusion is not always works for everybody.
You may have either excellent vision or very bad eyes if you don't see movement in the first picture. The illusion relies on imperfections in your lens your eyes compensate with minimal movement, which is interpreted by your brain as the picture moving, and if there are no such imperfections, there's nothing for your brain to misinterpret. And if your eyes are REALLY bad, your brain may have given up interpreting things like this minimal movement, simply because there is already too much of it :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Thelo
Regular

#9 Post by Thelo »

The other part of the answer is that this illusion doesn't work if the image is shown too small. When I'm looking at the forum thumbnail, I don't get the moving sensation at all, but when I open it in a new tab at full size, then wham, it hits at full force.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

Taleweaver wrote:
LVUER wrote:No. I know the picture is not moving. But I can't see the illusion of that picture moving. Well, illusion is not always works for everybody.
You may have either excellent vision or very bad eyes if you don't see movement in the first picture. The illusion relies on imperfections in your lens your eyes compensate with minimal movement, which is interpreted by your brain as the picture moving, and if there are no such imperfections, there's nothing for your brain to misinterpret. And if your eyes are REALLY bad, your brain may have given up interpreting things like this minimal movement, simply because there is already too much of it :)
Doesn't illusion rely on how brain interpret things? Not on eye lens? Since all human brains works differently (not that different, but you know what I mean), some things that works for some human just doesn't work for others.

BTW, I've open the pics on full size and even save them on my PC. I can see all illusion on this thread except for the very first one.

EDIT:
OK, I take a look again at the first picture (I saved it to my PC)... and it's moving this time (o_O) Strange since last time no matter how hard I try, it didn't move. I guess I was tired at that time or something...

DeviantArt Account

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#11 Post by Mink »

Taleweaver wrote:
Oh god, my eyes are bad. If I take my glasses off, the picture doesn't move at all. D8
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*