Tailor Tales [GxB] [100% free]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Celianna
Veteran

Tailor Tales [GxB] [100% free]

#1 Post by Celianna »

Tailor Tales has undergone a revision, and its new thread on Lemmasoft can be found here.

Alternatively, you can find out information on the official blog, or try out the beta on itch.io.
Last edited by Celianna on Wed May 31, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Celianna
Veteran

Re: Tailor Tales [GxB] [RPG] [100% free]

#2 Post by Celianna »

I'll start off the discussion with the latest update: a very early test of the AM system

AM stands for Affection Mode, you are able to 'touch' a bachelor during this mode. You are able to go into AM after a successful date of the uncensored version. There's 12 different moves you can select, and 11 different body parts to perform them on. The system is divided into 4 phases:
  • Phase 1 - Reserved
  • Phase 2 - Friendly
  • Phase 3 - Sensitive
  • Phase 4 - Hot
The phases affect his dialogue, as well as if he'll like a certain move or not (no one will like you sucking his nipples on the first phase for example). Moves, body parts and even the phases are unlocked based on the bachelor's heart level, as well as how many times you've dated him.

The game will keep track of how many times you've gone into AM, as well as how many points you've scored. Eventually, if you start dating two guys at the same time and racking up in points with both of them, one of them will eventually confront you and you can either feign innocence, or make him your 'best friend'. This will result in a status change (please click here for a detailed explanation on statuses), and you can no longer go into AM with this specific bachelor.

Anyways, the next beta will include an early AM system that you are able to test.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Celianna wrote:AM stands for Affection Mode, you are able to 'touch' a bachelor during this mode. You are able to go into AM after a successful date of the uncensored version.
I don't think I've ever seen this feature in a western romance game. It's an interesting gameplay concept... though it has the potential to take a game from "worksafe and heartwarming" right into "NSFW, and attracting unsavory fans."

So now I have to ask -- what sort of content level do you intend to create? What gets shown, and what is implied? If nothing else, it sounds like the characters will have each other's full consent.
Celianna wrote:Eventually, if you start dating two guys at the same time and racking up in points with both of them, one of them will eventually confront you and you can either feign innocence, or make him your 'best friend'. This will result in a status change (please click here for a detailed explanation on statuses), and you can no longer go into AM with this specific bachelor.
Hmm, this is a good idea too. If your theme involves dating followed by commitment, then it's probably wise to compel your main character to commit to one person. Though this also sounds like a roundabout way of abandoning a relationship...

One last thing. Make it possible to let the main character tell a love interest that she isn't interested. Especially if it takes a lot of time and money to keep the relationships active. (This is my biggest complaint with TMGS1-2.)

Celianna
Veteran

#4 Post by Celianna »

gekiganwing wrote:
Celianna wrote:AM stands for Affection Mode, you are able to 'touch' a bachelor during this mode. You are able to go into AM after a successful date of the uncensored version.
I don't think I've ever seen this feature in a western romance game. It's an interesting gameplay concept... though it has the potential to take a game from "worksafe and heartwarming" right into "NSFW, and attracting unsavory fans."

So now I have to ask -- what sort of content level do you intend to create? What gets shown, and what is implied? If nothing else, it sounds like the characters will have each other's full consent.
I've always been frustrated with the PG relationship in many dating games, and if you want something more you'll only find hentai games, which isn't what I was looking for either. Tailor Tales was never intended to be 'worksafe' or for 'kiddies', despite its cheery and colourful look. From the very start I had always wanted to delve in deeper with dating games, make you be able to interact with the guy more and such, and go on beyond the initial falling in love stage.

The Affection Mode system's most 'NSFW' part would be having the guy's shirt off, on your bed, and the most 'sexual' body part you can choose would be his nipples. That's the extend of NSFW part. Afterwards you are able to 'make love', but the scene fades out to black and nothing is shown, only implied. It's still not a hentai game, but I definitely wanted to make the player experience a more interactive relationship that wasn't so darn PG.

Anyways, since I attracted many fans who are uncomfortable with such a thing (then again I had a poll and about 90% are alright with being able to 'make love'), Tailor Tales will be released in two versions: censored and uncensored. Uncensored will have everything, though it will never show anything explicit, or mention anything vulgar or sexual. The censored version will have entire gameplay parts blocked off so that all ages can enjoy the game as well.

Celianna wrote:Eventually, if you start dating two guys at the same time and racking up in points with both of them, one of them will eventually confront you and you can either feign innocence, or make him your 'best friend'. This will result in a status change (please click here for a detailed explanation on statuses), and you can no longer go into AM with this specific bachelor.
Hmm, this is a good idea too. If your theme involves dating followed by commitment, then it's probably wise to compel your main character to commit to one person. Though this also sounds like a roundabout way of abandoning a relationship...
Yeah, I want to encourage the player to remain faithful to one bachelor at a time (you can have 4 save files so it shouldn't be hard). But actually, the main point of the best friend status is so that you can have fun torturing them by flaunting it in their faces you have a guy you like, while knowing they're secretly in love with you. It makes for some of the most hilarious dialogue, that's for sure. You're still able to marry them though.
One last thing. Make it possible to let the main character tell a love interest that she isn't interested. Especially if it takes a lot of time and money to keep the relationships active. (This is my biggest complaint with TMGS1-2.)
Ahh, in TMGS you got guys bombing you simply because they know you. In Tailor Tales, you are free to talk to whomever you want, and ignore whomever you want. There's a slight penalty for ignoring someone for more than 3 days (simply talking to them once will solve this), in which gift giving will be disabled, but if you talk to them again you'll get the option back soon enough. That's it though, no further penalties or jealous guys knocking on your door asking why you haven't paid any attention to them.

Though I would like to point out you are able to reject bachelors. You can do this twice: once when they confess to you, and once when they ask you to marry them. Rejecting them is a status change, and permanent, but you're able to pursue other bachelors again. You can't get back together with the guy you rejected though.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Celianna wrote: I've always been frustrated with the PG relationship in many dating games, and if you want something more you'll only find hentai games, which isn't what I was looking for either. Tailor Tales was never intended to be 'worksafe' or for 'kiddies', despite its cheery and colourful look. From the very start I had always wanted to delve in deeper with dating games, make you be able to interact with the guy more and such, and go on beyond the initial falling in love stage.
Celiana's Signature wrote:My dating sim similar to Harvest Moon.
You might want to change your signature and elevator pitch to reflect the maturity of the game. You tend to compare the game to Harvest Moon - but those are all Everyone-rated games. You'd probably want to give this at least a 16+ rating - and that's fine. It's just that when you compare a 16+ game with an Everyone-rated game, confusion could result.

(Just to be clear about it, I'm speaking as a member here, rather than as an admin.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Celianna
Veteran

#6 Post by Celianna »

PyTom wrote:You might want to change your signature and elevator pitch to reflect the maturity of the game. You tend to compare the game to Harvest Moon - but those are all Everyone-rated games. You'd probably want to give this at least a 16+ rating - and that's fine. It's just that when you compare a 16+ game with an Everyone-rated game, confusion could result.

(Just to be clear about it, I'm speaking as a member here, rather than as an admin.)
Well, it's like Harvest Moon in that it is an RPG, you can get married, give gifts, talk to NPCs, dig in a mine, forage items around town, participate in festivals - it's a lot like Harvest Moon period. Removing that would be like me saying: "Oh yeah, it's nothing like Harvest Moon. Because Harvest Moon is E rated."

Not to mention I'll be releasing two versions of the game anyway, and one is for all ages ...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

I was thinking that adding to it might be more appropriate that removing from it. Something like:
My dating sim - like a more adult Harvest Moon.
or something like that. Forgive the clumsy phrasing. I'll just claim that I was a little surprised by how mature this game has gotten, given what I was expecting from that description.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Celianna
Veteran

#8 Post by Celianna »

PyTom wrote:I was thinking that adding to it might be more appropriate that removing from it. Something like:
My dating sim - like a more adult Harvest Moon.
or something like that. Forgive the clumsy phrasing. I'll just claim that I was a little surprised by how mature this game has gotten, given what I was expecting from that description.
It is really just that one aspect that people would claim 'mature', the majority of the game is very similar to Harvest Moon though, and the majority of my fans are Harvest Moon fans as well.

Question: do you know the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side franchise? They're for ages 12 and up - and that one 'mature' aspect of Tailor Tales is exactly like the Love Mode in TMGS (you're able to prod half naked guys), so I still wouldn't label Tailor Tales mature - TMGS isn't mature either.

Edit: there, I changed it, you happy now? :lol:

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#9 Post by Niki »

Just want to say -- I really like how this game looks. The GUI and graphics go really well together, and that it's a mashup of two of my favorite games just makes me want to play even more >w< About the whole AM thing, it came to me as a bit of a surprise (especially the 'hot' mode?) because the game as a whole reminded me the most of Harvest Moon ^^; Still it's a nice idea and adds a new level of interactivity to the game, which I like.
Celianna wrote: Question: do you know the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side franchise? They're for ages 12 and up - and that one 'mature' aspect of Tailor Tales is exactly like the Love Mode in TMGS (you're able to prod half naked guys), so I still wouldn't label Tailor Tales mature - TMGS isn't mature either.
Hmm, the difference between TMGS and your game is -- the touching in TMGS was never very... sexual. The touching was limited to touching, grabbing his arm or something and tickling. The most you could do in there was kiss him on the lips and get him flustered if you prod him too much in Love Mode (they blush a lot and stutter something like 'why are you so forward?' but nothing else is hinted). The game was rated a CERO B 12+ for 'Love', not 'Sexual Content'. Another otome game for the DS which utilised this kind of 'touching system' was Duel Love, where you could massage the guy and peek at him naked in the shower... There was no actual sex involved and yet it was rated a CERO C 15+ for 'Sexual Content'.

So although you can prod half-naked guys at the pool/beach in TMGS, the protag and the bachelor never actually "make love" or grope each other on the bed (for lack of better words, eek ><), unlike in Tailor Tales... hence I wouldn't say that AM is exactly like Love Mode and thus it may deserve a higher rating as compared to TMGS. ^^; Just putting in my two cents; sorry if I don't make any sense -- I'm not too good with words. (You have to consider that CERO is the Japanese rating system though. Different countries, different ideals and all that.) Of course, you have the final say. \o/

Um, went a bit off-topic there. But good luck on your game, it looks really professional.
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Loveli
Regular

#10 Post by Loveli »

gekiganwing wrote:
Yeah, I want to encourage the player to remain faithful to one bachelor at a time (you can have 4 save files so it shouldn't be hard). But actually, the main point of the best friend status is so that you can have fun torturing them by flaunting it in their faces you have a guy you like, while knowing they're secretly in love with you. It makes for some of the most hilarious dialogue, that's for sure. You're still able to marry them though.
Actually it can be hard! Especially to people like me that want to know every possible ending/option in the game. When I play a game whit various outcomes I always want to try them all! Having just 4 saves here will do no good to people like me because there are 5 bachelors...

So I would have to delate one of my saves files in order to go for the last one... And then if I still have dialogs or scenes I haven't tried out I would have to delete yet another file. Also I don't know for others but I usually have at last two or three saves for each play trough, just in case I make some mistake and only notice way later! D: So in my opinion whit such an extensive game... just 4 saves are not enough... :( Just my opinion tough.
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#11 Post by Cidz »

I remember coming across this game awhile ago, it looks like alto has been done since then. This is great. I love how it's like harvest moon and TMGS combined. I actually really like that you added more mature elements to this game without making it H. That's great, because sometimes I wish I could do more then just kiss a guy on the cheek or something. (I use to like excessively poking the guys sometimes in TMGS2 during love-mode just to see them blush and be all "s-stop that! you-your giving me impure thoughts!!!" I kept thinking "THAT'S THE POINT >_< now come inside my house, my parents aren't home i swear >_> <_< ") geez I'm such a perv XD. I think that's a good idea making a censored and uncensored version, that way both parties are happy.

The art and boys are really cute! I can tell all the hard work you put into this. You really are making the whole game with just RPG Maker? I also like the affectionate mode, and the fact you can marry these guys too. I also love that you get to play as a tailor (fashion/sewing is a hobby of mine.) I really look forward to this game, I can't wait until the next demo is released.

Celianna
Veteran

#12 Post by Celianna »

Loveli wrote: Actually it can be hard! Especially to people like me that want to know every possible ending/option in the game. When I play a game whit various outcomes I always want to try them all! Having just 4 saves here will do no good to people like me because there are 5 bachelors...
Well, you have to remind yourself Tailor Tales is NOT visual novel, and every bachelor only has one ending. I know that when playing VNs you want to spam-save before each and every option just to see in which direction the story can go into if you chose a different answer, but Tailor Tales is less 'make a decision here that will change the way the story goes' and more 'raise up his affection gradually, and sometimes get to pick out an answer that doesn't influence the story much'. In that case, 4 saves files would be good enough for two guys.

Then again, I could get a script that increases the save files, but let's hope there's no incompatibilities with the ones I'm currently using.
So I would have to delate one of my saves files in order to go for the last one... And then if I still have dialogs or scenes I haven't tried out I would have to delete yet another file. Also I don't know for others but I usually have at last two or three saves for each play trough, just in case I make some mistake and only notice way later! D: So in my opinion whit such an extensive game... just 4 saves are not enough... :( Just my opinion tough.
Yeah I get your point, I really do - which is what I'd say for visual novels, but Tailor Tales is a dating sim and they're very different. I don't like punishing the player all that much, so there won't be a chance for you to screw up (in fact, you can't even lower the guy's affection for you at all in the game, it can only go up).

There's really only one way you can screw up a guy's route, and that is to reject him when you experience his final and 5th heart event. Basically he'll confess to you, and if you say no, well then you messed up big time - and that's about it. Haha. Remember, there are no bad endings in Tailor Tales! Only good ones.
Cidz wrote:I remember coming across this game awhile ago, it looks like alto has been done since then. This is great. I love how it's like harvest moon and TMGS combined. I actually really like that you added more mature elements to this game without making it H. That's great, because sometimes I wish I could do more then just kiss a guy on the cheek or something. (I use to like excessively poking the guys sometimes in TMGS2 during love-mode just to see them blush and be all "s-stop that! you-your giving me impure thoughts!!!" I kept thinking "THAT'S THE POINT >_< now come inside my house, my parents aren't home i swear >_> <_< ") geez I'm such a perv XD.
Ahaha, that's exactly how I think. I want to go further than that, let your hormones go crazy and let me do something more than light touching or a peck on the lips. Let's make out on the couch and do what couples do on an almost regular basis! I've never found a game that would do this, unless it was a straight out Hentai game, and those are well, it's just porn. The closest game that does this would be The Sims, and even that is downplayed for kiddies. If I could have an actual relationship going on in TMGS, I'd be a very happy girl indeed.
I think that's a good idea making a censored and uncensored version, that way both parties are happy.
Yeah, but somehow, I still manage to get complaints haha.
The art and boys are really cute! I can tell all the hard work you put into this. You really are making the whole game with just RPG Maker? I also like the affectionate mode, and the fact you can marry these guys too. I also love that you get to play as a tailor (fashion/sewing is a hobby of mine.) I really look forward to this game, I can't wait until the next demo is released.
Thanks! Yup, I'm making it with RPG Maker. I have a lot of custom made scripts though, mostly made by IceDragon and Sky00Valentine, those two guys rock because they've helped me out so much. Without those scripts, I would not be able to make Tailor Tales.

Anyways, you probably meant to say 'beta' and not 'demo', because a demo is my global goal, and betas are just something I release every once in a while if I need help with testing :)

I recently wrote down a list of things to do to complete the demo, it can be found here if you're interested.

ruthienick
Projects: Vocaloid Visual Novel

#13 Post by ruthienick »

This game is really... wow. I really love that it's sort of a cross between my two favorite games, TMGS and Harvest Moon. The art is really nice and the sprites too. I also love the characters and the story. I can't wait for the next demo~

Princess Akina
Regular

#14 Post by Princess Akina »

Definitely stalking this thread~
Haha and I'm exactly kind of like Loveli. I need more than 4 save files because I WILL try to play through each and every ending o3o
Just interesting to see everyone's story and stuff.
And must get Fox first 8D!
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

Asterisk
Regular

#15 Post by Asterisk »

I don't see a link for a demo but I do remember playing one but it was really neat!
The characters look and sound wonderful and I know it's going to be an amazing game. You're so dedicated!
I really look forward to this!
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.