Him & Me (GxB)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

Him & Me (GxB)

#1 Post by ririruetoo »

Plot- 100%
Script-50%
Completed- Demo
CGs- 0%
Sprites-90%

Please note this game is not meant to be groundbreaking or epic in any sense of the word. Its just meant to be a fun little game that fans of Otome's will enjoy. Basically its my homage to my love visual novels....sort of. If you're wondering where I got the idea for this story from, I got that idea after watching an episode of Anthony Bourdan where he goes to South Korea. Random, right?

Team:

Me ( ririruetoo)- Writer, programmer
Fiona- Sprite artist/colorer/CG artist
Monkey Ninja-Sprite artist/colorer

STORYLINE-
You play as a normal high school student. A girl who enjoys playing video games ( dating sims) and reading. She has a few friends but is in no way popular. She lives a normal, easy life, until one day, her grandfather comes to visit. Shocked at her lack of a boyfriend and social skills, he demands she find a fiance by the time she turns 18. Of course, it must be someone of his choosing, and of course, her parents agree with the plan. If she fails to court and win the heart of one of the 2 guys her grandfather chooses, she will be forced to care for him for the rest of his days, and will be disowned by her family and denyied her inheritance
( harsh huh?) So, begins our heroines tale of love, mishaps, and family.

CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS-

MC- A unpopular girl who enjoys playing video games and reading novels. Has only one good friend, Bong-Cha. Due to her rather nerdy pursuits ( reading comics, playing video games) she finds making new friends a challenge.

Bong-Cha- A sporty girl who enjoys playing Tennis on the school's Tennis team. She is a true romantic at heart and makes great efforts to help MC find a suitable boyfriend. Loud, talkative and rather blunt- she is MC's only true friend.

Mr.Seo- An engima. Although he appears to be the perfect teacher ( kind, hardworking, caring), in reality he is a cold man who enjoys mocking his students and fellow co-workers behind their back.

Dao- MC's junior by a year. A young man who works part time at a local vet clinic. Will do anything he can to protect and help animals. Enjoys baking and eating sweets, his dream in life is to become a pastry chef.

Hyo- A student in MC's class who comes from a rich and powerful family known for their talents in the Opera profession. Due to his family's wealth, he rarely engages in conversation, due to him wanting to appear like a 'normal' high schooler. For some reason, him and his sister live alone.

Deia- MC's childhood friend. After moving and then transfering to a school across town, he has had no contact with MC for many years. Although he excels in almost anything he does-which earns him a large following of admires- he has no good friends.

Miy- The school's star baseball player. Although most people write him off as a 'player', he is actually a caring and hardworking young man who strives to help others ( although he is prone to flirting with the opposite gender.) Supposibly has a older brother named Da-ya, although he doesn't seem to like mentioning him.

Feedback I'm looking for~ Your option on the storyline, and characters, in your mind is this a game you would want to play, and if not, why? ( basically constructive criticism (^_^))
Attachments
theobtainables.png
Dao Screen shot.PNG
Last edited by ririruetoo on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImage

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Him & Me (GxB)

#2 Post by PyTom »

Could you fill this thread out a bit, by posting a description of what you've accomplished so far, and what you'd like people to comment on in the future? Doing this will help keep discussion on this thread on track.

Thank you.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by ririruetoo »

Thanks PyTom, and I did what you asked. (^_^)
ImageImageImage

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

#4 Post by MusicaFate »

I agree with PyTom says because with this lack of description, I feel...like I'm missing something. Also, all these characters seem "generic." It's like "So what she's shy? so what she's unpopular? What's so special about her?" Even though she has this grandfather who is "pushy," why does he want her to find a fiance so quickly? Is there any particular reason why she is so unpopular and shy? You said that she had only one friend, but there is also a childhood friend so does this mean the childhood friend doesn't talk to the MC as much? o-o'' Does he go to a different school? Bong-cha is a girl right?
...Yeah, so be more specific and and in depth about these characters, or just fill in the little holes. You probably filled them in the script, and probably added more personality to each character, but as of now, they seem super generic. These characters should be apart of you or have a bit of your own "flavoring." Otherwise, these characters wouldn't really be "special" and "interesting."
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by ririruetoo »

Hmm I suppose you are right, I'll try my best.
ImageImageImage

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by try10 »

Played the demo and I think the plot is nice and original. What botheres me are some of the sprites( her mom and and Deia ). It would be nice if those 2 could look as nice as the others. :)

Anyway I'm looking forward to play your game! :D

Good luck! :D

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ririruetoo »

@try10

Well Mom and Deia ( and Bong-Cha) were drawn by a different artist than the others. I know they look different, but its not like I can fire her just because they don't look as nice. (^_^) I think they fit the characters.
ImageImageImage

Celianna
Veteran

#8 Post by Celianna »

I played parts of your demo, and I have to agree that the style inconsistency of the sprites really turn me off. To me, it's one of the worst things you can do: mix different styles together. Even if your style sucks, has bad anatomy and shading - as long as its consistent then I have no problems with it. Yours is a mix of (what I spot) 3 different styles, and it really takes attention away from the story, and I can't help but keep noticing it.

I really recommend re-doing all sprites in one style, made by one artist. It doesn't matter if it looks good, so long as it's all consistent.

There's also the problem of the sprites not being aligned correctly on the sheet, and you see random pixels appearing on the top of their heads, or on the sides.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Princess Akina
Regular

#9 Post by Princess Akina »

Celianna wrote:I played parts of your demo, and I have to agree that the style inconsistency of the sprites really turn me off. To me, it's one of the worst things you can do: mix different styles together. Even if your style sucks, has bad anatomy and shading - as long as its consistent then I have no problems with it. Yours is a mix of (what I spot) 3 different styles, and it really takes attention away from the story, and I can't help but keep noticing it.

I really recommend re-doing all sprites in one style, made by one artist. It doesn't matter if it looks good, so long as it's all consistent.

There's also the problem of the sprites not being aligned correctly on the sheet, and you see random pixels appearing on the top of their heads, or on the sides.
I definitely agree with Celianna. This was the first thing I spotted on the post and it did kind of turn me away from the game.
Not to be rude or anything ;;
Good luck with the game ^^
-stalking thread-
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.