Collaborative LSF VN Project (and I like you.)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Collaborative LSF VN Project (and I like you.)

#1 Post by Gear »

If you're here to discuss the Collaborative VN project we've been musing over, check out the idea thread. If you're here to talk about how awesome we all are, then continue on.

Original post:
I really do. I like all of you. There, I said it. You are all awesome. Love hanging out with you. Great people, all of you.
I swear, this has almost nothing to do with the recent rash of unfriendly behavior towards each other in recent days.
You know what would be awesome and impossible all at once? If everyone on this forum got together and made ONE GAME. It would be the greatest game in VN history.

This post is going nowhere. It's probably going to be locked. But just know that I like all of you.
Last edited by Gear on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: I like you.

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Gear wrote:You know what would be awesome and impossible all at once? If everyone on this forum got together and made ONE GAME. It would be the greatest game in VN history.
That... would be a mess. I'd pity the person trying to manage it :lol:
Anyway, spreading the love is nice. ^_^
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

Gear wrote:You know what would be awesome and impossible all at once? If everyone on this forum got together and made ONE GAME. It would be the greatest game in VN history.
Aw, man, thanks. Unfortunately, I am unavailable for a project of that scope. I'm working at another large thing of my own (together with DaFool), and this one's a long time in the making.

But once we have this out, well, why not? Let's start something really grand!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#4 Post by DragoonHP »

I will love to play such a game... Grandmasters of lemma making a grand game... sounds great...
We are all a big family, Dispute happens...

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

DragoonHP wrote:I will love to play such a game... Grandmasters of lemma making a grand game... sounds great...
If it's just that and not every single person on the forums, it might work. The project team would still have to be fairly small. You can only have so many writers, artists, and composers before styles clash, the story is thrown every which way, and the project becomes a logistical nightmare. The only position that can't have too many people would probably be proofing and testing.
"More isn't always better. Sometimes it's just more."
Last edited by redeyesblackpanda on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by CheeryMoya »

Hm... a giant LemmaSoft collab project? I'm sure we'd all argue to the end on what genre it'd be, which gender the protagonist would be, who'd be the head of the project, and so on and so forth. Maybe we can do 4 games: 2 ren'ai (GxB, BxG) and 2 non-ren'ai (1 with a boy protag and 1 with a girl protag). I'm just going to say that Katawa Shoujo has the BxG game covered for now, but I'm sure that the overwhelming number of females on LSF would be more than happy to have an otome game that's similar in scope to KS.

IDK, it's going to be messy trying to keep everyone on task and even harder to make it a cohesive game. Going again with KS, and though I have yet to play it myself, one of the main complaints was that it was easy to tell when different writers took over a scene. We'd need the best of the best to make a super OELVN.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Gear »

Maybe, maybe not. It could be a KN with a 'story stick' style. Each person who writes gets a portion, and then passes the story onto the next person. Then each of those sections would have a different artist who draws out that portion of the story (or two if one does BGs and one does sprites). It would be a massive cluster-foxtrot, I'll admit, but it would be a fun one!
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by CheeryMoya »

Gear wrote:Maybe, maybe not. It could be a KN with a 'story stick' style. Each person who writes gets a portion, and then passes the story onto the next person. Then each of those sections would have a different artist who draws out that portion of the story (or two if one does BGs and one does sprites). It would be a massive cluster-foxtrot, I'll admit, but it would be a fun one!
I am reminded of a memory of campfire story telling circle that never really happened to me, once upon a time. Many people were gathered 'round the fire, each taking a turn to tell their story. All would listen, and then the next would tell their story.

... That might actually work, now that I think about it. If each writer got their own narrator, then there wouldn't be too much of a problem with different styles, writing and art-wise. WE SHOULD MAKE THIS HAPPEN :D

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

I think that's what we are actually doing with the Pet Project. Wait. Am I even allowed to speak about this in public?

Anyway, it's a collab project lead by LVUER and there are a few writers and artist working on a single pet.

Each pet has a different MC, thus, having different narrators and we pretty much do our own thing. There were lots of confusion in the beginning though and there were only a few of us. (6-8 pets, a writer and an artist for each, some pets had only one artist and writer, while there are others who have one of each.) So if that few members already causes so much confusion, I don't know what the chaos it would bring if everyone who's active is on one big VN. O_O

But I can't say it can't happen though. With all the motivated VN makers here, maybe there's a chance that it can. XD
And also, I just want to throw in that I like all of you as well.
Sorry if what I'm saying isn't making any sense. It's already 2 AM here and I don't even know why the hell I'm still not yet sleeping. D:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#10 Post by Stripe »

I like you too! Spread the positivity! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#11 Post by Fawn »

We have had a big collab project before, the Cute, Light and Fluffy project, which you can download here: http://games.renpy.org/game/cute_light_fluffy.shtml

The pet project was public for awhile but once we had enough members we went in secret, haha. It definitely hasn't been easy, though. The hardest part is getting everyone to agree on a similar theme/setting since everyone has their own ideas for the project- unlike the Cute and Fluffy project the Pet project has some requirements and restraints on the story.

I've always dreamed of a big group-project dating sim with many people writing paths for the obtainables, but, it's really hard to get everyone to agree on one thing and stick with it, no matter the situation. Not to mention real life can come and mess everything up. :/ If someone came up with a story that everyone is willing to work on without needing to change a lot of details it'd have a higher chance of succeeding, but again that's difficult to do.

If someone is able to come up with such a good idea, though, definitely put up some rules that need to be followed and make teams for each route/story/ect. If people don't know what they're expected to do in a project, there will be more arguing than working. ;)

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#12 Post by Silvere »

Fawn wrote: If someone is able to come up with such a good idea, though, definitely put up some rules that need to be followed and make teams for each route/story/ect. If people don't know what they're expected to do in a project, there will be more arguing than working. ;)
What about the "Father + bitch daughter"-Story ? :mrgreen:

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Gear »

Something more neutral that everyone can participate in to some extent. I don't think a romance would work, since not everyone here is attracted to any one singular entity (except maybe Domo-kun, but I think that's copyrighted). Murder mystery?

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by CheeryMoya »

Murder Mystery might be too dark for some people, and not everyone can handle the thought of blood or gore. One thing that we can all universally relate to is a Slice-of-Life story since that stuff is literally based on everyday happenings. I think that should be simple enough to write about for most authors, and it's a fairly neutral topic. Although, the genre might be a bore to some... :C

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by HigurashiKira »

Why not do something comiedic, like throwing 1 character from each game here together and seeing what happens?
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~