[BxB/Horror] Water's Edge !demo re-release in Oct/Nov!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Asterisk
Regular

Re: [BxB] [Horror] Water's Edge

#16 Post by Asterisk »

I'm always good for BxB! The art is so nice and the premise is pretty sweet. Really looking forward to this!

As for the younger seme thing, I'm not bothered by it at all. In fact, I welcome it because at least the pairings can be diverse.
I hope you can add some kind of route for him, I like what I've read about him haha
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#17 Post by Reikun »

I think most people who would play a BxB game wouldn't mind a toshishita-seme route. I'd say, write Takano a romance route if you have the time/energy (since it was initially unplanned?)
Unless you can think of a really good way you can make a route for him without going off the main point of the story (since you said he wasn't that important to the plot), then you might want to put it aside as a "if we have time" sort of deal? :/ Just my opinion...

Great work so far! :C
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#18 Post by Joey »

Okay this thread has been really dead recently and I've kind of... contracted a minor case of writer's block so I'm appealing for ideas xD; If there's any type of scene (non-H, please /o\) you'd like to see, e.g. Atsushi and Ishikawa battle it out, Kanda catches Takano for his illegal hairstyle etc. or any particular cliche tropes you think would be fun to throw in for comedic effect, please tell us :3 At the moment the game is pretty depressing, and I need something to break the mold... No one wants to play a depressing game for one and a half hours :'D
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by try10 »

How about Nagisa eating something ( cake, something with lots of sauge...dunno) and he gets dirty on his hands or mouth and one of the other boys does something like ( lick the sauce from his fingers or wipe his mouth with his finger and lick it). :oops:

:oops: Sorry if it sounds too cliche or dumb. :oops:

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#20 Post by Anna »

And then there was a cake fight between Atsushi and Ishikawa, because the vending machines in the school obviously sell...cake, and... why not :D!

More seriously, adding something light hearted is fine, but be sure it doesn't break the flow of the story. It needs to fit or people are going to be annoyed just as easily haha. It also doesn't have to be something like a 'funny scene', since those are rarely really funny, but it could be something simple as a remark or conversation.

Joey
Regular

#21 Post by Joey »

Ahaha cake fight sounds good, I have an idea how I might implement that already huhu...

@Anna: Yep, I understand that, maybe I should rephrase what I've been looking for: a fluffy, cute scene rather than a comedic one? I should have been more clear D: The game atm is really a tad too depressing and lacking in most common BL tropes (fanservice, etc.) which is actually what most people read/watch/play BL entertainment for. At least, that's what I think xD;;

Mini_Moshi
Regular

#22 Post by Mini_Moshi »

I just finished the demo and I'm really impressed! I really like the dark, depressing atmosphere you managed to create.

As for cute scenes, maybe you could have someone have some sort of silly secret that they are embarrassed about come out? Like a secret addiction to candy or magical girl manga. I don't know. I honestly like the feel it has right now.

Joey
Regular

#23 Post by Joey »

@Mini_Moshi: thanks for the suggestions! xD Some people have told me it's fine the way it is atm, but it might get a bit too heavy later on, so this input might come in handy, keke.

We haven't been too active on this thread recently, so have some sketch artwork from Niki (which has actually been on our Twitter for a while now... :'B)

Question to those who played the demo: How did you find the main characters -- namely Nagisa, Atsushi and Ishikawa? I'm a bit paranoid because I received IRL feedback that Nagisa was whining a bit too much, and I'm a bit concerned that Ishikawa is a bit too boring. People seem to like Atsushi but I think it's just because he looks pretty ;; So anyway did you find any of them a bit too over-the-top, a bit too unrealistic, a bit too lame and uninteresting? Please tell us!
(this will probably lead to me having to rewrite parts of the demo to tweak their character, but I think as it goes the plot will be unchanged... basically no harm will be done, I hope. Err.)

Ginger
Regular

#24 Post by Ginger »

Nagisa was slightly whining, but I think nothing that wasn't expected considering what appears to have happened to him in his past. It's understandable that he has the habit of second guessing things. I didn't think anyone seemed unrealistic, and I really like Ishikawa. I like him better than Atsushi actually ^^ It's understandable that he doesn't necessarily stand out since him and Nagisa really hadn't had any need to associate with each other. Maybe toning down Nagisa's pessimistic side though could help a little. For the most part though, the characters seemed very realistic to me. I so cannot wait for the final release(:

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#25 Post by Reikun »

I personally didn't have problem with anyone so far :C I assumed that because it was just a demo there wouldn't be much character development readily apparent. I like Nagisa the way he is; I didn't find him whiny. I figured his personality will come out more when he gets to interact with the other characters as the story progresses (this is what I thought of everyone while I played the demo). Unless it's crucial that these characters make a certain kind of first impression with players, I think they're good how they are :) You could always inject more hints of each character's general personality (Ishikawa could probably benefit from this, unless he's supposed to be very stoic and mysterious as the first impression) in the beginning scene, but as long as the characters are pretty dynamic and/or show more character development throughout the game, I think they are fine!

(Hehe, I wrote this a while ago, but saved it as a draft and forgot to submit it until now!)
:oops:
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Joey
Regular

#26 Post by Joey »

Thanks all for the input! I feel like I'm getting a bit paranoid, especially when I have writer's block ^^;; I'm glad you all like them so far, I keep thinking that I have to make them more realistic or more interesting but I might just end up overworking them, which probably isn't a good idea... ><;

Completely unrelated but this is the (tacky as @!*@&#) menu screen for our (obviously failed) attempt at NaNoReNo... We might be releasing it before WE, since it's a KN and is shorter. :D
Untitled-1.png

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#27 Post by silenteve »

Hmm~
If you still want an idea for your game, how about if Nagisa puts himself in danger trying to overcome his fear (like jump into the deep end of a pool or something) after being made fun of or something (and he becomes frustrated with himself).
Then, while he's in danger, one of the other boys come by and save him. Like, if its Atsushi, he saves Nagisa but gets mad at him for putting himself in danger like that, so he freaks out and yells at him and then he tells him he doesn't need to try so hard or he'll hurt himself and *insert tender moment here*. Or if it's Kanda, he saves Nagisa, yells at him for not thinking things through, and then attempts to help him by giving tips on how to overcome his fear. (For some reason, when I imagine Ishikawa in this scene, I get the feeling that he'd let Nagisa drown 0-0)
I don't know, just thoughts.

Honestly, I never cared much for fanservice or fluffy moments. I prefer it when things happen more plausibly and in a way that doesn't seem too forced.
I really like the look of your menu ^^ Good luck with your project :)
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Ginger
Regular

#28 Post by Ginger »

That unrelated menu screen looks quite beautiful(: I'll be find no matter when it's released, as long as Water's Edge is released~! Good luck on both projects!

Mini_Moshi
Regular

#29 Post by Mini_Moshi »

I personally did not find Nagisa to be whining too much. He seems to have been through a lot, and his personality reflects that. Plus, since this is just the beginning there's the potential for him to grow during the storyline which is always a good thing :)

I also really like Atsushi and Ishikawa. For just a demo, I feel like I really got to experience the main character's different personalities and I really enjoyed that.

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#30 Post by Egressus »

First thing first: The artwork is wonderful. I really love Nagisa up close (that sounds creepy, doesn't it?). He got +1026 points from me for having black hair, but I'm off topic.

Anyways.
Nagisa seems okay in personality-- I can understand most of his paranoia. I can't really draw judgement on the rest, though.

My only complaint is the placement of the sprites. Nagisa faces the right and is placed on the right, Ishikawa faces left and is placed left. Whenever I look at them (with Atsushi in the middle) all my concentration withered-- I think it's one of the techniques when drawing comics, but the placement of the eyes/etc are supposed to help you focus on the important part. And for this, I suggest the middle. (Nagisa on the left, Ishikawa right)

And I'm not sure if someone else mentioned this, but I find the pace of text a bit disturbing. I think you should let the sentences flow freely without a pause after the periods. Those should be reserved for when you need a "it came across my mind late" thing.
Hiatus of hiatuses