Eternal Memories (BxG) (121,316) (slice of life)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Eternal Memories (BxG) (121,316) (slice of life)

#1 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

(Uh... it's still under construction, so there aren't any custom assets yet...)

Valentine's Day Thread

I am certainly interested in constructive comments. (Although, at the moment, there's not much to see, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to come up with anything. :lol: )

Eternal Memories is a BxG game with 7 possible paths. There are going to be significantly more than 7 endings.

The current word count is: 121,316

Positions:
Writing - 30% complete
Programming - 2 % complete
GUI - 0 % complete
Character Designs - 95% complete
Sprites - 40% complete
CG - 0% complete
Backgrounds - 5% complete
Music - 0% complete
Proofreading - </= writing
Plot
It's the last year of high school. Our protagonist, Tachibana Kansetsu is ranked at the top of his class. He has a condition known as "hyperthymesia," which makes it so that he never forgets anything. Other than this, you could say that Kansetsu leads a pretty normal life. Will anything interesting happen in this last year of high school for Kansetsu? Will there be change? Is anything in this world truly permanent? Let's join Kansetsu in finding out...
A * means that they have a path.
Characters:
Tachibana Kansetsu
the boy that never forgets
The protagonist of this game, Kansetsu has hyperthymesia and is the president of the study club. Because of his abilities, he is ranked #1 in the school. It's actually not that difficult for him, since he never really has to study to remember anything important. Because of his condition, his brain is filled with countless pieces of information on countless things, which, of course, comes in handy. He's been friends with Tanako and Kimura for a long time, and he's known Tanako pretty much all his life. This is his third year of high school, and he's hoping that it'll be interesting, or at least different from the last two.

Yamanami Tanako*
the dangerous childhood friend
The childhood friend of Kansetsu, Tanako is violent and easy to set off. Many consider her to be a tomboy or delinquent. She's a bit self conscious of this though, and she gets really angry when someone mistakes her for a boy. When this does happen, you can be sure of violence and the risk of death or serious injuries for the parties involved. Because of her superhuman strength and short temper, Tanako has developed a fearful reputation among the student body. In simply uttering a few words, Tanako can make everyone in a room scatter in all directions. When she's not striking fear into the hearts of others or pulverizing delinquents, Tanako is the president of the wilderness club. This is her third year of high school with Tachibana.
Artist: Tag-

Kimura Isamu
the gullible friend
A good friend to both Kansetsu and Tanako since middle school, Kimura is a very trusting individual. Kimura trusts Tachibana way more than he probably should, and Tachibana often enjoys taking advantage of that. Kimura's a good sport about it though, and he spends most of his free time and lunches hanging out with his two best friends. Kimura used to be rather sporty, but since high school, his interest in art has grown, and he is an active member of the art club. This is also his third year of high school.

Minami Sakura*
the silent transfer student
A recent midyear transfer student, Minami recently joined Tachibana's class. She was originally from the south, where she was good friends with Takahashi. For some reason, Minami doesn't speak. She's a bit careless at times and often manages to get herself into awkward situations. That, combined with how easily she gets embarrassed, does not serve her well, and she faints from time to time. Apparently, she's half Japanese.
Design: Maltagliati

Takahashi Eiko*
the stalker
Takahashi Eiko stalks Kansetsu. She's incredibly pushy, and although she's not bad looking and can cook fairly well, Kansetsu is terrified of her. It might have something to do with her trademark "creepygrin," which can drain the blood out of any reasonable human being. Eiko has pursued Kansetsu since the first year of high school and calls him "Kan-kun." She is a close childhood friend of Minami's, and this is her third year of high school.
Design: Lumen_Astrum

Inoue Kiyomi*
the lovable but troubled girl
"Inoue Kiyomi is a nice girl" sums her up pretty well. She has a warm smile and is very considerate and kind towards those around her. She can read people pretty well, so she's able to treat people the way that they want to be treated. Because of this, it's suprising that she doesn't have any friends that she hangs out with regularly. She really is a nice person...

Yoshida Aikou*
the cute, brainless underclassman
Yoshida Aikou is a member of Tachibana's study club. She's stupid and naive, but she's cute. Really, one could argue that she's too stupid to be anything but innocent. Tachibana has to spend a lot of time tutoring her, since she's so thick. She has trouble with Kanji, fractions, physics, chemistry, English... well... pretty much everything. She misplaces things, gets lost, mismatches her shoes, and screws up in countless other ways. Although this is her second year of high school, most, if not all, elementary school students would probably test better than her.
Artist: Reikun

Sato Naomi*
the eccentric granddaughter of the principal
The granddaughter of the principal of Tachibana's school, Naomi is not actually an official student of the school. She stares at the sky a lot and seems to talk to herself. She claims to be friends with a mouse and a bear up in the sky, but has plenty of other quirks on top of that. It's impossible to have a normal conversation with her, as her mind seems to be somewhere else.
Artist: Reikun

Tsukino Sabuko*
the cold rival
Ranked 2nd in Tachibana's class, Tsukino seems to be Kansetsu's rival. She doesn't seem to like Kansetsu and treats him rather coldly. Interestingly enough, Tsukino isn't involved in any club activities. Tsukino has various friends, some of which are in the study club, but she doesn't seem to have any close friends.
Artist: Nekomiira
This game will be free and should be appropriate for all ages.

Positions:
Writer: redeyesblackpanda
Design: Maltagliati, Lumen_Astrum
Sprite and CG artists: Tag-, Nekomiira, Reikun
Background Line Artists: Nekomiira, Aka-Kami, open (have plans to recruit as soon as possible)
Background Colorist: open (have plans to recruit as soon as possible)
Composer: retribute
Programmers: redeyesblackpanda (will likely recruit more, but not at the moment)
GUI: open (will have to get one eventually :lol: )
Proofreaders: SvenTheViking, Reikun, DragoonHP, MusicaFate, ebi brain (bold denotes main proofreaders)
Last edited by redeyesblackpanda on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:37 am, edited 75 times in total.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) (text only demo) v 0.2

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Glad to hear that writing is going well.

A little while after re-reading my last comment, I thought, "Uh-oh. That sounds harsher than I thought." I was worried that your writing might be bogged down by perfectionism. Hopefully you weren't put off...

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) (text only demo) v 0.2

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Nah, I'm fine right now. :) I just did a quality check and played through one path... I'm going to need proofreaders O.o
I'm planning on putting up a request when I've finished checking over Day 3 (it's written, but not finalized).
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) (text only demo) v 0.3

#4 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I've updated the software to the third day (the third day is a half day, so it's a bit shorter). I realized, playing through a bit, that I really need proofreaders. More info is here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=13311
Ooh! Tsukino Sabuko is introduced in day 3! Finally got the Tsundere character!
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) (text only demo) v 0.3

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Alright, there is a known bug with the Kiyomi path on day 2. For now, please avoid that path. It's a definition problem that will be fixed in v 0.4.
I'm currently working on v 0.4 and should be finished some time tomorrow. The only new stuff it will contain is a Tanako path exclusive day (Sunday, August 28). The update after that will have content for all the paths.
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) (text only demo) v 0.4

#6 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Alright! I've uploaded v 0.4. It has a Tanako/Kiyomi paths exclusive day. There are also some bug fixes.
v 0.5 is in the works and will contain more material for all paths. Also, if you're interested in proofreading, please see the testing thread at http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=13311
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) (text only demo) v 0.5

#7 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

v 0.5 has been created and the links are now restored. Thanks to some awesome proofreaders and a lot of elbow grease, you should find the writing to be significantly better than it was. I also updated the corny start to something slightly less corny. There is also an entirely new day! If you want to be a proofreader, please visit the thread (link in original post).
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Short Message:
Soon, no more updates for several months.

Long Message:
I've decided to change the way I'm releasing these versions. If I go by day, there will be a stupid number of releases and updates.

That's why I'm announcing this: The next release will be significantly larger and will take significantly more time to finish.

Also, I'm probably going to start looking for art before I get too far into releasing more, so v 0.6 should be the last text update. I intend to create a demo with sprites and art (that means looking for artists) some time this summer (hopefully, most of the text for the game will be done by then).

If you're interested in proofing, check the thread. After v 0.6 though, you'll have to PM me for the current rpy file, because I'm not planning on any real releases until later this summer.
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I've been doing some writing and updated the character descriptions to make them more presentable. Enjoy! :lol:

Random Comment: I'm really enjoying alternating between this and New Path. It's refreshing!
That brings up something relevant, though. I did physical descriptions for the characters in New Path and am considering doing them for Eternal Memories too. Anyone interested? If not, I won't bother, :lol:
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I've created a poll!

In other news, Tanako and Sakura are appearing in the LemmaTV project! I'm incredibly excited!

Edit: Removed outdated poll.
Last edited by redeyesblackpanda on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

There's been some progress and I've finished another day. I'm not sure I'm going to upload a new version. I'm also taking down the version that I have now. If you're interested in working with me, just PM me and I'll send you what I have. Hopefully I'll finish the path split and start working on seperate .rpy files by the end of February.

Yup, and Minami Sakura's character been updated to be even more amazing! ^_^

If anyone's interested, I am still looking for more artists... T_T
Tsundere VN

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Eternal Memories (BxG) Progress: 30,673 words (poll also

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

I don't think asking for artists is such a good idea right now. The cast list is about twice as long as an ordinary commercial Japanese eroge, which means that it'll be an unrealistic amount of work for the artist. Not only that, but none of it will be for pay. I don't even think it's wise to have a cast list that long even if you're going to offer pay, unless you're willing to offer a good sum and hire a professional artist.

Right now, I think the best thing would be to reduce the cast list to two characters aside from the protagonist and then ask an artist for help. That seems more realistic. Even if you do that though, I think it'd be a long shot to get an artist to volunteer. Once you've put out a product, it gets easier to recruit artists as you go on, so you could think about increasing the cast size to either three or four next project.

Alternatively, you could learn to just draw yourself, which could actually be shorter than the amount of time you'd have to spend building up your reputation enough for artists to volunteer to work for you for free. It's also the safer route since you can't lose the skills you learn from drawing but you can easily lose projects due to unforeseen events. If you lose a project, you're pretty much back to square one, while the skills you learn from learning to draw stay with you no matter what.

Muu-uuu-uuu-iiinnn~

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Samu-kun wrote:I don't think asking for artists is such a good idea right now. The cast list is about twice as long as an ordinary commercial Japanese eroge, which means that it'll be an unrealistic amount of work for the artist. Not only that, but none of it will be for pay. I don't even think it's wise to have a cast list that long even if you're going to offer pay, unless you're willing to offer a good sum and hire a professional artist.

Right now, I think the best thing would be to reduce the cast list to two characters aside from the protagonist and then ask an artist for help. That seems more realistic. Even if you do that though, I think it'd be a long shot to get an artist to volunteer. Once you've put out a product, it gets easier to recruit artists as you go on, so you could think about increasing the cast size to either three or four next project.
Ah, I'm looking artists now, because It's going to take a bit of time to get all the art. The large amount of art is also why I'm looking for multiple artists (that won't clash in style). I'm actually already working with Tag- right now on 3 of the characters. If you check that art description thread, you will see that it's possible for an artist to do only one character.

I appreciate your concern, but I still plan on trying to plow on ahead. I figure, this is a long project, and that just means more time to search for artists. Fortunately, I can still do work without artists and I still have a lot to write. It's not exactly a rush to find more artists at this point, but like you said, there is a lot of art, and art takes time.

As for building reputation, I might work on some small projects as well (I'm actually doing a module for LemmaTV right now too). I figure, if worst comes to worst, I'll be able to use the completed text only version to search for artists (but that's probably about a year down the road).
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I guess I'll introduce the team members (there are also some people that might be team members, but that hasn't quite been determined)

Maltagliati: is doing design for uniforms, Sakura, and other awesome stuff! (She's doing Sakura for LemmaTV)
Tag-: is doing art for Kiyomi, Tanako, and Isamu!
Nekomiira: is doing art for Sabuko!

Hopefully I'll be able to say that we have others soon! ^_^

The writing has been stalled for a while because I'm focusing on LemmaTV... Once that's done, I promise to pile much more into this! :lol:
Tsundere VN

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I created a new poll that had vote protection because some shenanigans were being pulled. In other news, all the sprite artist positions might be filled! ^^ I just have to confirm some things, then I'll update the team roster!
Tsundere VN