Dub or Sub?

For the rest of your otaku life.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Dub or Sub?

#46 Post by LVUER »

You could watch TV while doing something else? Some people could do that but some can't, dub or sub. Besides, some people want to concentrate when watching their favorite shows/animes. And for the purist, they absolutely prefer sub than dub.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by CheeryMoya »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:You're not the "typical person" I was talking about :mrgreen: I'm talking about the people that aren't really familial with those sorts of things (like the typical American who watches cartoons on Adult Swim and just happens to see Bleach come on and says "Oh, that's one of those Anime things, right?").
I see. Then you're talking about the casual viewer who is usually only exposed to the popular animes (eg. Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, etc.). Yeah, it's unlikely that casual viewers will listen to subs if there's a dub available, but you never know.
LVUER wrote:You could watch TV while doing something else?
Course I can! Knitting, folding laundry, doing homework... It's a hell lot harder to do those things when you have to read subtitles to understand what's happening, otherwise it's just noise in the background.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#48 Post by LVUER »

Yeah, it's possible I know, for some people. Actually, I read in a book (Men from Mars and Women from Venus); that woman is multi-tasking while man is single tasking. Meaning that woman could do lots of things in one time while man can't (instead, their concentration is incredible, that's why you couldn't disturb a man when he's watching world cup's final).

Well, anyway, I think sub or dub is just a matter of personal reference. There's nothing wrong or right in that. Note: I prefer sub all the way.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Funnyguts
Veteran

#49 Post by Funnyguts »

I prefer my characters to be speaking the language they are supposed to be speaking or thinking in. An example using Ikoku Meiro, set in France: I'd prefer everyone to be talking in French, while the Japanese girl who has traveled to Paris thinks in Japanese and has an obvious accent when speaking French. Anyone who watched the first episode of the show will know how confusing having the characters always speaking Japanese will be.

The exception is fantasy/science-fiction stories, in which case the 'common' language can be the one you expect your viewers to be fluent in. I don't need Lord of the Rings to be presented in Westron.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#50 Post by dramspringfeald »

well that's kind of a loaded question. See todays dubbing is far better than what it used to be, even 10 years ago. That's because those of us that watched anime back then are now old enough to voice them. A good example is Full Metal Panic, the Dub is every bit as funny and entertaining as the Sub version. Sure the some of the jokes were adjusted for us "Americans" but they don't subtract from the plot in the slightest. About the only problem is some companies are relying on the Funimation/ADV 'short list' and keep casting Wendee Lee for some ungodly reason.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#51 Post by PyTom »

dramspringfeald wrote:A good example is Full Metal Panic, the Dub is every bit as funny and entertaining as the Sub version.
Didn't the FMP! dub come out in 2003?

You know, I realize that I still consider FMP! a "recent" anime - even though it came out nearly 10 years ago.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#52 Post by dramspringfeald »

PyTom wrote:
dramspringfeald wrote:A good example is Full Metal Panic, the Dub is every bit as funny and entertaining as the Sub version.
Didn't the FMP! dub come out in 2003?

You know, I realize that I still consider FMP! a "recent" anime - even though it came out nearly 10 years ago.
lol Fine the New Fullmetal Panic...

Y.Y I just watched some of the new Slayers to see if it held up and well Dammit all.... I hate Funimation SO much.

Slayers Revolution * you can watch it on Funimation's site this is just quicker. :/
Lisa Ortiz will reprise her role as Lina (the new Wendee lee so get used to the high pitched squealing.)
Veronica Taylor will return as the voice of Amelia
The role of Gourry will once again be voiced by Eric Stuart
and Crispin Freeman will be back to voice Zelgadis.
Lastly, Michael Sinterniklaas will be voicing the character Xellos.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

icecheetah
Regular

#53 Post by icecheetah »

I prefer the sub about 90% of the time, but I often have to at least tolerate the dub because subs give my mum a headache and she likes watching anime films with me. I have discovered a couple of movies that had a great dub, and had a sub that made me think the editor had a headache when it came to checking the grammer. Or someone was very used to thinking in japanese terms. For example, I just watched the sub of "Paprika" and terms like "You were seeing a dream?" popped up every now and again. And in one other movie the dub made everything clear, while the subbed version seemed more like a game of mad libs. In that case, the japanese acting could be the original Star Wars trilogy to the dub's Star Wars Christmas special, but the sub would ruin it.

But as far as I know, subs THAT BAD in offical releases are rare.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#54 Post by LVUER »

I don't know if I've wrote about this, but the only time that I prefer dub over sub is when playing Ace Combat series (it's a game not anime, yes I know).

DeviantArt Account

Nightydreams
Regular
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World

#55 Post by Nightydreams »

When it comes down to watching or playing something, anythign at all. I will always go for it in it's native language first, simply because that if they got it right the first time (if a german movie in german is good) then odds are that a dub wouldn't be too bad (there are exceptions to this), I am not however blessed with amazing linguistic skills and so must settle for subtitles. So you could say that I perfer subtitles purely because I would not watch a dub first voluntarily.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

Keilis
Regular

#56 Post by Keilis »

Dub when it's decent with its voice actors not struggling to pronounce Japanese names. Reading subs, no matter how fast you are of a reader, takes away from enjoying the full image. When I re-watch stuff in Japanese without subs (since I know it by heart), I realize how different of an experience it is to simply have 100% of your attention on the animation. Modern dubbing's pretty acceptable, though FUNimation is in desperate need of a bigger pool of talent. They lack variety in their voices (see Hetalia -_-), and I'll rejoice the day when they stop casting 30-40 year old women as little girls. Goddamn.

If the setting's Japanese or has quite a few Japanese names, I still prefer watching with subtitles just because it sounds awkward in English (Sengoku Basara, Peacemaker Kurogane, Durarara!!). If it's anything else, I like dubs (Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon). I always try dubs before the sub; if it's bearable, I'll watch.

Thelo
Regular

#57 Post by Thelo »

I like subs specifically because I'm trying to get as much Japanese language listening practice as I can, and listening to the Japanese voices in anime helps a ton for that. I have no doubt that many modern dubs are of excellent quality though.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#58 Post by Blane Doyle »

Personally, I really do not care either way. *shrug*

I have poor eyesight so subs strain my eyes, so I do tend to lean more toward dubs if they are available because of this. But if the dub is horrendous then I will forgo it and just watch the sub version instead. There are many good or great dubs (FMA, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate) in addition to just ok ones (Naruto, Hellsing TV, Saiyuki in the later seasons). And then AWFUL ones (Karin. Just... KARIN. IT IS AWFUL.).

But then there are also "so bad it is entertaining" (Sailor Moon, 4Kids One Piece, the older Pokemon and Digimon series), like "I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I AM LISTENING TO" entertaining. XD

Not all dubs are inherently bad, while not all are inherently good, that is my view. I'll watch whatever I can get that is watchable in my mind.

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#59 Post by silenteve »

K-On! in English made me cry tears of anger.
Most of the stuff on Adult Swim is dubbed pretty nicely except Durarara (I hate Kida's voice) and maybe Bleach or Code Geass.
Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Ghost in Shell, that's all pretty badass.
Afro Samurai was fantastic, FLCL was just right.
Eureka Seven was <3
Some of the movies they dub are pretty good (I LOVE Howl's voice in Howl's Moving Castle. Ghibli films usually have good dubbing.) Paprika, Perfect Blue...
Beck was pretty good. For some reason, I find the Japanese version to be horrible. It's probably because I prefer to hear the lyrics in the anime sung in English by a native speaker...
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D