Any recommended books?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ZaqazDeath
Regular

Re: Any recommended books?

#31 Post by ZaqazDeath »

I think that StarGirl and the sequel is awesome. StarGirl is a boy's perspective and Love, StarGirl (The sequel) is a girl's perspective. (By Jerry Spinelli)

emeraldgreen

#32 Post by emeraldgreen »

Desu_Cake wrote:Anything by Terry Pratchett and/or Neil Gaiman. Two of the best authors who ever lived, and they did a collaboration! Terry Pratchetts books are (Mostly) set on Discworld, which is a flat world that floats through space supported by four elephants on the back of a giant Turtle. I'd recommend Guards Guards! and Soul Music most. Neil Gaiman's works vary in setting, but are mostly about the supernatural. I'd reccomend Stardust and American Gods. Also, I have a great love of Chris Wooding, Philip Pullman and Christopher Pike(His books can be closer to horror though).
>.< agreed :D
I'd strongly suggest Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett
And it may be a series for younger readers but I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series ^^ (hehehe me and my childish mind :3)
Airborn series by Kenneth Oppel was good too <3

emeraldgreen

#33 Post by emeraldgreen »

sake-bento wrote:I have a whole stack of library cards because I need a different one for every city in the area. o_o They're all free, though.

I'm particularly fond of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. It's a modern day spin on Greek mythology that follows the life of a kid who discovers he's a demigod. It's YA fiction, so it does get a little childish at parts, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm also partial to anything by Jim Butcher, most notably the Dresden Files. It's a modern fantasy series about a wizard/private eye for hire in Chicago. Kind of dark, definitely sarcastic, and very amusing.
<3 PJO all the way :D
-----*-----*-----*-----
the PEN is greater than the SWORD
the PUN is greater than the WORD
=w= >w< MEOW owo -w-
"Resistance is FUTILE. You will be ASSIMILATED, and ALL your code will SERVE the collective!"

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#34 Post by silenteve »

The Immortal Instrument series and The mortal instrument series :D

Also, you should read AnotherHolic, it's a Japanese translation. Very trippy.
Cirque du Freak, Demonata, Hunger Games...
And Clockwork Orange. But that's kind of a difficult book to understand because of the weird slang the creator wrote in.

GET A LIBRARY CARD! I check out like 30 books at a time until I read them all then I go back for more!
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#35 Post by Chushiki Maho »

I would reccomend The Forbidden Game by L.J Smith, I got it for my birthday and I absolutely loved it. It has romance, horror, action, supernatural, all that good stuff. Unless you're one of those people who can handle 800 page or more books. Then I say you should stay away from it if you dislike books that are way over 500 pages.
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by OtomeWeekend »

^I've read The Count of Monte Cristo and Gone with the Wind. Is that enough to be able to read that 800 page book? :'D

Lol, never thought this topic was still alive. Thanks for the recommendations. Once I bought bokujou monogatari and 3DS I'll change job to bookworm again and do some reading quests xD *my life had turned rpg--ff tactics style.

@silenteve: Apparently, I'm living in Japan so I don't think whatever eng. lit. that would be recommended here would be available at our local library(like how there's few to none at all Japanese books on your local libraries). :P

I'm stuffing myself with Jap. Lit. lately since it was quite expensive importing stuff. Though the last eng. lit. I've bought was a work from Sophie Kinsella. --I fell in love with her works. ^^;

LAtely, I've been hanged over chic literature---i only I'm reach enough to order stuff at amazon weekly Q_Q
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#37 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

OtomeWeekend wrote: @silenteve: Apparently, I'm living in Japan so I don't think whatever eng. lit. that would be recommended here would be available at our local library(like how there's few to none at all Japanese books on your local libraries). :P
Well, I was going to suggest the original novel that Battle Royale is based off of, written by Koushun Takami. If you enjoyed Hungry Games it is kind of like the original version of that. I like that it is long and goes into the viewpoint of each student. Unlike in the movie, in the novel you read all about the personal histories and inner thoughts of each student, making the events of the story all the more poignant.

His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman is one of my favorite series of books. It starts in an alternate history or version of our world where people's souls are separate from their bodies, but spans several realities by the end. It is ostensibly YA literature, but it gets very dark and deep. Very much worth reading. Skip the movie.

Any way, those are my two recommendations, and I know ONE of them will be easy for you to find in Japan since it is a bestseller originating there.

Raindrops
Regular
Projects: My Secret Spring (Co-writer & Proofreader), [Secret]

#38 Post by Raindrops »

Broken by Karen Slaughter Seriously, that's her name and she's a thriller/horror story writer? Oh the irony... It's got suspense, romance, gore, murder...I like these books ok?! I'm not a violent person - just interested in these things ^^" Didn't really help my case...*cries in corner*

I second The Hunger Games as well - amazing book even though Katniss does annoy me >w<"

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#39 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Files are very good noir treatments of a sorcerous private investigator.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by HigurashiKira »

Birthmarked by Caragh M. D'Brien is good. Tthe pacing's good enough to keep someone interested and it's a nice introduction to darker stuff for younger readers.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#41 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I recommend books by Terry Brooks (my favorite author). He mostly writes fantasy (and he has a lot of trilogies, although many of them are related). Some of his later books in the Shannara series are very good.
The Shannara series seems like fantasy, but it's technically sci-fi (not obvious at first).
I've got to say that I liked his Armageddon's Children trilogy a great deal too (it's post-apocalyptic).
Once again, the Shannara series is sort of that too, although it's not quite clear, lol.
His Kingdom of Landover series is also quite nice and lighthearted (and that's 100% fantasy).
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#42 Post by Anna »

Fantasy books I really really enjoyed:
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Scott Lynch) - Why and more info (hoho, I knew this would be useful at some point :D).
  • The Way of Shadows (Brent Weeks).
I still need to devour the other books in those series, as these are the first books. After that I'll move onto Assassin's Apprentice and The Legend of Eli Monpress <3... the fact that all the books are about thieves/assassins is... eh... purely coincidental, of course >.>;!

SvenTheViking
Regular
Projects: Chronicles of the Timetraveler's Wars
Organization: ProgMan Productions; Polymorphic Games

#43 Post by SvenTheViking »

I recommend anything by John Le Carre. The man is a fantastic writer.

In particular, get The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. It's the novel that brought him international recognition.
"Be not afraid of greatness: some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
William Shakespeare, "Twelfth Night"

Thyroid
Projects: Project White
Organization: Divulge

#44 Post by Thyroid »

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. A collection of sci-fi short stories, for "The Veldt" because it's massively creepy.

Green Angel by Alice Hoffman. Another short thing, strange and sad.

Kylock
Regular

#45 Post by Kylock »

Anything and everything by China Mieville. He constantly amazes me with how much sheer mind warping insanity he can stuff into one book.