Fated [Paranormal] [B/G] [G/G]

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
CharmKun

Fated [Paranormal] [B/G] [G/G]

#1 Post by CharmKun »

Does the soul live on, even after death? Can love truly transcend the boundaries of time? As Mina Hoyt, you will decide as you fight to solve the murders plaguing your small hometown. Who to trust, who to hate, who to love, it's your decision.

So yeah, it's my first virtual novel, so any constructive critisism would be greatly appreciated. It's not terribly long at the moment, but it took me a fair bit of time to get this far, any comments would be appreciated! :D
Attachments
Untitled.zip
(411.58 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Last edited by CharmKun on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: Fated [Paranormal] [B/G] [G/G]

#2 Post by kaleidofish »

Sounds interesting - I wonder if your game will be more romance than mystery, or an equal blend of the two. Having a lengthier description of the game and its characters would attract more people to your topic.

My only problem is that I'm not sure how to open .nov files (is that Novelty?). What program did you use to create your demo? Whatever it is, you need to distribute your game as an executable file of some kind, or as a text document if you only want people to read the script and not play anything. Thanks.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

It's definitely a visual novel, made with the Novelty software. Since the zip file contained only the nov file, it looks like the original poster did not fully export the game to a separate folder before compressing it. A properly exported visual novelty VN should contain a file with the exe extension, a file named fmodex.dll, and possibly (depending on how it was exported) a file with the nvz extension

If someone has Novelty loaded onto his or her PC, he or she can open the visual novel to read the text and see the backgrounds, but the sprites don't appear and the sounds can't be heard.

I assume this is a demo, as it does not appear to be complete. There are 'Play thread' actions with no named threads, and Branch actions with no conditions. I notice the story has a variable named LoveJay, a variable named Dimi, and a variable named Mom, but the story don't do much of anything with them. One page has the shake camera action, but there isn't a background image.

From what I can tell it looks promising, but the demo doesn't mention any murders.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

CharmKun

#4 Post by CharmKun »

:oops: I'm sorry, I'm very new to this...obviously. :( I reposted the file using the edit. Again, so sorry. Uhm, can you tell me if I did it right now? I'm really not very technologically savvy, but I really enjoyed making this demo, at least. But to answer the first question, it's going to be a little mystery, a little romance, and a lot of paranormal. :D

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#5 Post by fleet »

CharmKun wrote::oops: I'm sorry, I'm very new to this...obviously. :( I reposted the file using the edit. Again, so sorry. Uhm, can you tell me if I did it right now? I'm really not very technologically savvy, but I really enjoyed making this demo, at least. But to answer the first question, it's going to be a little mystery, a little romance, and a lot of paranormal. :D

I'll send you a pm on how to do export your visual novel.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.